2012 RHP Prose Competition

2012 RHP Prose Competition

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
20 Jun 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Yeah, I'm sure that brand likes to pretend that it invented sticky tape.

It didn't, and it was called duct tape before someone thought of naming a brand of it after waterfowl.

Duck Brand Tape Brand likes to claim(tm) that it wasn't, and that engineers only started calling it duct tape after Duck(r) Brand(r) Tape(r) deigned to give them duct tape, ...[text shortened]... they're lying their commercial lies, so don't believe Brand Tape Duck Brand TM.

Richard
It didn't say it invented duct tape, silly.

DUCK is the brand name of the company that has the tape!

Sheeesh got to explain everything to some folks! 😛

Moves
21 Jun 12

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Jun 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Yes, better than trying to play chess! 😛

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
21 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Silverstriker
Thread 147141

Any one is able to enter please have a look at the thread link which is also in the culture forum

Silverstriker
Gone fishin'

Gone fishin' for an off the wall inspiration, for Sriker's "2012 RHP Prose Competion", behind some friendly purple moon or shady tree which offers a measure of privacy conducive to reflection. Most all of you know that secrecy's usually helpful when trying to secrete long since dormant creative juices and, hopefully, pry the sluice gates open wide to enable a torrent of words and tone of meaning to flow and take shape. To eliminate distraction radio, televsion and the MP3CD Player plugs have all been pulled for the nonce. Sure don't need to run the risk of an electrical fire, in this brand new highrise apartment, as the consequence of one olde fella's feeble though sustained efforts to fork lightning once again. Will make one chess move, read and respond to personal messages and emails once a day... until the submission's done. No exceptions. I would encourage each of you to reconsider your dismissal of the invitation, jump in and compete. Thanks for your understanding. Sorry if I've left any of you in the lurch. Best, gb

Moves
22 Jun 12

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Jun 12

Originally posted by Silverstriker
Thread 147141

Any one is able to enter please have a look at the thread link which is also in the culture forum

Silverstriker
Glad I entered the competion, Striker. It's a lot of work but fun.

😉

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Jun 12

not long left to enter 🙂 get those entries in 😀

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
30 Jun 12

The post that was quoted here has been removed
That would be like you entering a 1400-1600 chess tourney!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
05 Jul 12

just over a week left people

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
05 Jul 12

Originally posted by catfoodtim
So are you submitting something this time?

Originally posted by Very Rusty
That would be like you entering a 1400-1600 chess tourney!
Given that catfoodtim has a rating (on average) a little less than 1300, I presume that you're implying that should he enter a chess tournament rated between 1400 and 1600 that it would be beyond his capabilities?

If that is the analogy that you are drawing, then presumably you are stating that writing 750 coherent words of prose is beyond your own capabilities?

Don't do yourself down.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
05 Jul 12
3 edits

Originally posted by orangutan
Given that catfoodtim has a rating (on average) a little less than 1300, I presume that you're implying that should he enter a chess tournament rated between 1400 and 1600 that it would be beyond his capabilities?

If that is the analogy that you are drawing, then presumably you are stating that writing 750 coherent words of prose is beyond your own capabilities?

Don't do yourself down.
If you leave out your snooty insulting remarks.

You pretty much got it, I'm impressed! 😛

Yes, I'd have as much chance winning the Prose Competition as he would winning a 1400-1600 tournament. (Unless of course he is SANDBAGGING, which I have no reason to believe he is doing.)

It is always good to know your weakness & strength. More so to admit to it.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
05 Jul 12

If you leave out your snooty insulting remarks.

You pretty much got it, I'm impressed! 😛

Yes, I'd have as much chance winning the Prose Competition as he would winning a 1400-1600. (Unless of course he is SANDBAGGING, which I have no reason to believe he is doing.)

It is always good to know your weakness & strength. More so to admit to it.
No "snooty" insult intended.

Still - you should enter anyway. These things are more about the taking part than the winning.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
05 Jul 12

Originally posted by orangutan
No "snooty" insult intended.

Still - you should enter anyway. These things are more about the taking part than the winning.
In Your own words:

then presumably you are stating that writing 750 coherent words of prose is beyond your own capabilities?

The aforementioned looks pretty insulting to me, not to mention uncalled for.

ook

hirsute rooster

Moves
05 Jul 12

In Your own words:

then presumably you are stating that writing 750 coherent words of prose is beyond your own capabilities?

The aforementioned looks pretty insulting to me, not to mention uncalled for.
They were not intended to be "snooty" though.
Just insulting .. that's all.

Compare that to me stating that my son was in hospital and you saying "who says there isn't a god?".

You, VR, cannot go down the "that's insulting" route with your track record.

Moves
06 Jul 12