London 2012 Olympic Opening ceremony

London 2012 Olympic Opening ceremony

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
28 Jul 12

Well did the UK pull it off?

I thought a lot of parts were weird, but then that's a British idioticicincrasy, isn't it?

I THOUGHT in general it was excellent, and I didn't think for one moment of all the NHS patients waiting for serious operations, as I saw the wonderful firework display, in ten different areas. 😀

The tracks are all high tech throughout the world, and Bolt will sprint into history books in the 100m, and thre'll be swordfencing that we all know sod all about, archery has just about finished, a few fish over 400m, and some names.

Was it a good opening or not? if IT was, then I hope the closing ceremony doesn't represent the medals won by Brits, but passes on with lots of yellow green and a Rio welcome.

What a waste of tax payers money...... so so sad!

-m.

Read a book!

Moves
28 Jul 12

Originally posted by mikelom

I thought a lot of parts were weird, but then that's a British idioticicincrasy, isn't it?

I THOUGHT in general it was excellent, and I didn't think for one moment of all the NHS patients waiting for serious operations, as I saw the wonderful firework display, in ten different areas. 😀

The tracks are all high tech throu ...[text shortened]... yellow green and a Rio welcome.

-m.
Great show, impressive and entertaining throughout.. though it must have cost a bundle. The cauldron lighting was unforgettable.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
28 Jul 12

Originally posted by HandyAndy
Great show, impressive and entertaining throughout.. though it must have cost a bundle. The cauldron lighting was unforgettable.
I thought some of the musical aspect was a bit cheesy, but the dark satanic mills, NHS homage, and the youngsters lighting the amazing cauldron were brill. All in All an excellent collage of Britains human story.

m

Moves
28 Jul 12

Where was the Elton John song? The entire history of British rock including the Pistols and Pink Floyd and they don't have 30 seconds for part of an Elton John song? Maybe the Queen is still mad at him for the Candle in the Wind remake.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
28 Jul 12

Originally posted by mercurial
Where was the Elton John song? The entire history of British rock including the Pistols and Pink Floyd and they don't have 30 seconds for part of an Elton John song? Maybe the Queen is still mad at him for the Candle in the Wind remake.
You might be nick picking but your point is noted, where were the skinheads of the early 70s with the good reggae music. 😞

I imagine everyone noticed a crime of omission, but that just emphasises the depth and breadth of the UKs cultural heritage.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Jul 12

Actually the opening ceremony was very, very... well, British.

Too bad we Americans can't even see the freaking thing live... we have to wait until our Prime viewing Time, when they can charge more for advertising!

Corporate America can kiss my... well, let's just say I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Moves
28 Jul 12

They put Pistols in, so I am satisfied ... 😏

Though, the whole concept excudes false modesty for such rotten kingdom. It would have been more suitable for some Scandinavian country, fx Denmark... 😛

Kenneth Branagh in tailcoat, Beckham in fast boat:::: it was acme of the kitsch.

Ro

Moves
28 Jul 12
2 edits

I feared this would be like the Millenium Dome. So keen to appeal to everyone, and offend no-one, that you end up with something laudable but forgettable. Whatever you say about it, the OC was anything but that.

The Olympics Rings being forged out of the Satanic Mills and the lighting of the cauldron, where each country brought one part which was then united, were the highlights for me.

And fantastic to bring in the NHS. There will be some people round the world, I imagine, staring in disbelief as to why we should want to focus on this as a theme, but it is one of the things I am most proud of as a Brit and will support what it stands for until I die.

It was quirky, ambitious, diverse, irreverent, moving, memorable and sometimes just plain silly. If this is what it means to be a Brit, I am content with that.

Ro

Moves
28 Jul 12

British idioticicincrasy
m.
A bit like your spelling. 😉

Actually I take that back.

It sums up the OC perfectly.

🙂

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
28 Jul 12

The tracks are all high tech throu ...[text shortened]... yellow green and a Rio welcome.

-m.
They should have had Monty Python do the ceremony, it would have been much more entertaining. 😞

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
28 Jul 12

Best part was The Queen diving out of the chopper.

GRANNY.

In your face

Moves
28 Jul 12

-m.
Sorry, missed it. 😴

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
29 Jul 12

Originally posted by Rank outsider
I feared this would be like the Millenium Dome. So keen to appeal to everyone, and offend no-one, that you end up with something laudable but forgettable. Whatever you say about it, the OC was anything but that.

The Olympics Rings being forged out of the Satanic Mills and the lighting of the cauldron, where each country brought one part which was ...[text shortened]... and sometimes just plain silly. If this is what it means to be a Brit, I am content with that.
Great Post! 😉

-m.

Green Boots Cave

Moves
29 Jul 12

Originally posted by smw6869
Best part was The Queen diving out of the chopper.

GRANNY.
Yes,that was good.Its a shame they ruined it by giving her a parachute though.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
29 Jul 12

Originally posted by vandervelde
They put Pistols in, so I am satisfied ... 😏

Though, the whole concept excudes false modesty for such rotten kingdom. It would have been more suitable for some Scandinavian country, fx Denmark... 😛

Kenneth Branagh in tailcoat, Beckham in fast boat:::: it was acme of the kitsch.
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark".

'hamlet' Shakespeare