rating

Standard memberRemoved
General 14 May '17 18:27
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 May '17 18:27
    Why are there people here who will only play a much lower rated player?
    I have noticed someone with a rating of over 1800 who will only play people under 1300. Is this just to raise your rating?
    And if so, what is the point.?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 May '17 18:51
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I have noticed someone with a rating of over 1800 who will only play people under 1300. Is this just to raise your rating?
    checkbaiter,

You have to play a lot of game with people under 1300 if you have a rating over 1800. I don't know the math, but sure it will be pointed out by someone how many points you would gain. I do know it wouldn't be very much.

I prefer to play people around my own rating, no more than 200 points rated higher. When I was going to a chess club they use to say it was ok to play people 200 points lower or higher than your own rating. Playing lower rated all the time, can make you sloppy in your moves as you can get away with moves you wouldn't get away with higher rated.

-VR
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 May '17 20:53
    It is mysterious coz it depends om taste or some Freudian complexes, as, for example, men prefer girls no higher than 5 feet 4 inches.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 May '17 21:57
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    It is mysterious coz it depends om taste or some Freudian complexes, as, for example, men prefer girls no higher than 5 feet 4 inches.
    Lol
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 May '17 22:031 edit
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    checkbaiter,

You have to play a lot of game with people under 1300 if you have a rating over 1800. I don't know the math, but sure it will be pointed out by someone how many points you would gain. I do know it wouldn't be very much.

I prefer to play people around my own rating, no more than 200 points rated higher. When I was going to a chess club ...[text shortened]... ppy in your moves as you can get away with moves you wouldn't get away with higher rated.

-VR
    Strange, but there is someone rated over 1800 right now on the invites section but will only play someone between 1200-1300.
    It seems to be a strange way to assure victories. But the rating would be false.
    To each his own I suppose.
    😉

Just checked and he is gone...
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 May '17 23:05
    Strange, but there is someone rated over 1800 right now on the invites section but will only play someone between 1200-1300.

But the rating would be false.
    Why would the rating be false?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 May '17 00:20
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Why would the rating be false?
    You would think an 1800 rated player could compete with another player of the same caliber. But if you consistently get that rating by playing weaker opponents... well, I think you know where I'm going.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 May '17 00:51
    You would think an 1800 rated player could compete with another player of the same caliber. But if you consistently get that rating by playing weaker opponents... well, I think you know where I'm going.
    Did you check his games to see if he was 'consistently player lower ranked players'?

Would have a lot of games against 1300s and below to get to 1800. Not impossible though
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 May '17 01:53
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Did you check his games to see if he was 'consistently player lower ranked players'?

Would have a lot of games against 1300s and below to get to 1800. Not impossible though
    No, the invite is gone, so I don't know for certain. It was just a puzzling thought .
    Maybe it was just a one time thing, no big deal.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 May '17 05:30
    No - I don't know where you are going.

Regardless of what grade players you compete against your resulting grade is a true and fair reflection of your strength.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    15 May '17 13:21
    It is difficult to say without more details and a review of the 1800 payer's games. There could be any of several motivations: e.g. Someone who likes to mentor lower rated players, someone who can't bear to risk a loss, someone who is trying out some prepared tricks or traps, someone with an ego issue who feels a need to inflate his rating, ...
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 May '17 14:251 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    No - I don't know where you are going.

Regardless of what grade players you compete against your resulting grade is a true and fair reflection of your strength.
    If we are very pedantic we would put it thus:

Regardless of what grade players you compete against your resulting grade is a true and fair reflection of your strength in the Group you played.

If a Player wants a high Rating he will Play Players against whom he will surely win. This results in a Rating graph which resembles a Saturation curve. If that Player loses a big step in the Rating is observed. I have seen quite a few during the years. The question remaisn what their inetntion is.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 May '17 16:43
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    If a Player wants a high Rating he will Play Players against whom he will surely win. This results in a Rating graph which resembles a Saturation curve. If that Player loses a big step in the Rating is observed. I have seen quite a few during the years. The question remaisn what their inetntion is.
    There may be unknown circumstances which would cause a Saturation curve. Sometimes the graph doesn't tell all.

-VR
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 May '17 21:17
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    If we are very pedantic we would put it thus:

Regardless of what grade players you compete against your resulting grade is a true and fair reflection of your strength in the Group you played.

If a Player wants a high Rating he will Play Players against whom he will surely win. This results in a Rating graph which resembles a Saturatio ...[text shortened]... bserved. I have seen quite a few during the years. The question remaisn what their inetntion is.
    The higher percentage chance of you winning a game - the fewer points you get.
    when your chances of victory are 100% ... you get nothing.

The system can be played with (see Claude Bloodgood) by using a closed pool.
    That means not only you playing a selected group of players but those players
    themselves only playing within the group.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 May '17 03:08
    I've noticed a few players who do this. If you're a bit better than (in this case) 1300 then the chances are you will win most if not all of your games, thus creeping up the ratings by slow degrees. Pitch this player against somebody of equal rating to themselves and of course there's a much better chance that they will lose, so you never know how good you really are. (Or in my case it would be how bad you really are...)This is why I always play against people within my 100 bracket; I prefer a fairly level playing field.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree