Bye Bye Blundedog

Bye Bye Blundedog

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sdp
troll taunter

wherever I am needed

Moves
13 Feb 15

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Do you support slavery?
No

Do you believe that the Civil War was fought on just the issue of slavery, or rather, Lincoln introduced that argument to solicit support.

As a 2nd question, if The South had won the right to secede, do you think that Virginia would be operating slavery now. Obviously not. How long, then, do you think before the Confederate states abolished slavery and paid the ex -slaves (admittedly a pittance) to work on the plantations? 5 years? 10 max??

Finally ~ do you think the slaves lived in worse conditions than mill workers and the like in Victorian England (slightly controversial, that one)

Read a book!

Moves
13 Feb 15

Originally posted by st dominics preview
No

Do you believe that the Civil War was fought on just the issue of slavery, or rather, Lincoln introduced that argument to solicit support.

As a 2nd question, if The South had won the right to secede, do you think that Virginia would be operating slavery now. Obviously not. How long, then, do you think before the Confederate states abolis ...[text shortened]... onditions than mill workers and the like in Victorian England (slightly controversial, that one)
In 1860, the southern states believed that Lincoln, once elected, would work to abolish slavery. Once he took office, secession talks went into high gear. The issue for Lincoln was preserving the union, with or without slavery. He believed slavery would eventually come to an end anyway.

According to Lincoln, the south had no right to secede. If the north and south had split into two independent countries, I believe slavery in the south would have continued for many years. The two countries, even as friendly rivals, would be less prosperous and influential. And perhaps at this point, ready to reunite.

rc

Moves
13 Feb 15
1 edit

The closest thing you can get to the confederate flag on RHP is the Scottish flag 😀

In your face

Moves
13 Feb 15

Do you support slavery?
No slavery supports me. Ha ha.

Sorry, ahem. 😞

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
13 Feb 15

Hi Praxis. As a (very part time now) maths teacher, and with great interest in 'the South', isnt it more like 150 years ago?? back to 1865?

The Confederacy didnt start until 1861 (154 years ago). Stars and Bars adopted midway through Civil War (around 1863 ~ 152 years ago)

I would be proud to fly that flag as my (adapted) country
I missed it by six years without using google, scratch paper OR my brain.
Please forgive my "maths" error.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
13 Feb 15

Do you support slavery?
No, using people for one's own gain without adequate monetary compensation is wrong. We don't have slaves today, we have the poor working class serving the wheels of control.

If we had slaves today, they should use crotchety old turds like you me and Bob.

Read a book!

Moves
13 Feb 15

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
No, using people for one's own gain without adequate monetary compensation is wrong. We don't have slaves today, we have the poor working class serving the wheels of control.

If we had slaves today, they should use crotchety old turds like you me and Bob.
If the Republicans get into the White House, it could happen.

By the way, I'm older but less crotchety than you and Bob.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
13 Feb 15

In 1860, the southern states believed that Lincoln, once elected, would work to abolish slavery. Once he took office, secession talks went into high gear. The issue for Lincoln was preserving the union, with or without slavery. He believed slavery would eventually come to an end anyway.

According to Lincoln, the south had no right to secede. If the nor ...[text shortened]... y rivals, would be less prosperous and influential. And perhaps at this point, ready to reunite.
If it's any consolation to you
I agree with your point of view.

sdp
troll taunter

wherever I am needed

Moves
13 Feb 15

I missed it by six years without using google, scratch paper OR my brain.
Please forgive my "maths" error.
of course ~ maths error entirely forgivable

no need for anyone with a working knowledge of the Civil War to use any search engine ~ 1861 -1865

sdp
troll taunter

wherever I am needed

Moves
13 Feb 15

According to Lincoln, the south had no right to secede. If the north and south had split into two independent countries, I believe slavery in the south would have continued for many years. The two countries, even as friendly rivals, would be less prosperous and influential.
well, there is the 'nub' of it. The South DID think they had the right to secede, they lived a totally different way of life. That is what they were fighting for.

Slavery 'would have continued for many years'?? What is your guess?? Up to now?? To 1900?? Even that is hardly credible.

Certainly 'The North' would have been 'less prosperous'. Which is, fundamentaly, what it was all about

Read a book!

Moves
13 Feb 15

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
If it's any consolation to you
I agree with your point of view.
Thanks. 🙂 It is a consolation. Have you read James McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom?

Read a book!

Moves
13 Feb 15
1 edit

well, there is the 'nub' of it. The South DID think they had the right to secede, they lived a totally different way of life. That is what they were fighting for.

Slavery 'would have continued for many years'?? What is your guess?? Up to now?? To 1900?? Even that is hardly credible.

Certainly 'The North' would have been 'less prosperous'. Which is, fundamentaly, what it was all about
Exactly. The southern states believed they had the option to secede and Lincoln felt that preservation of the union was the overriding principle. If the Confederacy had become a sovereign nation, I think slavery might have continued until the 20th century, when American society and the world at large experienced some seismic shifts.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
13 Feb 15

If the Republicans get into the White House, it could happen.

By the way, I'm older but less crotchety than you and Bob.
Well get some bib overalls and your whittling knife and join us. We have hard cider and soft cedar. 😞

Read a book!

Moves
13 Feb 15

Well get some bib overalls and your whittling knife and join us. We have hard cider and soft cedar. 😞
Can I smoke my corncob pipe?

sdp
troll taunter

wherever I am needed

Moves
13 Feb 15

Exactly. The southern states believed they had the option to secede and Lincoln felt that preservation of the union was the overriding principle. If the Confederacy had become a sovereign nation, I think slavery might have continued until the 20th century, when American society and the world at large experienced some seismic shifts.
of course Lincoln felt that 'preservation of the Union was the overriding principle'.
Vast majority of the wealth of USA came from the Southern states.
They had a totally different way of life. Thus, in such a vast nation, dividing into 2 separate nations was reasonable.

Slavery was/is a side issue. You 'think' it might have continued into the 1900s?? Not by much, if then. Surely you will concede that?? Then the slaves would have become low paid workers. As some whites chose to do on plantations along with the slaves (though without the negative side effects!)