1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 07:411 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Thanks for providing a spectacular example of someone who doesn't "get it". With an attitude like this, you are part of the problem.
    I'm part of what problem...users sending females unsolicited in-game messages?

Firstly the world is full of weirdos and creeps, the internet especially, so if you are a female concerned about privacy and about to join a correspondence site, it is probably best to not call yourself "Miss" don't you think?

Secondly this user is not a subscriber and has had long periods away from the site and a low game commitment, so why doesn't "it" simple re-enrole under a new name?

Thirdly, try not to be such hair-trigger pseudo-feminist and let your hairy Albanian bare-knuckle fighter self come through a little more darling.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 08:28
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    You say that like it's a bad thing. πŸ˜•
    You say that like it's a good thing. πŸ˜•
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 08:351 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Was it painful? 😡
    My experience of PE class in high school was painful: get picked last, get knocked down, cry, go back to locker room... Humiliation came with the turf, I just accepted it. Joined the chess club, found like-minded souls. Lack of cheerleaders for the chess team proved to be a relief.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 09:32
    Originally posted by divegeester

Firstly the world is full of weirdos and creeps, the internet especially, so if you are a female concerned about privacy and about to join a correspondence site, it is probably best to not call yourself "Miss" don't you think?

Secondly this user is not a subscriber and ...[text shortened]... minist and let your hairy Albanian bare-knuckle fighter self come through a little more darling.
    Firstly, you know she's probably a "she", so why insult her by calling her an "it"?

Secondly, by saying she should "re-apply" here, you're showing that you simply don't give a rat's ass about her problem.

So unless you're willing to actually provide a real solution to her, maybe you should just keep your misogynist mouth shut.
  5. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 11:12
    divegester and Suzianne there seems to be a communication problem

divegesterseems to see the problem from a solution point of view, which I would paraphrase:
    "The situation is NOW as it is. If you want it to become better you can either expect others to change (highly unlikely) or you can change e.g. new account with new username or ask Russ for a change (not unheard of)"

Suzianne seems to see the point thus:
    "Something bad happened and our task is to have sympathy with MissR and clearly to state it was not her fault, but those of the men she mentioned."

Please let missR decide what she wants. The problems are:

* if she follows divegesters advice she could be perceived as the one ducking down, and thus declairing those men right.
    * If she takes her stand she could be perceived as a person who whines and is not ready to do what is in HER power to change things.

So which shall it be?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 12:082 edits
    Last year I carried out a small experiment; I changed my profile pic to a young pretty girl and my profile text to read that I was an aspiring clothes designer and keen to learn chess. Within 24 hours I had several hopeful nerd males making game offers and sending me friendly "get to know you" in game messages and PMs, so I'm well aware of the issue.

However, here we are in the 22nd century and what, 15 years into mainstream internet social networking. I'm a pragmatist not a misogynist Suzanne, so my advice is a simple "WAKEY WAKEY".

πŸ™‚

Edit: the "it" was reference to the possibility that the said user was in fact a sock-puppet and not a real female. I think Suzanne knew that, but nevertheless if I'm wrong on both counts then I apologise.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 13:03
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    You say that like it's a bad thing. πŸ˜•
    [ don't go there - it's probably gay* p0rn ]

FIX'D?
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 13:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why must you spend your time trying to figuratively rub GB's nose into some perceived slight?
    Did you enjoy Bobby's opening post patronizing RHP's lovely ladies? There's a pedestal there for you, Suzi,
    though unfortunately the alphabet places you near the end of the list. You can be sure that there isn't a man
    here, as Bobby wisely points out, who wouldn't trade the odor of locker rooms for the scent of perfume.
  9. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 13:52
    Originally posted by Tabitha Marshall
    So good to know that there is at least one of you who thinks of us so fondly. Thanks for my part. There are so many girls now compared to when I first came here in 2005. I am trying to think of some that I have met along the way and invite them to join Popeye, we need more Olives in the sauce. πŸ˜‰
    I think you are the bees knees Tabitha and have enjoyed the many beatings from you in my many guises.
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 14:28
    Originally posted by redbadger
    I think you are the bees knees Tabitha and have enjoyed the many beatings from you in my many guises.
    OK, look. We don't need to know about your penchant for dressing up and being beaten. What goes on in the privacy of your home should, in all decency, stay there and not out in the public domain.
  11. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 16:16
    Originally posted by Ladynight
    Were you ever mistaken for one?
    Both vaginally and anally.
  12. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 17:33
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    [b You can be sure that there isn't a man
    here, as Bobby wisely points out, who wouldn't trade the odor of locker rooms for the scent of perfume.[/b]
    After thinking about what Bobby said about the perfume and locker room thing. I doubt there are many women who would prefer the smell of a locker rooms over perfume either. What the heck?

Still I have to agree with him. We have some very fun ladies here on this site. I love them all dearly. They deserve to be honored but never patronized. I admire their stimulating conversations as well as a pleasant social flirt and chess game as well. I openly cheer for them...even the feminists.

I wish some weren't so uptight though. I guess I just don't see the problems as a real problem as MissR perception of it. I've never been in her shoes though. It's always a good idea to turn the fish bowl around and see things from a different angle I suppose. So I have to respect those who object.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 18:43
    If you are so concerned about men hitting on you via the internet, why did you choose a username with a gender indicator in it?
    Don't ever change, you simpleton.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 18:45

Secondly this user is not a subscriber and ...[text shortened]... minist and let your hairy Albanian bare-knuckle fighter self come through a little more darling.
    "She had it coming".
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Oct '14 19:00
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    After thinking about what Bobby said about the perfume and locker room thing. I doubt there are many women who would prefer the smell of a locker rooms over perfume either. What the heck?

Still I have to agree with him. We have some very fun ladies here on this site. I love them all dearly. They deserve to be honored but never patronized. I admire t ...[text shortened]... l around and see things from a different angle I suppose. So I have to respect those who object.
    Thanks, cash. I too "have an ongoing appreciation for each of the ladies past and present who grace this site with their presence". With a few well chosen honest words, you've captured the very essence of this thread. Nice to see you back.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree