1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 13:131 edit
    @torunn said
    When you choose to have children, you also choose how to raise them. You choose to let life continue in a new generation. Children mean sacrifices, animals sacrifice whatever it takes to help their offspring survive.
    The bonus of having children is the grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. πŸ™‚
    Agreed torunn, also I believe children help keep a person from growing old as quickly as they would without them. Just a smile from one of them can brighten up an other wise gloomy day.

So much fun spoiling the Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren too. πŸ™‚

-VR
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 13:351 edit
    @very-rusty said
    Agreed torunn, also I believe children help keep a person from growing old as quickly as they would without them. Just a smile from one of them can brighten up an other wise gloomy day.

So much fun spoiling the Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren too. πŸ™‚

-VR
    I am so close to my son I reckon if he wasn't flesh and blood I would Adopt him,Neither of my kids were planed as in we were not trying they both just happened (missed pill,dodgy coil) 2 great kids,cant say they held us back or made us worry (apart from illness and accidents) we got the pair of them through their driving tests at 17 saw them through uni,both got good jobs and not once have we had to bail them out(we might have got some of the parenting right)thats for them to know.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 13:39
    @divegeester said
    I don’t have children
    nice topic, i approve

at 17 years of aged wisdom i decided to never spawn
    i had reasons but i'll not share here
    then at 23 i learned a thing that biology wanted to teach me
    some lessons are blunt force

i was not a great pa, but i did the job
    but
    if i had it to do over again, i would do one thing a bit different
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Apr '24 13:48
    @rookie54 said
    nice topic, i approve

at 17 years of aged wisdom i decided to never spawn
    i had reasons but i'll not share here
    then at 23 i learned a thing that biology wanted to teach me
    some lessons are blunt force

i was not a great pa, but i did the job
    but
    if i had it to do over again, i would do one thing a bit different
    What is the one thing you would do a bit differently?

-VR
  5. Joined
    02 Apr '24
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 04:40

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 07:29
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Where is 2thirds?
  7. Joined
    02 Apr '24
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 07:335 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 11:08
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Welcome back.
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 17:48
    @torunn said
    When you choose to have children, you also choose how to raise them. You choose to let life continue in a new generation. Children mean sacrifices, animals sacrifice whatever it takes to help their offspring survive.
    The bonus of having children is the grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. πŸ™‚
    Parents don't raise their kids; it is the parents who grow up by this process. Their kids grow up later.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 17:49
    @divegeester said
    I don’t have children, chose not to, can’t stand them tbh. I might have felt differently about my own, but looking at other people’s I am just relieved to not have them.

I look around at my wider family and everyone with kids is stressed out of their box, frantic with worry and financially strapped. Even in their thirties with their own kids they are still leaching of ...[text shortened]... s.

I’ve heard it said more than once “if I had my time over I wouldn’t have kids”.

Thoughts?
    If I had known then what I know now, I would certainly have done some things differently. But I would still have had kids (2, adopted).
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 18:00
    @moonbus [i]said[/
    If I had known then what I know now, I would certainly have done some things differently. But I would still have had kids (2, adopted).
    I would do many things differently but I was too young to know about parenthood. I would have applied rules and authority - Sweden during 60's and 70's was against all kinds of authority, both at home and at school, and we have never quite recovered from that. πŸ™‚
  12. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 19:19
    My thoughts?
    What a pusillanimous and cynically selfish post.
    Children teach you that you are not the most important thing in your life. They teach altruism and selflessness, because they are the future and they deserve your selfless devotion and commitment. As a teacher and parent I have discovered how much joy children give.
    My thoughts? How sad I am for you on your pusillanimous and cynically selfish path…..
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Apr '24 19:52
    @divegeester said
    I don’t have children, chose not to, can’t stand them tbh. I might have felt differently about my own, but looking at other people’s I am just relieved to not have them.

I look around at my wider family and everyone with kids is stressed out of their box, frantic with worry and financially strapped. Even in their thirties with their own kids they are still leaching of ...[text shortened]... s.

Thoughts?
    It's hard to really have a basis for comparison of course, but I can't even fathom the hole in my life without my children, especially my oldest daughter and oldest son. I would be a completely different human being with different outlooks and different experiences and different dreams, aspirations and feelings.

There very well might be an sh76 alive and doing well if I had no children, but it wouldn't be me.
  14. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 03:47
    @divegeester said

Thoughts?
    I don't recall ever hearing anyone say this!

What is your life about, if it's not the people in it?

Children are people you get the privilege of watching become. You see their personality develop right in front of you.

Before I had children, I saw them only as an unwanted tie. My life was going to be about adventure, as much wealth as I could amass and pleasure. What small aspirations I had. I'm embarrassed for myself, looking back at what I thought was important back then.

Yes, I'd absolutely have my children again.

And, if I could go back, I'd cherish watching them more. I'd be so much more attentive.

I think the joy of parenting is our generations best kept secret. I wonder if what you are hearing is said to protect you.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 07:06
    @the-gravedigger said
    Where is 2thirds?
    Been sucked into the void once again it appears.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree