1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:22
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Is not empirical evidence of what?
    josephw's contention that "The reality is society is getting dumber".
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:243 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think the nostalgia about these forums overrates what was actually going on and is propagated by those still here who are some combination of mean spirited, lumbering, malcontented and artless, and probably always have been. I think the forums were much of a muchness 10 years ago.
    Sir,
    As you asked someone else this question to a statement they made. What evidence do you have to back up what you are saying? Looks like just your own opinion to me. 😉 Have you ever been incorrect about ANYTHING???

Kind Regards,
    Sincerely,
    -VR
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:27
    Originally posted by FMF
    pffft...

I would definitely pay attention to the road in a self driving car.
    Would you?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:311 edit
    pffft...

Would you?
    It doesn't matter how you dice it, an anecdote about a guy in a self driving car running into a truck isn't empirical evidence of anything.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:32
    pffft...

Would you?
    Sir,
    I certainly would be!! 😉

Regards,
    -VR
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:32
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    As you asked someone else this question to a statement they made. What evidence do you have to back up what you are saying? Looks like just your own opinion to me.
    What else would it be in a conversation like this? Of course it's my opinion.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:341 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What else would it be in a conversation like this? Of course it's my opinion.
    Sir,
    You were asking someone earlier in this thread if they have evidence. So they need evidence for their opion but you don't.....LOL...Funny stuff, I'd like to stay and play but I got an early day tomorrow.

Kind Regards,
    Sincerely,
    -VR
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:40
    You were asking someone earlier in this thread if they have evidence.
    lemon lime was responding to a post that was seeking empirical evidence. He mistakenly offered an anecdote instead. The Flynn Effect, for all its faults or overstated significance, is based on empirical evidence and not anecdotal evidence. You wittering on about how much better you think the forum used to be, and me commenting on how you are simply wittering on nostalgically, is not a disagreement that lies in the realm of empirical evidence.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    It doesn't matter how you dice it, an anecdote about a guy in a self driving car running into a truck isn't empirical evidence of anything.
    You said objective or empirical evidence.
    Now you're insisting on only empirical evidence.

I knew long before ever hearing about an (avoidable) accident that I would keep my eyes on the road in a self driving car. Even with upgrades and refinements in this new technology situations can (and will) come up requiring some quick thinking and maneuvering on the part of the driver.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:48
    Originally posted by FMF
    What about it?

Complete sentences are a better measure of IQ, but I assume you'd disagree.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:511 edit
    Sir,
    As you asked someone else this question to a statement they made. What evidence do you have to back up what you are saying? Looks like just your own opinion to me. 😉 Have you ever been incorrect about ANYTHING???

Kind Regards,
    Sincerely,
    -VR
    Apparently, he doesn't even need to be correct. All he needs is a talent at getting those with an even lower IQ to agree with him, much like a certain Republican nominee.
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    lemon lime was responding to a post that was seeking empirical evidence. He mistakenly offered an anecdote instead. The Flynn Effect, for all its faults or overstated significance, is based on empirical evidence and not anecdotal evidence. You wittering on about how much better you think the forum used to be, and me commenting on how you are simply wittering on nostalgically, is not a disagreement that lies in the realm of empirical evidence.
    Oh good grief...

What say we all chip in and buy FMF a self driving car, with a built-in movie screen?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:52
    You said objective or empirical evidence.
    Now you're insisting on only empirical evidence.

I knew long before ever hearing about an (avoidable) accident that I would keep my eyes on the road in a self driving car. Even with upgrades and refinements in this new technology situations can (and will) come up requiring some quick thinking and maneuvering on the part of the driver.
    A single anecdote can't be objective evidence that society is getting dumber. Plenty of drivers were doing dumb things 10 yeas ago, 20, 30 or 40 years ago. Your anecdote about the dumb driver, at best, is objective evidence that there are still dumb drivers now. It certainly is neither objective nor empirical evidence that society is getting dumber.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:541 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Apparently, he doesn't even need to be correct. All he needs is a talent at getting those with an even lower IQ to agree with him, much like a certain Republican nominee.
    So do you think this forum was populated by a larger proportion of people who were "smarter" back then compared to now?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '16 01:55
    Oh good grief...

What say we all chip in and buy FMF a self driving car, with a built-in movie screen?
    I think you've got yourself into a bit of a muddle about what constitutes objective and empirical evidence of a change or trend.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree