1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 07:16
    This issue was raised in a Star Trek episode (I fergit which one now). One of the Federation ships runs into just such a space ship on a generational mission and discovers that some of the people on board want out and are prepared to mutiny to get out. The 'Star Trek' solution of course is to offer those who want out asylum and transport to some habitable planet. This suggests that 'opting out' is part of what constitutes freedom.

A completely closed system where there is no 'out' is bound to get claustrophobic for some members of the community sooner or later, whether it is a space ship or a communist country with a wall around it or a religious sect with a mental wall around it.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Feb '16 08:14
    Originally posted by moonbus
    This issue was raised in a Star Trek episode (I fergit which one now). One of the Federation ships runs into just such a space ship on a generational mission and discovers that some of the people on board want out and are prepared to mutiny to get out. The 'Star Trek' solution of course is to offer those who want out asylum and transport to some habitable p ...[text shortened]... p or a communist country with a wall around it or a religious sect with a mental wall around it.
    I want to get off this planet!!!!

Seriously ... we are all "prisoners" in some way.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 05:11
    The most important thing you can give your children is yourself.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 05:141 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    The question is - if that is sufficient in the circumstances described in the OP.
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 02:21
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Hear! Hear! I second that!!
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Feb '16 10:19
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I want to get off this planet!!!!

Seriously ... we are all "prisoners" in some way.
    The planet really would become too small if any single world-religion or world-government were to get the upper hand and succeed in eliminating all opposition and dissent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree