Originally posted by vandervelde
    - Jehovas witness
    - salesman
    - mormon
    - ISIL member
    - Trump supporter /tattooed trumpist/
    - homeless stinking vagabond
    - Yugoslav
    *Yugoslav is still an option? Shouldn't it be Serb, Croat, Bosniak, Kosovar, Slowenian, Monetnegrinian?
  3. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 14:21
    - Jehovas witness
    - salesman
    - mormon
    - ISIL member
    - Yugoslav
    Mormon so I wouldn't have to lock the drinks cabinet.
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 14:24
    - Jehovas witness
    - salesman
    - mormon
    - ISIL member
    - Yugoslav
    I once worked with a man who told me a lot about homeless people. So much that I wondered whether he had had the misfortune of being homeless himself. He said that it was hard for homeless people to shed the smell of homelessness.

I chatted to a homeless man after parting company with friends who I'd gone to a steak bar with last Friday. He was emaciated and probably looked older than his years. He was stood in the light rain with the hood of his thin anorak on his head. He had a golden Labrador wrapped in his coat laying at his feet. As I asked him the name of his dog the dog, still laying on the floor, began to wag its tail. He told me he was homeless because his landlord would not let him keep his dog though I guessed there must have been lots of other reasons. I gave him some money then walked away feeling somewhat dreadful.......that I should have been born into a far more privileged position than he had ever been.

Life is very unfair. Don't look down on the homeless Vandervelde. They do not chose their situation and every one of them have a story to tell.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 14:302 edits
    A person who would keep my daughter truly happy - it's all that matters.

Edit: I changed from 'Any man...' to 'A person...'
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 15:241 edit
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    *Yugoslav is still an option? Shouldn't it be Serb, Croat, Bosniak, Kosovar, Slowenian, Monetnegrinian?
    All the same, all those ethnic groups are crazy, you couldn't tell one from another.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 16:02
    Originally posted by drewnogal
    I once worked with a man who told me a lot about homeless people. So much that I wondered whether he had had the misfortune of being homeless himself. He said that it was hard for homeless people to shed the smell of homelessness.

I chatted to a homeless man after parting company with friends who I'd gone to a steak bar with last Friday. He was emaciat ...[text shortened]... s Vandervelde. They do not chose their situation and every one of them have a story to tell.
    I am blessed with the fact that I don't live in USA: would probably have been arrested and executed due violation of PC-Law many times. I may consider myself lucky being in Europe behind Iron Curtain, do I can expect only to be stabbed in he street or die of hunger like a bum sleeping near a trash can.
  8. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 20:14
    - Jehovas witness
    - salesman
    - mormon
    - ISIL member
    - Yugoslav
    Maybe we could survey them and see if they would want you as a father-in-law? 🙂
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 20:33
    Originally posted by drewnogal

I chatted to a homeless man after parting company with friends who I'd gone to a steak bar with last Friday. He was emaciat ...[text shortened]... s Vandervelde. They do not chose their situation and every one of them have a story to tell.
    There's no reason to be homeless, as in living on the street in the UK or Ireland other than if you're addicted to drugs or alcohol. There's plenty of support for people who need and want it who've had some bad luck in life.

There's three types of street beggar and none of them deserve your money. Give them food if you wish to 'help', money doesn't help.
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    25 Jun '17 23:28
    if you put yourself on the list I still wouldn't take you
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 00:052 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    There's no reason to be homeless, as in living on the street in the UK or Ireland other than if you're addicted to drugs or alcohol. There's plenty of support for people who need and want it who've had some bad luck in life.

There's three types of street beggar and none of them deserve your money. Give them food if you wish to 'help', money doesn't help.
    Unfortunately, the support system in the US sucks so badly (a big reason is this problem we seem to have creating a universal healthcare system that gives everyone at least a basic standard of care, and that's not even mentioning the pathetically understaffed and undermanaged care for mental illness) that homelessness IS a real problem here, especially in the larger cities. Some in this country are working very hard to make the US into a third-world country. Many of them already far surpass the US in their ability to deal with the problem.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 02:301 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Unfortunately, the support system in the US sucks so badly (a big reason is this problem we seem to have creating a universal healthcare system that gives everyone at least a basic standard of care, and that's not even mentioning the pathetically understaffed and undermanaged care for mental illness) that homelessness IS a real problem here, especially in t ...[text shortened]... rld country. Many of them already far surpass the US in their ability to deal with the problem.
    Don't think it's just the US. Australia has a huge welfare safety net and free universal healthcare, but we still have a large homeless population, many but not all with mental health issues or substance abuse problems. While home construction is entirely in the hands of private developers and social housing isn't a government priority that isn't going to change. Governments have no idea how to deal with it and charities spend all their resources just keeping the homeless fed.
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 06:46
    Originally posted by Torunn
    A person who would keep my daughter truly happy - it's all that matters.

Edit: I changed from 'Any man...' to 'A person...'
    Actually that is the Spirit. It is for us to choose our spouse and for our children (if any) to choose theirs.
    If I am happy is not the question, I won't be married to that Person 😉

I still hope for a Person I could like though for each of my sons.
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 07:45
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Actually that is the Spirit. It is for us to choose our spouse and for our children (if any) to choose theirs.
    If I am happy is not the question, I won't be married to that Person 😉

I still hope for a Person I could like though for each of my sons.
    Well said, Ponderable. The difficult thing for us parents (or grandparents maybe) is knowing when to interfere when things are not good and our children seem unhappy.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jun '17 08:541 edit
    Originally posted by Trev33

Seems the government does not agree with you.
    October last year:
    A new £40 million programme to provide an innovative approach to
    tackling homelessness, with prevention at its heart, has been announced
    by Prime Minister Theresa May and Communities Secretary Sajid Javid.

Theresa May: “We know there is no single cause of homelessness
    but I am determined to do more to prevent it happening by supporting
    those facing challenging issues like domestic abuse, addiction, mental
    health issues or redundancy, whilst also being prepared to offer a
    safety net to catch those who might simply be struggling to get by.”

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree