Do the days of the week matter to you?

Do the days of the week matter to you?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
05 Feb 23

@torunn said
We even have 24/7 shops, without staff some of the time. What's next? 🙂
I've noticed in a lot of big grocery outlets like Sobeys and Superstore just to name a few, one can do their own cash out no cashier needed machines scan it and your debit or charge card pay for it. Someday in the future there will be no cashiers, more jobs lost to technology.

-VR

Gothenburg

Moves
05 Feb 23

@very-rusty said
I've noticed in a lot of big grocery outlets like Sobeys and Superstore just to name a few, one can do their own cash out no cashier needed machines scan it and your debit or charge card pay for it. Someday in the future there will be no cashiers, more jobs lost to technology.

-VR
I wouldn't trust a shop or store without any staff present - anything might happen and you would be very vulnerable.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
05 Feb 23

@torunn said
I wouldn't trust a shop or store without any staff present - anything might happen and you would be very vulnerable.
No they still have cashiers and store personal, just that you can do it yourself and be on your way. I can see it getting to the point where they will not have any staff. Camera's will see the people in the store. They have that now in many places although they still have staff. I am looking down the road, just don't know how far down the road. I remember a time when you could sit in your vehicle and someone would pump you gas for you and you paid less, now you pay more and pump your own gas.

-VR

Gothenburg

Moves
05 Feb 23

@very-rusty said
No they still have cashiers and store personal, just that you can do it yourself and be on your way. I can see it getting to the point where they will not have any staff. Camera's will see the people in the store. They have that now in many places although they still have staff. I am looking down the road, just don't know how far down the road. I remember a time when you c ...[text shortened]... omeone would pump you gas for you and you paid less, now you pay more and pump your own gas.

-VR
I visited a newly opened 24/7 shop the other day. No staff will be there, you let yourself in with your phone and your bank id, you get the products and then let yourself out after having paid with your bank card. Cameras around but how can they help if you get into trouble, you can be robbed in a second.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
05 Feb 23

@torunn said
I visited a newly opened 24/7 shop the other day. No staff will be there, you let yourself in with your phone and your bank id, you get the products and then let yourself out after having paid with your bank card. Cameras around but how can they help if you get into trouble, you can be robbed in a second.
Oh I see your point where it could cause problems. Since when has that stopped them from doing it. It is all about the mighty dollar as you know.

-VR

Australia

Moves
06 Feb 23

So far we still have choice. Our local supermarket offers service counter, express checkout line, self-service checkouts with attendant available to assist, plus the normal checkouts for loaded trolleys. So far the self-service section hasn't had much use.

Gothenburg

Moves
06 Feb 23

@kewpie said
So far we still have choice. Our local supermarket offers service counter, express checkout line, self-service checkouts with attendant available to assist, plus the normal checkouts for loaded trolleys. So far the self-service section hasn't had much use.
This 24/7 franchising idea is new here. I imagine there will be relatively small shops but I won't be interested in visiting them. There was already a sign outside the door that there had been organized thefts. And the price level has to compensate for those of course. Let's see how the progress is.

Moves
06 Feb 23

@torunn said
Id suspect that you're much more likely to get robbed in a place without cameras.

Gothenburg

Moves
06 Feb 23

@trev33 said
Id suspect that you're much more likely to get robbed in a place without cameras.
We can be robbed in most places.

Moves
06 Feb 23

@torunn said
We can be robbed in most places.
I think Sweden is a safe country.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
06 Feb 23

@trev33 said
What country are you currently in sir? Never known a chap to move around so much. (Must be a tax thing).

Moves
06 Feb 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
What country are you currently in sir? Never known a chap to move around so much. (Must be a tax thing).
Currently in Laos, beautiful country. Could do with a beach though.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
06 Feb 23

@trev33 said
Currently in Laos, beautiful country. Could do with a beach though.
They have beaches in Margate.

Gothenburg

Moves
06 Feb 23

@trev33 said
It used to be a lot safer, but then I guess that goes for many places in the world. Much changed after 2015 - not because of the many immigrants but merely because we were poorly prepared and didn't have control. What we fight now is gang and territory related violence - shootings, stabbings, unprovoked violence, drugs - which I suspect will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better and we - as you say - will be a safer country.