1. Montréal, Québec
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 15:53
    I woke up this morning to see that my flag has been changed. The Quebec flag has been removed from the setting selection also. Why ?

I am a very perplexed client...
  2. Donationbelgianfreak
    stitching you up
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 15:59
    Originally posted by climb2high
    I woke up this morning to see that my flag has been changed. The Quebec flag has been removed from the setting selection also. Why ?

I am a very perplexed client...
    that's one for the site admins. Hit 'send feedback' at the bottom middle of the page and fill in the form 🙂
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 18:35
    I concur that we shouldn't have a flag for every little corner of the earth.

Every country having a representative in the UN or FIDE is welcomed to have a flag. But every little district...? No, I don't think so.

This is my opinion.
  4. Montréal, Québec
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 19:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

Every country having a representative in the UN or FIDE is welcomed to have a flag. But every little district...? No, I don't think so.

This is my opinion.
    well in that case, remove the flags of scotland, wales, irleland, england and put only UK.

btw, our little corner is as big a population as sweden 🙂
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 19:45
    well in that case, remove the flags of scotland, wales, irleland, england and put only UK.

You're lucky that Quebec is represented in both FIDE and the UN, otherwise you'd look like a mook with an idiotic opinion!
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 20:11

True, but Sweden is a member of both UN and FIDE. The size hasn't anything to do with this. Smaller countries than yours and mine are members of UN and FIDE.

If we allow any flags from any districts we will have hundreds more flags, perhaps thousands. Why not have a flag for every member of RHP? No. We have to set a limit somewhere. Why not if the 'country' is a member of UN or FIDE. That solves the question without any political argue.
  7. Montréal, Québec
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 20:53
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    You're lucky that Quebec is represented in both FIDE and the UN, otherwise you'd look like a mook with an idiotic opinion!
    my point is that we had a flag, and this morning i realized it was taken away.

for the rest... i don't really understand english... but i french very well... 🙂
  8. Montréal, Québec
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 20:57
    True, but Sweden is a member of both UN and FIDE. The size hasn't anything to do with this. Smaller countries than yours and mine are members of UN and FIDE.

If we allow any flags from any districts we will have hundreds more flags, perhaps thousands. Why not have a flag for every member of RHP? No. We have to set a limit somewhere. Why not if the 'country' is a member of UN or FIDE. That solves the question without any political argue.
    let's not start a discussion that could be very long on the subject. It's been lasting over 300 years in Québec...

I simply wanted to mention that Québec is as much of a nation as Scotland, Wales and England.

merci beaucoup.
  9. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 21:461 edit

Scotland, England & Wales are members of FIDE. Separately.
    Ireland is a member of the UN and FIDE. Ireland is not part of the UK.
  10. Standard memberjoneschr
    Some guy
    Moves
    05 Mar '07 23:581 edit
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Scotland, England & Wales are members of FIDE. Separately.
    Ireland is a member of the UN and FIDE. Ireland is not part of the UK.
    Sort of depends on what part of ireland you're talking about, doesn't it? The Republic of Ireland clearly isn't, but Northern Ireland is.

How does FIDE recognize the split?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 08:29
    This is a question that obviously stirs up a lot of thoughts. "I want a flag that represents my corner of the world!" is an understandable question. But how long should we go? Is it enough to want one to get on? Do we want thousands and thousands of flags representing people? I don’t think so.

In problems like this there is a general rule of how to solve this kind of problem: Define the criteria first, and see what flags that fall inside the definitions and what flags that don’t.

My proposal is that a country (province, area, etc) should be able to be represented by a flag if
    (1) it is a member of UN (http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49alpha.htm) and/or
    (2) it is a member of FIDE (http://www.fide.com/ratings/topfed.phtml).

To adopt these lists, no quarrels or jalousies will appear, whether or not a certain country should have its flag or not represented in RHP.
  12. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 11:09
    Originally posted by joneschr
    Sort of depends on what part of ireland you're talking about, doesn't it? The Republic of Ireland clearly isn't, but Northern Ireland is.

How does FIDE recognize the split?
    There's one Ireland in FIDE - the whole island.
    Obviously Northern Ireland is part of the UK politically, but in chess terms, they're part of Ireland.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 11:12

This is my opinion.
    Yeah, before you know it Bornholm will want their own flag on the site, too. Or Friesland. We can't be having with that.

Richard
  14. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 11:39
    This is a question that obviously stirs up a lot of thoughts. "I want a flag that represents my corner of the world!" is an understandable question. But how long should we go? Is it enough to want one to get on? Do we want thousands and thousands of flags representing people? I don’t think so.

In problems like this there is a general rule of how to sol ...[text shortened]... will appear, whether or not a certain country should have its flag or not represented in RHP.
    I think this would be a reasonable position for the site to take. Maybe also membership of ICCF (International Correspondence Chess Federation). I think there are some places in ICCF but not FIDE or the UN.
  15. Montréal, Québec
    Moves
    06 Mar '07 13:26

In problems like this there is a general rule of how to sol ...[text shortened]... will appear, whether or not a certain country should have its flag or not represented in RHP.
    if this is the case, i will have to give a ring to some politicians and get a referendum going... 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree