2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 12:42
    @badradger said
    When did you learn this noble game?
    & who taught you?
    My dad. I was probably 6-ish I imagine. I don't know, I just remember always there being the game. I started with draughts, I remember getting bored of that and then Dad thought me chess.
    What about you?
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 12:48
    @yo-its-me
    My grandson tried to teach me the basics. I accompanied him every Tuesday to his club and then he introduced me to RHP where he was also a member. As soon as I was settled here, he left and I stayed. I have never played OTB.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 12:49
    I learned that as a pupil in elementray school from a friend.
    Was then invited into a chess club and learned a bit more (though not very systematic and deep)
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 12:55
    @yo-its-me said
    My dad. I was probably 6-ish I imagine. I don't know, I just remember always there being the game. I started with draughts, I remember getting bored of that and then Dad thought me chess.
    What about you?
    Similar story. Hadn't played many other people until i joined this site, thought i was decent until i started playing here.
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:01
    @badradger said
    When did you learn this noble game?
    & who taught you?
    i was about 8-10 years old
    the local newspaper had a chess problem/trivia/puzzle on the very back page of the sports section, once a week
    my first chess set was plastic and cardboard, i was about 12
    when i was about 15-16 i beat daddy three times inna row and he was so pissed i remember he knocked the board all over the house
    we never played another game
    i joined the chess club in high school
    i thought i was pretty hot stuff, i wasn't
    in the us navy i played and learned, but not regularly or in any organized manner
    found this joint and got worse
    a lot worse
    now we are here and the game is like blood pressure medicine for me
    gotta take it or die
  7. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:24
    @torunn said
    @yo-its-me
    My grandson tried to teach me the basics. I accompanied him every Tuesday to his club and then he introduced me to RHP where he was also a member. As soon as I was settled here, he left and I stayed. I have never played OTB.
    On line felt very different to me to OTB when I started, but I'd say I'm used to it now.
    The person who introduced me to this site also left, it was my brother. I joined so we'd have a way of staying in touch that wasn't one sided conversations (he'd tell me about his city job and I'd tell him about his nieces, but with no common theme conversations felt one sided no matter who was talking!)
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:25
    @a-unique-nickname said
    Similar story. Hadn't played many other people until i joined this site, thought i was decent until i started playing here.
    I thought I was good when I started here too!
    Honestly, I usually win OTB.
    Here- not so much. Really silly click mistakes.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:29
    I’ve played at it for about, you won’t believe this, 50 years. A coworker introduced it to me over a lunch time. Even then I was more interested in the banter. Maybe I shuda just joined a “gab group”.🤔 I think he taught me a couple of opening gambits but I soon decided that I just “invent” my own and you can see how well that went.😢😁
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:30
    First played at primary school, then not again for 20 years.

Had a client who played chess, so rediscovered the game to form a connection.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:421 edit
    @yo-its-me said
    What about you?
    my wife taught me, just married and skint not even a tv so she taught me chess i was about 22.
  12. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:42
    @great-big-stees said
    I’ve played at it for about, you won’t believe this, 50 years. A coworker introduced it to me over a lunch time. Even then I was more interested in the banter. Maybe I shuda just joined a “gab group”.🤔 I think he taught me a couple of opening gambits but I soon decided that I just “invent” my own and you can see how well that went.😢😁
    Our games are some of the most enjoyable games I've played on here for the very reason that you like to gab!
    I think it'd not be the same if you were on a "bag group", it's nice to have a thing that's going on at the same time.
    Some of the best conversations I have with my son (he's 16) are while we're on long drives.
  13. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:42
    @badradger said
    my wife taught me, just married and skint not even a tv so she taught me chess i wass about 22.
    That's really romantic, I love that!
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 13:45
    @yo-its-me said
    That's really romantic, I love that!
    It was either chess or more kids
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Mar '23 14:02
    @badradger said
    It was either chess or more kids
    Or heaven forbid, Monopoly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree