Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Help Forum

Help Forum

  1. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    12 May '08 07:41
    I set my vacation setting for 10th & 11th of May.

    My opponent moves at 21:29 on the 9th.
    Surely I have (24 hour timeout) until 21:29 on the 12th to reply????

    However when I logged on at 08:30 on the 12th my opponent had already claimed a timeout win!!

    I'm puzzled (and a little annoyed) .....

    Any explanations?
  2. Subscriber RDM
    12 May '08 09:35
    I think the timeout continues to run whilst you are on vacation.

    The game timed out on the 10th but the opponent couldn't take the timeout win because you were on vacation.

    I think the game became eligible for a timeout win at midnight on the morning of the 12th.
  3. Subscriber RDM
    12 May '08 09:36
    Oh, and be carefull ...

    In the true spirit of Chess, some people will hover around waiting, hoping, yearning for the skull to appear.

    [/sarcasm]
  4. 12 May '08 09:55
    Originally posted by RDM
    I think the timeout continues to run whilst you are on vacation.
    Yes, timeout time and timebank are used up as usual when you have the vacation flag up. The only difference is that once you have run out of time, your opponent can't claim the win while the flag is up. So when you set up the vacation flag, include the day on which you are able to move again and make the move while the flag is still up. If you are uncertain how much time you need, you can book a bit more vacation than you are likely to need and cancel the rest once you have made your moves (you can only cancel full days, so the flag will stay for the rest of the day). If you are short on vacation days (does that ever happen?), you could see how much time you have left in your games and let the vacation flag be set up on the day the time would run out in the first game, rather than the first day you are away.
  5. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    12 May '08 11:30
    Originally posted by RDM
    Oh, and be carefull ...

    In the true spirit of Chess, some people will hover around waiting, hoping, yearning for the skull to appear.

    [/sarcasm]
    I believe in playing to the time control so I have no problem with opponents taking skulls.

    However he was pretty quick this time - particularly as it was obvious I was on vacation.

    Oh well once bitten twice shy, I will add the extra day on in future but it seems daft having to book 3 days for two days away!
  6. Subscriber RDM
    12 May '08 13:02
    I have no problems with taking skulls.

    I find it amusing though that some people will set their alarms to go off at 2:30 in the morning so they can see if they can capture that elusive time out win.
  7. 12 May '08 13:29
    Originally posted by RDM
    I have no problems with taking skulls.

    I find it amusing though that some people will set their alarms to go off at 2:30 in the morning so they can see if they can capture that elusive time out win.
    It does depend on the provocation though, I've actually done that once (not the alarm thingy, just getting up in the middle of the night). It was a 7/14 tournament game, he was losing badly, just wouldn't move and was close to holding up the next round. He'd also dropped a few patronising in-game messages which I'd ignored. But he'd got up my nose so effectively that it was a real pleasure to watch that skull disintegrate 2 seconds after the skull appeared .... and collect my 26 points too!
  8. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    12 May '08 13:36
    Originally posted by MissOleum
    It does depend on the provocation though, I've actually done that once (not the alarm thingy, just getting up in the middle of the night). It was a 7/14 tournament game, he was losing badly, just wouldn't move and was close to holding up the next round. He'd also dropped a few patronising in-game messages which I'd ignored. But he'd got up my nose so ef ...[text shortened]... at skull disintegrate 2 seconds after the skull appeared .... and collect my 26 points too!
    Well done! That is some slick timing!

    P-
  9. 12 May '08 14:39
    Why not take the skull when you see it? You deserve the win, and the rating points. Why not, you planned better your time than you ropponent, and that is a part of the game, isn't it?

    Yes, I'm a skull clicker, I'm not ashamed for that. (Should I be?) If my opponent has not even asked me not to - I click it.

    (I have a skull visible right no - why don't I click it? Because this game is not important for me to win, this game is only for fun. It's not a tournament game, nor clan game.)
  10. Subscriber Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    12 May '08 18:57
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Oh well once bitten twice shy, I will add the extra day on in future but it seems daft having to book 3 days for two days away!
    It doesn't really work like that. THink about it. If it is a 1 day TO game, then you don't have to book the vacation for the first day, as your timeout is running down. Probably cutting it a bit tight though, as a TO may present itself.

    D
  11. 12 May '08 20:58
    The vacation flag does not make much sense, as this example demonstrates..

    When the flag is up, the game should be frozen: no timebanks are affected, nobody can move..
  12. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    13 May '08 07:27
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    It doesn't really work like that. THink about it. If it is a 1 day TO game, then you don't have to book the vacation for the first day, as your timeout is running down. Probably cutting it a bit tight though, as a TO may present itself.

    D
    NO. I would have lost at 21:29 on the 10th.

    I SHOULD HAVE BOOKED 3 DAYS FOR MY 2 DAY VACATION.
  13. Standard member Bedingbedang
    commente moi donc ├ža
    13 May '08 13:45
    from the vacation page of the site:

    "All vacations are booked using GMT which may not match your time zone precisely.

    Timebank will continue to deplete during a vacation.

    Note : You must move in all games at risk from timeout before your vacation period ends. You may need to book additional days to compensate. "

    I personnally think everything is clear.

    You can sometimes book the exact number of days on the site depending on which timezone you are in but otherwise you do need to book an extra day, just like everyone else. That has always been the case.

    24 hour timeout is a type of game to avoid when going on vacation...if you had only games with a 7 days timeout for example, you would've been able not to book the first 6 days, that makes your vacation timebank stretch much further.
  14. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    13 May '08 16:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bedingbedang
    from the vacation page of the site:

    "All vacations are booked using GMT which may not match your time zone precisely.

    Timebank will continue to deplete during a vacation.

    Note : You must move in all games at risk from timeout before your vacation period ends. You may need to book additional days to compensate. "

    I personnally think everythin en able not to book the first 6 days, that makes your vacation timebank stretch much further.
    Yes I read "Timebank will continue to deplete during a vacation. "

    The game was one with ZERO days timebank.

    ie 1 day per move 0 days timebank
  15. 29 May '08 05:11
    This is probably a dense question, but I can't find an answer in the FAQs ...

    I've got two ongoing games that have timed out because my opponents haven't moved in weeks ... These games are taking up my quota of simultaneously playable games, meaning that I can't start any new ones (4 genuinely ongoing).

    How do I get past this without resigning? I assume I can claim a timeout win. Can anyone tell me how to do this?