1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 12:221 edit
    To control exactly what we think.

https://news.grabien.com/story-brzezinski-our-job-control-exactly-what-people-think

What have I been saying all along. Propaganda machine

From their own mouth in public.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 12:58
    Originally posted by Eladar

https://news.grabien.com/story-brzezinski-our-job-control-exactly-what-people-think

I reckon you're taking that remark out of context.

So far as I read it seems he's saying that Trump could control what people are thinking by undermining the media; and that is our job.

Yes, you could interpret it as: out job to control what people think, but I'm pretty sure he means it's "our" job to make sure that presidents don't undermine the media and control what people think.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 13:08

Not so, CNN said just the opposite and Fox News backed them up.

After all, they are fair and balanced.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 13:17
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I reckon you're taking that remark out of context.

So far as I read it seems he's saying that Trump could control what people are thinking by undermining the media; and that is our job.

Yes, you could interpret it as: out job to control what people think, but I'm pretty sure he means it's "our" job to make sure that presidents don't undermine the media and control what people think.
    It was a she and I didn't write the article. I would say that no one who claims to be the press should ever claim to control what people think.

Yes, I know in your world that is just crazy talk.

I am sure the video is available should you wish to watch it.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 13:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    Not so, CNN said just the opposite and Fox News backed them up.

After all, they are fair and balanced.
    They present the information, you decide.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 13:46
    They present the information, you decide.
    Exactly! It's not like they are deciding for me. They tell me what is going on and whether it is good or bad or not and I get to decide if how good or bad it actually is.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 17:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    Exactly! It's not like they are deciding for me. They tell me what is going on and whether it is good or bad or not and I get to decide if how good or bad it actually is.
    If you only hire people from one political point of view, then you don't even have to tell them to present the material in a biased way, it will happen naturally.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 19:33
    If you only hire people from one political point of view, then you don't even have to tell them to present the material in a biased way, it will happen naturally.
    You have a twisted, totally misinformed view of how people are hired by reputable print and electronic media.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 20:441 edit
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    You have a twisted, totally misinformed view of how people are hired by reputable print and electronic media.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/8/republicans-media-bias-claims-boosted-by-scarcity-/

Notice that the non-mainstream media, often labeled fake by the mainstream press, is usually conservative. Why? Because conservatives don't get hired.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 20:58
    There is absolutely no doubt that the media has an enormous impact on what people think. But that does not mean that that is the 'purpose' of the media. In China, it most certainly is the case when it comes to the state run media. In the US, there is a variety of media with different purposes. For some the purpose is almost exclusively to make money. For others there is a definite political agenda (often with the end goal to influence the government and then make money).
    There is some media with other focus', although money does play a part in almost all forms of media. Sadly, it turns out that quality is far from essential for making money and purely fake news can make significant amounts of money. Second to that is clickbait headlines which make money and are often dishonest, even when the content of the article corrects the dishonesty.

It is notable that only a tiny fraction of the large news organisations actually generate their own stories. The majority are in the business of aggregating and passing on other peoples stories.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '17 21:17
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There is absolutely no doubt that the media has an enormous impact on what people think. But that does not mean that that is the 'purpose' of the media. In China, it most certainly is the case when it comes to the state run media. In the US, there is a variety of media with different purposes. For some the purpose is almost exclusively to make money. For ...[text shortened]... n stories. The majority are in the business of aggregating and passing on other peoples stories.
    Would it be safe to say that the people she works for are a propaganda machine? She works for them. She should know what they believe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree