1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 19:20
    Originally posted by vivify
    *slow clap* Give it up for the most brilliant pedagogical post in the debates forum, folks.

Yes, pregnancy can be a worse option for teens. I'm not against birth control. That's why I'm pro passing out condoms in school, or even birth control pills, provided that a school nurse or physician finds it safe for that particular teen to use. I also don't think parental consent should be needed for this (my first post was a mistype).
    IUDs are far more effective in preventing pregnancy than condoms. A women exclusively using condoms is about 20-100 times more likely to become pregnant in a year than a woman using an IUD. http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/UnintendedPregnancy/PDF/Contraceptive_methods_508.pdf
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 19:27
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    IUDs are far more effective in preventing pregnancy than condoms. A women exclusively using condoms is about 20-100 times more likely to become pregnant in a year than a woman using an IUD. http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/UnintendedPregnancy/PDF/Contraceptive_methods_508.pdf
    I also mentioned birth control pills.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 22:14
    *slow clap* Give it up for the most brilliant pedagogical post in the debates forum, folks.

Yes, pregnancy can be a worse option for teens. I'm not against birth control. That's why I'm pro passing out condoms in school, or even birth control pills, provided that a school nurse or physician finds it safe for that particular teen to use. I also don't think parental consent should be needed for this (my first post was a mistype).
    "I'm not against birth control. That's why I'm pro passing out condoms in school, or even birth control pills, provided that a school nurse or physician finds it safe for that particular teen to use. I also don't think parental consent should be needed for this (my first post was a mistype)."

I am in a bit of a quandary about this. You didn't say this next bit, but what you say here raises the question of whether the school should tell the parents of a student's asking for (and getting) contraceptives. It could be a family tragedy if the student became pregnant or had an adverse reaction such as thrombosis due to the pill, doubly so if the school hadn't informed the parents. Further than that, the school might have a duty to at least try to inform the parents on any area over which they have taken responsibility for the student's growth and development.

On the other hand, some parents might react so badly that it would be dangerous.

On the third hand, if the school informs parents, it should tell the students in advance of this policy. But this might have a chilling effect.

It's not a simple matter.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 22:162 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 22:22
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    In the USA, girls and boys below the age of 18 are considered too young, by the legal system, to consent to sexual intercourse.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 22:25
    Originally posted by JS357
    "I'm not against birth control. That's why I'm pro passing out condoms in school, or even birth control pills, provided that a school nurse or physician finds it safe for that particular teen to use. I also don't think parental consent should be needed for this (my first post was a mistype)."

I am in a bit of a quandary about this. You didn't say this nex ...[text shortened]... s in advance of this policy. But this might have a chilling effect.

It's not a simple matter.
    I did mention in that post that a teen should be checked out by a school physician prior to receiving birth control pills to make sure it was safe for her to do so.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 22:34
    In general, minors are not considered competent to make their own medical decisions.

This issue is difficult and involves two clashing considerations. I'm not sure how I feel about it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 22:351 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 23:471 edit
    I was thinking of the age considered to be a minor. You are right that the age of consent varies by state between 16 and 18, but it is best to be safe and not have sex with anyone under 18 if you are not absolutely sure of the specific law of the state you are in.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 00:11
    I did mention in that post that a teen should be checked out by a school physician prior to receiving birth control pills to make sure it was safe for her to do so.
    Yes you did. I worked for a company that manufactured oral contraceptives. there was a higher risk of deep vein thrombosis in some women, associated with OC use. One way of detecting higher risk is to determine levels of "factor VII" as at

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Frits_Rosendaal/publication/12805023_Venous_thrombosis_oral_contraceptives_and_high_factor_VIII_levels/links/54a6d1a30cf267bdb909f1d8.pdf

which you can also get to by a search on thrombosis and contraceptives. DVT can lead to a pulmonary embolism which can kill.

I don't intend to send you to that link, I only want to point out that detecting such risk might be beyond the resources of a school.

The above could be made into an argument for informing parents if a progestin/estrogen contraceptive is used.

http://www.stoptheclot.org/learn_more/womens_health_faq.htm

Progestin-only contraceptives including some IUDs have not been seen to have this potential at the doses used.

It's a complex issue.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 02:201 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Yes you did. I worked for a company that manufactured oral contraceptives. there was a higher risk of deep vein thrombosis in some women, associated with OC use. One way of detecting higher risk is to determine levels of "factor VII" as at

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Frits_Rosendaal/publication/12805023_Venous_thrombosis_oral_contraceptives_and_high ...[text shortened]... some IUDs have not been seen to have this potential at the doses used.

It's a complex issue.
    Do all oral contraceptives have this risk, or just certain ones?

It seems that this conversation is turning into a defense of IUDs. If IUDs are really as safe (compared to other contraceptives) as everyone is saying, then I have no qualms with them.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 04:423 edits
    Risks of using an intrauterine device (IUD) include:

*Menstrual problems.
    The copper IUD may increase menstrual bleeding or cramps. Women may also experience spotting between periods. The hormonal IUD may reduce menstrual cramps and bleeding.

*Perforation. In 1 out of 1,000 women, the IUD will get stuck in or puncture (perforate) the uterus.

*Expulsion. About 2 to 10 out of 100 IUDs are pushed out (expelled) from the uterus into the vagina during the first year. This usually happens in the first few months of use. Expulsion is more likely when the IUD is inserted right after childbirth or in a woman who has not carried a pregnancy.

Disadvantages of IUDs include the high cost of insertion, no protection against STIs, and the need to be removed by a doctor.

Disadvantages of the hormonal IUD

The hormonal IUD may cause noncancerous (benign) growths called ovarian cysts, which usually go away on their own.

The hormonal IUD can cause hormonal side effects similar to those caused by oral contraceptives, such as breast tenderness, mood swings, headaches, and acne. This is rare. When side effects do happen, they usually go away after the first few months.

Women who have never been pregnant are more likely to have pain and cramping after the IUD is inserted.

Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) concerns have been linked to the IUD for years. If you have a genital infection when an IUD is inserted, the infection can be carried into your uterus and fallopian tubes.

If a pregnancy does occur while an IUD is in place, it is a little more likely that the pregnancy will be ectopic. Ectopic pregnancies require medicine or surgery to remove the pregnancy. Sometimes the fallopian tube on that side must be removed as well.

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/intrauterine-device-iud-for-birth-control
  13. Germany
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 07:10
    Originally posted by Eladar
    My gripe? Parents giving up their rights and handing them over to the government. The child is the parent's responsibility. If the parent wants the procedure, then fine. They can give permission. If not, then the government has no right to do it.
    If a 17-year old commits murder, are the parents responsible?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 07:46
    Originally posted by Eladar
    In the US we are supposed to be free of the demands from Society.
    I'm sure you will be able to back that up.

... You will wont you?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jul '15 07:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    ... but it is best to be safe and not have sex with anyone under 18
    if you are not absolutely sure of the specific law of the state you are in.
    This is why we need laws ... for the immoral.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree