On This Date in History

On This Date in History

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Moves
31 May 15

Actually - "The tradition of 'Majblomman': ...Hundreds of thousands of children are selling May flower pins every year in Sweden to collect money for charity... The Swedish Majblomma (the May Flower) turned 100 years old in 2007. 'Majblomman' is a little pin sold by children age 9-12 to collect money for charity, specifically aimed at sick and handicapped children. Founder of the enterprise was Beda Hallberg (1869-1945), a socially conscious woman who worked as a volunteer among the poor in Göteborg. In those days, prior to Sweden’s welfare system, nobody paid much attention to the sick and poor. Whatever help existed was insufficient and often given out at random. The main concern at the time was tuberculosis... The colour of the first Majblomma was a deep blue, but every year the colour changes. You can buy a single pin or a wreath.
H.R.H. Queen Silvia of Sweden, as tradition has it, buys the year's first Majblomma on April 17."

F

Moves
31 May 15

1968:

Carousel Ballroom - San Francisco, CA: set list unknown

1969:

McArthur Court, University Of Oregon - Eugene, OR
Set 1:
Hard To Handle
Cold Rain And Snow
Green Green Grass Of Home
Me And My Uncle
Cryptical Envelopment
Drums
The Other One
Cryptical Envelopment
Sitting On Top Of The World
It Hurts Me Too
Turn On Your Love Light
Set 2:
He Was A Friend Of Mine
Dark Star
Feedback
Dark Star
Doin' That Rag
Cosmic Charlie
Encore:
It's All Over Now Baby Blue
And We Bid You Goodnight

1980:

Metropolitan Sports Center - Minneapolis, MN
Set 1:
Alabama Getaway
Promised Land
Peggy-O
Cassidy
Loser
New Minglewood Blues
Far From Me
Althea
Looks Like Rain
Deal
Set 2:
Feel Like A Stranger
Ship Of Fools
Lost Sailor
Saint Of Circumstance
Wharf Rat
The Other One
Drums
I Need A Miracle
Bertha
Sugar Magnolia
Encore:
U.S. Blues
Brokedown Palace

1992:

Sam Boyd Silver Bowl - Las Vegas, NV
Set 1:
Help On The Way
Slipknot!
Franklin's Tower
New Minglewood Blues
It Must Have Been The Roses
Queen Jane Approximately
Bird Song
Picasso Moon
Set 2:
Scarlet Begonias
Fire On The Mountain
Man Smart-Woman Smarter
So Many Roads
Saint Of Circumstance
He's Gone
Drums
Space
Attics Of My Life
Spoonful
The Other One
Morning Dew
Encore:
Baba O'Riley
Tomorrow Never Knows

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
01 Jun 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]The “Star Spangled Banner As You've Never Heard It: The story of how our national anthem came to be. This is a story every American should hear. It's a little lengthy, but I'm sure it'll be worth your time…” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxGNQE5ZLA [youtube]YaxGNQE5ZLA[/youtube][/b]
Fairy story.
It never happened.

rural North Dakota

Moves
01 Jun 15

I read in the paper yesterday that May 30th, 1431 was when Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.

F

Moves
01 Jun 15

The American band Phish have never played a concert on 1st June but I decided not to start a new thread entitled Not On This Date in History, and, with your indulgence, I will post this information here instead.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jun 15

June 21, 2015

Father's Day and Summer begins...

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
02 Jun 15

Originally posted by ale1552
I read in the paper yesterday that May 30th, 1431 was when Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.
Wow! In a column named "On This Date in History"?

F

Moves
03 Jun 15

The Beach Boys - Stockholm, Sweden - 3 June 1980
California Girls ~ Sloop John B ~ Darlin' ~ School Days ~ In My Room ~ Good Timin' ~ God Only Knows ~ Be True to Your School ~ Do It Again ~ Little Deuce Coupe ~ Catch a Wave ~ Cotton Fields ~ Heroes and Villains ~ Some of Your Love ~ Keepin' the Summer Alive ~ Lady Lynda ~ Surfer Girl ~ Help Me, Rhonda ~ Wouldn't It Be Nice ~ Rock and Roll Music ~ I Get Around ~ Surfin' U.S.A. ~ Encore: Good Vibrations ~ Barbara Ann ~ Fun, Fun, Fun

rural North Dakota

Moves
03 Jun 15

Wow! In a column named "On This Date in History"?
Yes, I always enjoy reading that column.

Moves
03 Jun 15

June 21, 2015

Father's Day and Summer begins...
On this date in history...

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Jun 15

Originally posted by divegeester
On this date in history...
"On this date in history..." in the Year of Our Lord 2015, indeed; at least in the United States of America if not also in the UK.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
04 Jun 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Fairy story.
It never happened.
Sad to see that you're still suffering from this self induced affliction of Pavlovian Denial.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Jun 15

Sad to see that you're still suffering from this self induced affliction of Pavlovian Denial.
"Pavlovian Denial" is not in any of my psychology books. Enlighten us.

And check out your history books.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Jun 15

50 years ago today.
Married couples in USA can now legally use contraception!

(Griswold v. Connecticut)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griswold_v._Connecticut

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jun 15
5 edits

"Pavlovian Denial" is not in any of my psychology books. Enlighten us.

And check out your history books.
Monday, May 25, 2015

Footnote to History: The divine establishment principle of freedom through military victory is as applicable today as it was during World War II. Please join me in giving thanks for God’s continued protection of the United States of America and the constitutional liberties we still enjoy.

US Marine Corps War Memorial: “Based on an iconic image of the second flag-raising on the island of Iwo Jima during World War II, the US Marine Corps War Memorial is dedicated to "the Marine dead of all wars and their comrades of other services who fell fighting beside them…" http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/planyourvisit/usmc_memorial.htm

“History of the Marine Corps War Memorial: “In honor and in memory of the men of the United States Marine Corps who have given their lives to their country since November 10, 1775…" http://www.nps.gov/gwmp/learn/historyculture/usmcwarmemorial.htm

Here's a final tribute to Memorial Day 2015, previously sent to family members and a few other close family friends. Its audio narration with video illustrations has captivated the interest of 2,300,122 patriotic citizens since it was published on July 6, 2013. Enjoy. Boston Lad

The “Star Spangled Banner As You've Never Heard It:[/b] The story of how our national anthem came to be. This is a story every American should hear. It's a little lengthy, but I'm sure it'll be worth your time…”

"Fairy story.
It never happened."

@wolfgang59 "Primary School Teacher from England now working in New Zealand.
Left of centre politics, infidel (formerly atheist), liberal and general believer in fair play and "live and let live".

"Classical conditioning (also known as Pavlovian or respondent conditioning) is a process of behavior analysis in which an innate response to a potent biological stimulus becomes expressed in response to a previously neutral stimulus; this is achieved by repeated pairings of the neutral stimulus and the potent ..." -Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Note: Or a kneejerk gut reaction of denial.

Must be a few history books on the United States of America in New Zealand along with your own "psychology books".