Phrases you don't like

Phrases you don't like

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
17 Nov 16

Originally posted by Ashiitaka
[b]"with all due respect"
It's redundant, and basically means prepare to be disrespected.[/b]
Hint: "due" is the operative word.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
17 Nov 16

Originally posted by lemon lime
Hint: "due" is the operative word.
Or it could just mean you may not like what you are about to hear. 😉

-VR

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
17 Nov 16

Originally posted by Very Rusty
Or it could just mean you may not like what you are about to hear. 😉

-VR
That's usually what it means, but "all due respect" can mean one of two other things. It can mean "I'm not disrespecting you when I say" or it can imply you're only entitled to the respect you've earned. I think what it literally means is 'due' respect for position or office without agreeing with someone holding the position or office.

It can have or not have a negative connotation, depending on the context.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
17 Nov 16
1 edit

Originally posted by lemon lime
That's usually what it means, but "all due respect" can mean one of two other things. It can mean "I'm not disrespecting you when I say" or it can imply you're only entitled to the respect you've earned. I think what it literally means is 'due' respect for position or office without agreeing with someone holding the position or office.

It can have or not have a negative connotation, depending on the context.
with (or with all due) respect
phrase of respect
used as a polite formula preceding, and intended to mitigate the effect of, an expression of disagreement or criticism.
"with all due respect, Father, I think you've got to be more broad-minded these days"

It can have or not have a negative connotation, depending on the context. ( I agree with that) With "all due respect" of course. 😉

-VR

Moves
17 Nov 16

"Don´t be offended, but..."
"I hope I didn¨t ofend you..."