1. Tionesta
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 00:03
    Gathering information can make you smart. Using that information makes you intelligent.I think toe word : "pedantic" comes to mind in relation to smart and comprehensive utilization for intelligent.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 07:47
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    The intelligent-est people don't bother themselves playing chess.
    The intelligent people who do play chess realize it has nothing to do with intelligence.
    The people who are good at chess and think this makes them intelligent are actually the dumbest of the lot.

Information obtained from the chess university of life.
    Excellent. 😀
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 11:52
    Question: What exactly is intellignece?
    Answer: Intelligence is what the intelligence test is measuring.

What does an intelligence test doesn't measure: endurance for example. My weakness is that I am not doing enough analysis. I already hear people shouting: than DO!
    So my thesis on this would be: Chess ability is a combination of the ability to think logically, to concentrate on the game at hand and to be patient enough with oneself to go through the analysis until one is sure to have the best move.
    Oh and being able to learn from the Grandmasters surely helps...
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 12:00
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Question: What exactly is intellignece?
    Answer: Intelligence is what the intelligence test is measuring.
    Eh?
    Intelligence is there [or not] regardless of any tests.

The amount of it, is what is measured in tests.
  5. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 18:25
    Eh?
    Intelligence is there [or not] regardless of any tests.

The amount of it, is what is measured in tests.
    Intelligence is hard to define though, and the tests measure IQ, which is not anything in particular but what the tests measure, and is not nearly as meaningful as people make it out to be, in terms of chess performance or life acomplishments.
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 19:14
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Intelligence is hard to define though, and the tests measure IQ, which is not anything in particular but what the tests measure, and is not nearly as meaningful as people make it out to be, in terms of chess performance or life acomplishments.
    I think we've pretty much established that IQ has no direct bearing on chess ability.
    But, if I had to chose between two people [say for employment] who were identical in every other way I would pick the one with the higher IQ. I think most companies would too.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 19:17
    I think we've pretty much established that IQ has no direct bearing on chess ability.
    But, if I had to chose between two people [say for employment] who were identical in every other way I would pick the one with the higher IQ. I think most companies would too.
    There's no such things as two identical people, which means that IQ is irrelevant unless you assign it a non-marginal value.
  8. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 19:34
    What if you defined chess as one limited index of intelligence? Given its intellectual components, you could make a good case for doing so. Then it would be partly constitutive of IQ. Hence, it correlate with a broader measure of IQ.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 19:36
    Originally posted by Palynka
    There's no such things as two identical people...
    ok - equal in all other respects. 🙁
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    28 Mar '07 20:03
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    What if you defined chess as one limited index of intelligence? Given its intellectual components, you could make a good case for doing so. Then it would be partly constitutive of IQ. Hence, it correlate with a broader measure of IQ.
    what if you defined red rubber bats as one limited index of intelligence....

"johnny has 3 red rubber bats compared to billy bob's 2 red rubber bats, so all other things being equal, I think we're going to give the position of Executive Chess Dictator to johnny."
  11. Missouri, USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 02:15
    Originally posted by wormwood
    what if you defined red rubber bats as one limited index of intelligence....

"johnny has 3 red rubber bats compared to billy bob's 2 red rubber bats, so all other things being equal, I think we're going to give the position of Executive Chess Dictator to johnny."
    How would say, the idiot savant, fit into your equation?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree