1. In your face
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 16:49
    Originally posted by 1973mackem
    ratings are not all important, enjoying a good game is better. if you think your rating is false due to someone cheating, imgine what it must be like for those that use these engines, what pleasure must they get? What would be the point?
    I agree. Ratings are only there to give some idea of a players ability when choosing who you wish to play, and which tournaments you play in.
    Ratings can be massaged anyway by choosing when to resign games. If you do it when their rating is higher than normal then you can avoid losing a certain amount of points.
    There are also lots of players out there who resign all of their games to get into lower ranking tournaments. I think that this is more of an issue, and has more of an impact on rating accuracy than the current procedure with regard to engine usage.
  2. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 23:07
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I have lost a number of games after making moves while drunk. I have also lost games due to making bad moves due to being hung-over/tired/stoned/distracted.

These are all false results, and my rating isn't exactly right. I'm certain that my exactly correct rating is 1893.5.

Please fix this.

Thanks,

D
    Playing whilst drunk isn't cheating.

May be stupid, but it's not cheating.
  3. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 23:162 edits
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    If you don't care why did you start this thread? And why are you continuing to argue when it is clear that there is no reason to recalculate every single rating because of a cheating player.
    I don't really "care" about my rating, but I do "care" about cheating gits with engines playing me.

And in any case it is CLEAR to me that there is reason to correct the system.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 01:00
    Originally posted by cashthetrash
    I think you play a lot of drunks with hangovers who make mistakes as a result, therefore your rating should be 1200. (Just kidding) The thing is though you are right, there are many things that can be considered false. Resignations could actually be considered false if someone resigns a game that there would be no way for you to have won otherwise or a ...[text shortened]... uldn't make sense. There are certain times when fixing a problem can actually create a problem.
    I still don't see how your rating can be 100 points lower because you played an engine.

The engine is rated near 2000, so you would have lost to it anyway.

If you happen to beat the engine, and gain say 30 points... chances are your going to play someone who will knock you back down another 10.

Playing cheats has not changed anyone's ratings really. It's just games you've played, and it happens to be a chess engine.

*Ready to keep driving this point.

P-
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 01:00
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    I don't really "care" about my rating, but I do "care" about cheating gits with engines playing me.

And in any case it is CLEAR to me that there is reason to correct the system.
    No, again... there is no need to change your rating over this.

P-
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 01:331 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    No, again... there is no need to change your rating over this.

P-
    So there is no real need to ban people for using engines - it makes no difference to the ratings and as long as they don't enter tournaments [with their artificial aids] they may as well be allowed?

In fact, why not let 'em into tournaments too?
  7. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 05:27
    So there is no real need to ban people for using engines - it makes no difference to the ratings and as long as they don't enter tournaments [with their artificial aids] they may as well be allowed?

You're missing the point.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 10:33

Can you detail a scenario whereby you're rating isn't right because you lost to a couple of engines.

Say, 1 scenario where an engine (rated 1500) beats you (also rated 1500) on the way up, and the following 6 games (win against 1400, win against 1300, win against 1450, loss against 1550, draw against 1500, win against 1200) against real players, compared to just having played the 6 real games. The formula is in the FAQ.

And 1 scenario where an engine (2100) beats you, and the following 6 games, as detailed above, against just the 6 real games.

As far as I'm concerned, the only time your rating would be skewed is if you are awarded points for "beating" a banned 2100 player. Other than that, the rating spread would be real.

If you chose to proceed with this thread, doing this is absolutely vital.

D
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 13:22
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You're missing the point.
    What is the point of banning engines if all their results stand.

[which includes their ridiculous tournament victories]
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 13:28
    What is the point of banning engines if all their results stand.

[which includes their ridiculous tournament victories]
    http://www.timeforchess.com/tournament/overview.php?

D
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 13:32
    Can you detail a scenario whereby you're rating isn't right because you lost to a couple of engines.

Say, 1 scenario where an engine (rated 1500) beats you (also rated 1500) on the way up, and the following 6 games (win against 1400, win against 1300, win against 1450, loss against 1550, draw against 1500, win against 1200) against real players, compared ...[text shortened]... be real.

If you chose to proceed with this thread, doing this is absolutely vital.

D
    It's the principal.

[Any engines I've played had, at the time of the game, a similar rating to mine.]
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 13:36
    http://www.timeforchess.com/tournament/overview.php?

D
    Has the practice of leaving the cheaters tournament victories intact been changed?
    If so - good.
  13. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 13:47

What does that have to do with your rating? I said your rating is right, I didn't say cheats should stay on the site.

P-
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    20 Nov '06 13:49
    Has the practice of leaving the cheaters tournament victories intact been changed?
    If so - good.
    Here I agree. Too bad also, because it wouldn't be fair to grant a win to the second place guy, because the true winner may have been beat by the engine in an earlier round.

The tournament is destroyed by cheats.

P-
  15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 16:10
    What about the reccs given by banned players? shouldn't those be removed as well?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree