1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 04:36
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    Hi

Big MK fan

However, I suspect that he played a lot of his latest album?

Nothing against that, it has just aged a bit, like Mark. I LOVE his energy and attack on the first 3 Dire Straits albums. As a guess, he only played 'Sultans' from them?
    Mark Knopfler - Dublin 2015-05-15

Broken Bones
    Corned Beef City
    Privateering
    Father and Son
    Hill Farmer's Blues
    Kingdom of Gold (with Ruth Moody on backing vocals)
    Skydiver (with Ruth Moody on backing vocals)
    Laughs and Jokes and Drinks and Smokes (live premiere)
    I Used to Could (Nigel Hitchcock on sax)
    Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits song) (Nigel Hitchcock on sax)
    Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits song)
    Mighty Man
    Postcards from Paraguay
    Marbletown
    Speedway at Nazareth
    Telegraph Road (Dire Straits song)
    Encore:
    So Far Away (Dire Straits song)
    Our Shangri-La
    Wherever I Go (with Ruth Moody on vocals and… more )
    Going Home: Theme from Local Hero (Nigel Hitchcock on sax)

Mark Knopfler - 2015-05-16 - Manchester

Broken Bones
    Corned Beef City
    Privateering
    Father and Son
    Hill Farmer's Blues
    Kingdom of Gold (with Ruth Moody on backing vocals)
    Skydiver (with Ruth Moody on backing vocals)
    Laughs and Jokes and Drinks and Smokes
    I Used to Could (Nigel Hitchcock on sax)
    Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits song) (Nigel Hitchcock on sax)
    Sultans of Swing (Dire Straits song)
    Mighty Man
    Postcards from Paraguay
    Marbletown
    Speedway at Nazareth
    Telegraph Road (Dire Straits song)
    Encore:
    So Far Away (Dire Straits song)
    Our Shangri-La
    Wherever I Go (with Ruth Moody on vocals and… more )
    Going Home: Theme from Local Hero
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 04:56
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    Nothing against that, it has just aged a bit, like Mark. I LOVE his energy and attack on the first 3 Dire Straits albums. As a guess, he only played 'Sultans' from them?
    Mark Knopfler has played 641 solo concerts since 1986 and these are the 10 most frequently played songs (and how many times they were played)...

1 What It Is ~ 506
    2 Romeo and Juliet ~ 492
    3 So Far Away ~ 480
    4 Telegraph Road ~ 478
    5 Brothers in Arms ~ 450
    6 Speedway at Nazareth ~ 445
    7 Sultans of Swing ~ 428
    8 Sailing to Philadelphia ~ 373
    9 Marbletown ~ 339
    10 Hill Farmer's Blues ~ 333

On his current "Tracker" tour, after 15 gigs, Knopfler has played Romeo and Juliet, Hill Farmer's Blues, Telegraph Road, Sultans of Swing, So Far Away [all from his Dire Straits catalogue] each 13 times [blimey, he may be using a spreadsheet!] and Brothers In Arms twice.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 06:10
    Wherever Swans play next.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 06:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    On his current "Tracker" tour, after 15 gigs, Knopfler has played Romeo and Juliet, Hill Farmer's Blues, Telegraph Road, Sultans of Swing, So Far Away [all from his Dire Straits catalogue] each 13 times [blimey, he may be using a spreadsheet!] and Brothers In Arms twice.
    "Hill Farmer's Blues" is not a Dire Straits song.
  5. wherever I am needed
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 06:431 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Mark Knopfler has played 641 solo concerts since 1986 and these are the 10 most frequently played songs (and how many times they were played)...

1 What It Is ~ 506
    2 Romeo and Juliet ~ 492
    3 So Far Away ~ 480
    4 Telegraph Road ~ 478
    5 Brothers in Arms ~ 450
    6 Speedway at Nazareth ~ 445
    7 Sultans of Swing ~ 428
    8 Sailing to Philadelphia ~ 373
    9 ...[text shortened]... ts catalogue] each 13 times [blimey, he may be using a spreadsheet!] and Brothers In Arms twice.
    Thank you very much, excellent research. 5 each from DS/solo then? I would feel very cheated if he didnt play Sultans ~ the version on Alchemy is sublime.

I gave this tour a miss ~ saw MK in Mcr 5 years ago, and supporting Bob Dylan (I think) 3 years ago. (I mean I think it was 3 years ago, sure he was supporting Bob!!)

His duet with Van Morrison on the recent Van album 'Duets' is one of the stronger tracks on that album
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 13:07
    Knopfler had a terrific band with him last night in Zurich, incl. Richard Bennett and Guy Fletcher. He played a mix of recent and older songs going back to his first DS album. I don't recall everything he played last night, and some of it was unfamiliar to me. Roughly: bits from Privateering and Get Lucky, Sultans of Swing (probably about 12 minutes long), Romeo & Juliet (again about 12 minutes), Telegraph Road (ditto), Speedway at Nazareth, Post Cards from Paraguay, and others, to a standing ovation, followed by three encores: So Far Away, Bros. in Arms, and Local Hero Theme. 2 -1/2 hours all told. He clearly enjoys playing. He makes it look so easy, hardly worked up a sweat. 3d time I've seen him (twice w/ DS in the 1980s in Germany); he's aging well, like good wine.

I've seen Clapton, Page, Santana, BB King, Allman Bros. Band, Zappa, Andres Segovia, and Pat Metheny. Jeff Beck still to go before one of us kicks the bucket.

Segovia, btw, held an entire auditorium breathless for an hour; he took his stool, gave the audience one stern look, and waited until the room was silent. No one dared to cough or clear his throat until he finished. I have never since seen one man w/ one acoustic instrument command such respect.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 15:12
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Sorry, but "gigs" are where musicians go to play and get paid to play. A "gig" is a musician's job for the night, not a performance a non-musician pays to see. You can't appropriate the musician's lingo to talk about something you paid to see, it just doesn't make sense.

When you pay to see a musician play, that's called a "concert". It may be just an ...[text shortened]... "gig" for him, but it's not a "gig" for you. You're not getting paid to perform. He is.
    well then, I would like to be the bass player playing bass at the concert where Eric Clapton first played Layla.
  8. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    02 Jun '15 16:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    well then, I would like to be the bass player playing bass at the concert where Eric Clapton first played Layla.
    the urban dictionary states that attending a gig is going to watch a live musical performance, gigging is to go dancing.
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    06 Jul '15 08:131 edit
    I might try for a Farinelli concert, maybe the famous Artasere premiere in London 1734.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 13:46
    This one seems to have not gotten all the attention it would deserve?
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 19:20
    GG Allin.

Google it.
  12. Rohan
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 19:25
    Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins:

YouTube
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 20:10
    Originally posted by redbadger
    the urban dictionary states that attending a gig is going to watch a live musical performance, gigging is to go dancing.
    Common usage rarely displays common sense. Just because you use the word "gig", it doesn't make you any more cool or hip.
  14. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 20:17
    gigs come to me

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree