Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. 03 Oct '07 14:02
    Hi

    I posted a while back about being on vacation yet still losing 22 games that timed out.
    I also sent feedback and got no response at all from the site admin.

    Could someone please tell me for sure if I lost all those games because the tournament I was in had no time bank? I had definitely booked the vacation right as an opponent confirmed he saw the flag yet I still lost 22 games.
    I am going away again in three weeks and fear that I will lose a lot more games despite booking vacation, someone please help if you can, are no time out games exempt from the vacation flag?

    Thanks.

    Pigface
  2. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No. 16
    03 Oct '07 14:16
    At one time the tournament games would automatically time out, regardless of whether you were on vacation or not.

    There was a warning stating that policy on the sign-up page for the tournament. It warned that vacation settings would not be honored, or words to that effect.

    I don't know if that is still the policy, but if it is that would possibly explain what happened in your case with the tournament games.
  3. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    03 Oct '07 14:28
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    At one time the tournament games would automatically time out, regardless of whether you were on vacation or not.

    There was a warning stating that policy on the sign-up page for the tournament. It warned that vacation settings would not be honored, or words to that effect.

    I don't know if that is still the policy, but if it is that would possibly explain what happened in your case with the tournament games.
    From a tournament page:

    Tournament Entry

    Remember, all tournament games are rated and you will not be able to delete any tournament games.

    Playing in tournaments will significantly increase your number of active games.

    Tournament games time out automatically 2 days after the timeout period expires.
    Games can not be reinstated.
  4. 03 Oct '07 15:06
    Ok thank you, that answers my question, kind of makes the vacation flag totally pointless then
  5. 03 Oct '07 15:19 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Pigface1
    Ok thank you, that answers my question, kind of makes the vacation flag totally pointless then
    Did you vote for the vacation system as it is now?

    It may still be possible to vote against it (or change your vote) - an action I would thoroughly recommend.


    http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/vote/index.php
  6. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    03 Oct '07 15:28
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Did you vote for the vacation system as it is now?

    It may still be possible to vote against it (or change your vote) - an action I would thoroughly recommend.


    http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/vote/index.php
    Should I change my vote?

    P-
  7. 03 Oct '07 15:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Did you vote for the vacation system as it is now?

    It may still be possible to vote against it (or change your vote) - an action I would thoroughly recommend.


    http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/vote/index.php
    I was not aware of that vote at all (new member .. ish ..) I cant believe how daft that is, you book vacation time therefore wil not be present but it doesnt protect you from time out?? Thats crazy! Anyway, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I voted yes.


    If any admin read this, I love this site, but what were you thinking, seriously! If somebody goes away and uses some vacation days then it SHOULD protect people otherwise it is a total waste of time.... I simply dont understand the logic of such a system.... maybe theres something I`m missing.
  8. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    03 Oct '07 15:49
    Originally posted by Pigface1
    I was not aware of that vote at all (new member .. ish ..) I cant believe how daft that is, you book vacation time therefore wil not be present but it doesnt protect you from time out?? Thats crazy! Anyway, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I voted yes.


    If any admin read this, I love this site, but what were you thinking, seriously! If somebody g ...[text shortened]... .... I simply dont understand the logic of such a system.... maybe theres something I`m missing.
    I believe all regular games are protected by vacation, but Tournaments are not. Tournaments already take years in some cases to finish.

    I voted NO. Timebank and time controls should give anyone enough time in a given year to take some time off if they need it.

    P-
  9. 03 Oct '07 15:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Should I change my vote?

    P-
    No no I think not, in your case.




    As for Mr Pigface: if the system didn't work for you how it is now, then why would you go and vote in favour of it??????????
    Don't be fooled by the "double-talk" in the vote question.

    You could vote against it and then a better [fairer] system would possibly be introduced.
  10. 03 Oct '07 16:06 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    I believe all regular games are protected by vacation, but Tournaments are not. Tournaments already take years in some cases to finish.

    I voted NO. Timebank and time controls should give anyone enough time in a given year to take some time off if they need it.

    P-
    No not at all, I was playing in a NO time bank game and a one day per move, that is the tournament I lost 22 games in! So no it is not acceptable as it stands right now IMO.

    @ Dr Strangelove:

    Would you be happy if players were immune from timeout while on vacation for a limited period (e.g 4 weeks per year)

    I voted yes, because I want immunity from being timed out, that sounds right to me... and is not the current system, not sure I understand you, I was not immune from being timed out and I want to be, sorry if I am being dense and missing something.
  11. 03 Oct '07 17:02
    Wait a second, since when does vacation not apply to tournament games? I am quite sure that is not correct. (Otherwise, why were people complaining about heng so much?)

    Shouldn't the moderators know these things?

    Anyway, you must have been timed out for some other reason. I'm guessing maybe there was a time zone issue with when you started the vacation (I think the vacation days start and end at midnight GMT).

    When you are on vacation the skull icon just does not appear. (Nor does the tournament auto-timeout function.) It doesn't matter whether there's a timebank or not, although the timebank still runs down and you do have to make all your moves (in timed-out games) before the vacation ends.

    When exactly did your vacation start and end? I notice that all your timeouts started on 00:00 GMT September 18th. I wonder if you ended your vacation one day too early.
  12. 03 Oct '07 17:13
    Originally posted by incandenza
    Wait a second, since when does vacation not apply to tournament games? I am quite sure that is not correct. (Otherwise, why were people complaining about heng so much?)

    Shouldn't the moderators know these things?

    Anyway, you must have been timed out for some other reason. I'm guessing maybe there was a time zone issue with when you started the va ...[text shortened]... started on 00:00 GMT September 18th. I wonder if you ended your vacation one day too early.
    I am in GMT and my holidays were 15th to the 17th, I was back on the 17th and saw they had all lost a day after my vacation started, I explained this on a feedback form but have had no response.
  13. 03 Oct '07 17:19
    Hmm, well according to the timestamps on the games, they were all timed out on the 18th, not the 17th. I think you simply ended your vacation a day early.
  14. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    03 Oct '07 17:20
    Originally posted by incandenza
    Wait a second, since when does vacation not apply to tournament games? I am quite sure that is not correct. (Otherwise, why were people complaining about heng so much?)

    Shouldn't the moderators know these things?

    Anyway, you must have been timed out for some other reason. I'm guessing maybe there was a time zone issue with when you started the va ...[text shortened]... started on 00:00 GMT September 18th. I wonder if you ended your vacation one day too early.
    No, moderators are not required to know everything. Only the admins really know, and if they don't... they just don't answer.

    I don't play many tourneys, I have not used vacation yet. I was speculating. The alternative here is this user didn't set the vacation time right.

    P-
  15. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    03 Oct '07 17:24
    Originally posted by incandenza
    Hmm, well according to the timestamps on the games, they were all timed out on the 18th, not the 17th. I think you simply ended your vacation a day early.
    All vacations should be made for an extra day or so... and all moves should be made while still on vacation.

    P-