1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 20:471 edit
    @torunn said
    Yes, he may very well be a better driver than many much younger people, but it doesn't change the fact that he should decide not to drive his car any longer - in my opinion. I know what growing old is like - our vision, hearing and reaction are not what they used to be.
    Perhaps not everyone has the difficulties you do growing old. Of course the hearing, vision and reflexes are not what they once were. There are aids people get to compensate for those things, like hearing and seeing, reflexes you compensate by your speed. I have NOT heard of very many 80 year old's and up getting stopped for speeding. 🙂 or reckless driving!

-VR
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 21:36
    @drewnogal said
    I suppose I was thinking of an age when someone has retired and one’s siblings and contemporaries are starting to ‘disappear’? When life gets quieter with fewer social contacts.
    Point taken but being of “an old age”, I am a firm believer that it can be said that you’re as old as you want to be. There are times I “feel my age”, physically (some arthritis/stiffness) but for the most part I don’t.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 07:151 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Perhaps not everyone has the difficulties you do growing old. Of course the hearing, vision and reflexes are not what they once were. There are aids people get to compensate for those things, like hearing and seeing, reflexes you compensate by your speed. I have NOT heard of very many 80 year old's and up getting stopped for speeding. 🙂 or reckless driving!

-VR
    I don't have any particular problems growing old - no illnesses, no severe physical handicap, no dementia but I know I am old, it would be ridiculous claiming I'm not, and I also watch my friends ageing and they have let go of their cars easily before anything happened . We can call it getting elderly if it feels better - it can be quite comfortable if we can relax and take things as they come.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 07:272 edits
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    What happens to a lot of older drivers is they travel less and not as often. That happened when I retired from work then when lockdown happened I was only allowed to drive to the supermarket to buy food. It resulted in a temporary loss in confidence but I know that my reflexes aren’t as sharp as they were when I worked.

Driving too slow can also cause accidents and cause other drivers to become frustrated as is not being as well genned up on the highway code.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 07:361 edit
    @drewnogal said
    What happens to a lot of older drivers is they travel less and not as often. That happened when I retired from work then when lockdown happened I was only allowed to drive to the supermarket to buy food. It resulted in a temporary loss in confidence but I know that my reflexes aren’t as sharp as they were when I worked.

Driving too slow can also cause accidents and cause other drivers to become frustrated as is not being as well genned up on the highway code.
    Exactly so. It can be difficult to change one's lifestyle.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 12:201 edit
    @drewnogal said

I believe one knows when they are not able to drive anymore, just common sense going too slow can cause accidents. This is when family or friends should step in if they feel someone is a danger on the road. Of course having said that, not much one can do if they have a heart attack while driving.

Regardless of age when we go out driving, we don't know for sure that nothing will happen, that possibility always exists.

-VR
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 14:55
    @very-rusty said
    I believe one knows when they are not able to drive anymore, just common sense going too slow can cause accidents. This is when family or friends should step in if they feel someone is a danger on the road. Of course having said that, not much one can do if they have a heart attack while driving.

Regardless of age when we go out driving, we don't know for sure that nothing will happen, that possibility always exists.

-VR
    In the UK we have to apply for a new driving licence at 70 then every 3 years after that. We have to sign a declaration that we have no problems with the following -

dementia
    insulin-treated diabetes
    Parkinson's disease
    epilepsy
    any chronic neurological condition (such as multiple sclerosis)
    any condition that affects both eyes, or total loss of sight in one eye.
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 15:02
    We’re now looking at possible restrictions for new young drivers. Ministers are considering plans to stop newly qualified young drivers from giving lifts to friends in efforts to stop peer-pressure car crashes.

A recent tragic car crash in Wales led to the mother of one boy talking to ministers about ways to reduce the high death risks created by new, young, inexperienced drivers.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/new-laws-young-drivers-need-28660246
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 15:04
    @drewnogal said
    In the UK we have to apply for a new driving licence at 70 then every 3 years after that. We have to sign a declaration that we have no problems with the following -

dementia
    insulin-treated diabetes
    Parkinson's disease
    epilepsy
    In Ontario, when you reach 80 you have to take a knowledge test, every year, to keep your driver’s license…and pass, of course.😲😁👍
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 15:10
    @drewnogal said

dementia
    insulin-treated diabetes
    Parkinson's disease
    epilepsy
    This is probably a good Law, but I believe just another money grab.

-VR
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 15:11
    @drewnogal said
    We’re now looking at possible restrictions for new young drivers. Ministers are considering plans to stop newly qualified young drivers from giving lifts to friends in efforts to stop peer-pressure car crashes.

A recent tragic car crash in Wales led to the mother of one boy talking to ministers about ways to reduce the high death risks created by new, young, inexperienced drivers.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/new-laws-young-drivers-need-28660246
    I believe young inexperienced drivers are more of a danger than old drivers who are healthy.

-VR
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 21:28
    @very-rusty said
    I believe young inexperienced drivers are more of a danger than old drivers who are healthy.

-VR
    Yes, they cause the most fatal accidents. We’ve had a number of multiple deaths over the years from speeding on Welsh mountain roads.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 22:361 edit
    @Drewnogal
    What country do you live in? You mentioned kids born after 09 are prevented from buying tobacco forever? Sounds like a lawsuit to me.
    Ah, Welch roads. Ok, UK then. Is that law real, stop kids smoking forever?
    Sounds like a good idea if they could enforce it. Personally I hate tobacco, never smoke it and never will.
  14. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 23:011 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @Drewnogal
    What country do you live in? You mentioned kids born after 09 are prevented from buying tobacco forever? Sounds like a lawsuit to me.
    Ah, Welch roads. Ok, UK then. Is that law real, stop kids smoking forever?
    Sounds like a good idea if they could enforce it. Personally I hate tobacco, never smoke it and never will.
    The exact date is after January 2009. As for enforcing it? I think young people may need to have to start carrying ID cards if they were born before 2009, to prove that they’re legally allowed to buy cigarettes.

My sons always used their passport or driving licence to get served alcohol as the guideline for those serving alcohol was ‘if the person looks younger than 21 demand to see their ID to prove that they are over 18’.
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Apr '24 14:07
    Australia made the mistake of not restricting vaping sales as they wanted to encourage smokers to use vaping to help quit. Now we have an epidemic of kids vaping they've restricted vape sales to prescription-only at pharmacies. I suspect the kids will start getting their vapes from the friendly drug dealers because the genie's out of the bottle. Normal smoking is dying out here, has been long before vapes arrived.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree