Why is this forum dying?

Why is this forum dying?

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Jul 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you go first 😉
Be kind.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
30 Jul 13
1 edit

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
This forum is dying because more and more people
are posting in private clubs.
This is one of the reasons, but not the only one.
* more private forums available since clubs were created and thrown open to nonsubs, but very few of them have active forums devoted to anything other than chess. Those few have diverted the few reliable posters from the public forums.
* more alternative forum sites, facebook being the best-promoted of these.
* well-meaning people adding multiple word game threads (one or two is fine, 6 is another matter), or posts consisting solely of me-too comments, smileys, or unoriginal quotes or links. The effect of this is that any real discussion or debate, even of a frivolous and entertainment-only nature, is totally swamped by the forum equivalent of junk mail.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
30 Jul 13

Happy Birthday to me 🙂

Moves
30 Jul 13

Originally posted by ketchuplover
Happy Birthday to me 🙂
"Life" continued for yet another year. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
30 Jul 13

Originally posted by Kewpie

This is one of the reasons, but not the only one.
* more private forums available since clubs were created and thrown open to nonsubs, but very few of them have active forums devoted to anything other than chess. Those few have diverted the few reliable posters from the public forums.
* more alternative forum sites, facebook being the best-promoted of th ...[text shortened]... rivolous and entertainment-only nature, is totally swamped by the forum equivalent of junk mail.
"General discussion. If it's off-topic, or you're not sure where to put it, put it here." (General Forum Welcome)

All other site forums have specified missions to meet specialized member interests and needs. This forum, alone, wisely offers an inclusive format which should provide a home for virtually all other topics. Casual chat and repartee among friends requires a friendly environment. People seek comfort and warmth. Anything less creates obstacles. Tone matters.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
05 Aug 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]General Forum Post Mix Comparison: June 29 to July 29, 2013 (Page One)

No Percentage Comparisons. Hard Numbers only: June 29 to Monday July 29, 2013:

"WAG": 23,285 Posts in Four Threads on RHP's General Forum:
(A-Z Word Association Game; Word Association Game 2; Last letter of previous word - A to Z - Word as...; Word assoc. Z-A): .4) per day is significantly too few. ~Bobby with "clean glasses": ~o-o~ lol[/b]
Hi again.

There are several ways to measure activity. The one you used is the number of post per day. Though I am not sure if your base is correct.

Another is the number of dead threads per month (actual dead ones ahich can't be resurrected). Another would be to Count the days per page. So for the last few weeks the cut-off (meaning 60 days old threads was always about page 8 or 9). But in beginning July there wasn't a read bubble on page one menaing a span of less than four days of posting in 30 threads. Now we are beyond a week there. But summers tend to be slow.

present Standings:

page 1 9d
page 2 14d
page 3 8d
page 4 4d
page 5 7d
page 6 8d
page 7 9d
page 8: 11 d (if no new thread is created today the last living thread will be on page 7)

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Aug 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Ponderable
Hi again.

There are several ways to measure activity. The one you used is the number of post per day. Though I am not sure if your base is correct.

Another is the number of dead threads per month (actual dead ones ahich can't be resurrected). Another would be to Count the days per page. So for the last few weeks the cut-off (meaning 60 days old th 9d
page 8: 11 d (if no new thread is created today the last living thread will be on page 7)
"But summers tend to be slow."

... let's hope the global net impact of the imminent change in seasons results in an improvement.

Moves
05 Aug 13

... let's hope the global net impact of the imminent change in seasons results in an improvement.
I changed from oregeno to basil in my spaghetti sauce...is that like what you mean?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Aug 13

Imminent? In the Arizona deserts, it's hot all the way up into October.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Aug 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Imminent? In the Arizona deserts, it's hot all the way up into October.
An isolated exception, Suzianne; my social error.

Latvian Trickster

Krell lab

Moves
11 Aug 13

Why is this forum dying?
Why do you think it is dying? What does a dying forum look like?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Aug 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Velns

Hi, Velns. Glad you asked. June 29 to July 29, 2013, this General Forum received an average of only 30.4 posts each day
(or 1 for each of the 30 threads on page one).
Please see "General Forum Post Mix Comparison: June 29-July 29, 2013
(Page One)" on the previous page. "Dying Forums" look lifeless in comparison to much higher activity levels in prior years.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
22 Aug 13

Originally posted by Velns
The bubbles marking activity are not green (new threads) nor yellow (recently active ones) but red (four days without post)

Read a book!

Moves
22 Aug 13

Why is this forum dying?
This forum will never be truly dead as long as you're around, Bobby.

Sick maybe, but not dead.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
22 Aug 13

Originally posted by HandyAndy
This forum will never be truly dead as long as you're around, Bobby.

Sick maybe, but not dead.
GB is now more active in his Club only three threads on the first page list GB as last poster...