Tin Soliders and Nixon Coming

Tin Soliders and Nixon Coming

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
22d

"The Kent State shootings ... were the killing of four and wounding of nine unarmed college students by the Ohio National Guard on the Kent State University campus.

"The shootings took place on May 4, 1970, during a rally opposing the expanding involvement of the Vietnam War into Cambodia by United States military forces as well as protesting the National Guard presence on campus and the draft."

"House Speaker Mike Johnson said on April 30 that the National Guard should be deployed to Columbia University and other campuses to stop the ongoing pro-Palestinian protests."

Moves
22d

@spruce112358 said
"The Kent State shootings ... were the killing of four and wounding of nine unarmed college students by the Ohio National Guard on the Kent State University campus.

"The shootings took place on May 4, 1970, during a rally opposing the expanding involvement of the Vietnam War into Cambodia by United States military forces as well as protesting the National Guard ...[text shortened]... be deployed to Columbia University and other campuses to stop the ongoing pro-Palestinian protests."
My ex wife was graduating that year from Kent State and was crossing the area when it happened. She and a friend headed to her friend’s home in Pittsburg. A few days after getting there a knock came at the door, which was answered by her friend’s dad. They asked if my wife was there and the dad asked who wanted to know. They ID’d themselves as FBI agents. The dad, an American patriot, was stunned to hear that the FBI wanted to talk to her. It seemed they found out she had friends who were members of the SDS, though she was not. They asked some questions and were satisfied that she was not involved in the organization or the rally. After the shootings she became a fervent anti Vietnam War protester.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
22d
2 edits

@spruce112358 said

"The shootings took place on May 4, 1970, during a rally opposing the expanding involvement of the Vietnam War into Cambodia by United States military forces as well as protesting the National Guard ...[text shortened]... be deployed to Columbia University and other campuses to stop the ongoing pro-Palestinian protests."
I agree with some of this, but not everything from the Kent State shooing days translates directly to the events of today. i.e. The anti-war protestors from 1970 were not harassing Jewish students who were there simply trying to get an education, and I highly doubt the Palestinian protestors today are the least bit concerned about drafted American soldiers who might die in a war.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
22d

@great-big-stees said
My ex wife was graduating that year from Kent State and was crossing the area when it happened. She and a friend headed to her friend’s home in Pittsburg. A few days after getting there a knock came at the door, which was answered by her friend’s dad. They asked if my wife was there and the dad asked who wanted to know. They ID’d themselves as FBI agents. The dad, an ...[text shortened]... the organization or the rally. After the shootings she became a fervent anti Vietnam War protester.
"After the shootings she became a fervent anti Vietnam War protester."

Yup.

'Disperse, ye rebels! Why won't ye disperse?!'

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
22d

@mchill said
I agree with some of this, but not everything from the Kent State shooing days translates directly to the events of today. i.e. The anti-war protestors from 1970 were not harassing Jewish students who were there simply trying to get an education, and I highly doubt the Palestinian protestors today are the least bit concerned about drafted American soldiers who might die in a war.
History doesn't repeat, but it often rhymes.

I don't know who said it, but it's pretty accurate.

Moves
22d

@spruce112358 said
"After the shootings she became a fervent anti Vietnam War protester."

Yup.

'Disperse, ye rebels! Why won't ye disperse?!'
Yup. She was a “peacenik” but became…more engaged…but not to me yet.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
21d

@spruce112358 said

And what happened in the Presidential elections while all of this was going on?

If I'm Biden, I'm praying this stuff fades away by late summer.

Moves
21d

Here's what the college admins need to be told: https://www.facebook.com/reel/353200101078168

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
21d

@great-big-stees said
My ex wife was graduating that year from Kent State and was crossing the area when it happened. She and a friend headed to her friend’s home in Pittsburg. A few days after getting there a knock came at the door, which was answered by her friend’s dad. They asked if my wife was there and the dad asked who wanted to know. They ID’d themselves as FBI agents. The dad, an ...[text shortened]... the organization or the rally. After the shootings she became a fervent anti Vietnam War protester.
Well, according to the right wing mutts on this forum, if she was protesting against the Vietnam war, she was obviously pro-goulag.

Man, the alt-right are so fukking stupid, one dimensional and brainwashed I could be writing their scripts for them.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21d

@shavixmir
Not only just stupid but voluntarily giving up the right to think for themselves, instead just subjugating what is left of their so called brains to would be dictators and there are more than one besides the obvious would be's like Trump.

s
Democracy Advocate

Moves
21d

@sh76 said
And what happened in the Presidential elections while all of this was going on?

If I'm Biden, I'm praying this stuff fades away by late summer.
Not sure what you are driving at. Nixon was re-elected in a landslide in 1972.