When a square turns pink?

When a square turns pink?

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i
Big Cheese

Pacific NW

Moves
14 May 07

Mothball -

You will find there is a group of people who prowl the forums, especially the Help forum looking for opportunities to misdirect their frustrations on whatever is wrong in their life. Innocent questions like yours are pounced on - and those folks must feel big and important by being rude to people like you. Call them chess snobs, but they are worse. the Help forum could be to give Help, but if you dont happen to know the rules inside or out, or show any weakness - it makes their day to blabber negativity. Unfortunatelhy, it discourages people from asking questions and seeking help, which hurts the game of chess.

In my book - it is OK to ask questions, even if the FAQ has the answer, or it is unclear, or you want to be reassured, or are confused, or are new. What is so offensive about asking a possibiy uniformed question? Is someone harmed by the question being posted?

Also - you didnt whine - you made an 'off the cuff' comment that is a common colloquilism. Realize that people who direct such negativity towards you have very sad lives, or else they wouldnt be reacting to you so.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by impatient
Mothball -

You will find there is a group of people who prowl the forums, especially the Help forum looking for opportunities to misdirect their frustrations on whatever is wrong in their life. Innocent questions like yours are pounced on - and those folks must feel big and important by being rude to people like you. Call them chess snobs, but they a t such negativity towards you have very sad lives, or else they wouldnt be reacting to you so.
Some people choose to read a post the way they feel the tone would be. My first post was honest questioning about why the rule 'bites' and also pointing out the FAQ and perhaps there might be another rule this user doesn't understand.

My second post was explaining this.

My third post was a bit sarcastic, but only because this user seemed to first think I was telling them not to ask for any help, and next blowing off what I had tried to explain in my second post with more, "I'll ask what I like" comments.

This user decided a written rule that he felt "bites" and a couple other users tried to figure out what this user feels is a good rule or a bad rule.

All the rules of chess are what they are. If you know them, you can exploit your enemy. If you do not know them, they can be used against you.

There are instances where things might get heated in a thread, but I feel this thread is no where near anything like what concerns you in the forums about 'a group'. No one has been called stupid or worse here in this thread. This is an instance of a misunderstanding, and also a statement that people want to explore.

Why does this rule bite? Are all the rules crap?

I feel you have also read the thread wrong, and are being overly sensitive. This wasn't a stupid question, it just happened to be a question somewhat covered in the FAQ, I pointed that out. I feel the reader decided I was being harsh or condescending based on his comments, I'm not 100% sure.

What I am sure of is that you've read this thread wrong, or you wouldn't have needed to climb on that soap-box of yours. Yes, the rules of chess are important. Questions are good, but there is also a very clear sticky thread pointing out the FAQ.

This thread was about Pink squares, and perhaps that isn't covered in the FAQ. I only pointed out this user might find answers to future questions in the FAQ, and it was taken as an insult is my guess based on that user's posts, and yours. I'd say sorry, but I'm not the one who has misunderstood the thread's goal.

The thread started with a question. A Castle rule was questioned. Other users wanted to know why this rule bites. Would you prefer a forum where everyone agrees, and no one is questioned when they make a statement for fear they may hurt another user's feelings?

P-

i
Big Cheese

Pacific NW

Moves
15 May 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Some people choose to read a post the way they feel the tone would be. My first post was honest questioning about why the rule 'bites' and also pointing out the FAQ and perhaps there might be another rule this user doesn't understand.

My third post was a bit sarcastic, but only because this user seemed to first th ...[text shortened]... they make a statement for fear they may hurt another user's feelings?

P-
You knew I was talking about you - there is a reason for that.

Your first post "You might want to take some time and read the FAQ carefully, before you start another thread when one of your pawns vanishes into thin air. Seems there might be some rules you are not aware of" - you are going to try to convince anyone that was anything other than unfriendly, if not outright rude?

Who are you to say when someone can start a Help thread? If someone wants to ask a question before they have read the FAQ carefully - go ahead! Let the friendly, helpful tolerant people post helpful comments. If you dont like it Phlab - stay out of the Help forum or just keep your unkind comments to yourself - take out your problems on somone else.

Also - do you think you might be taking his "bite" comment a little too seriously? That phrase is very informal and lighthearded - usually sarcastic and not meant to be taken as if the author has anykind of serious problem, or anywhere near that. Lighten up!

Other users wanted to know why the rule bites? Seriously?! Like it was just an innocent question - we all believe that - that is why the tone was so innocent. And as far as "prefer a forum where everyone agrees........" So it is only one or the other? Either you agree, or you are rude? How about not agreeing in polite, respectful manner! Is that really a new concept for you?

Here is an example - check out a similar question, and one we all have seen once a month forever - confusion over en passant. Rishy posted a question "Something wrong with the site", to which mwmiller gave a very simple response. It was not rude - just to the point. Rather than slam Rishy, be rude and act superior - just give an helpful answer. There are books you can read about how to have manners.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
15 May 07

My third post was a bit sarcastic, but only because this user seemed to first th ...[text shortened]... they make a statement for fear they may hurt another user's feelings?

P-
I wouldn't worry about impatient, Phlab. He's just some kid that has been trolling people who provide help in the help forum for as long as I can remember. Thread 53108

While he has a penchant for trolling helpers, I haven't actually ever seen him provide any help himself. šŸ™„

D

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
15 May 07

I also wasn't trying to be sarcastic...
It just comes naturally to you. First step of becoming a grumpy old git!

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
15 May 07

Your first post "You might want to take some time and read the FAQ carefully, before you start another thread when one of your pawns vanishes into thin air. Seems there might be some rules you are not aware of" - you are going to try to convince anyone that was anything other than unfriendly ...[text shortened]... - just give an helpful answer. There are books you can read about how to have manners.
Obviously, you've not read those books either.

Being rude to the people you think are being rude to others? That kind of hypocritical "fight fire with fire" attitude just puts you down to the same level as them. Which then in turn completely undermines the rather comical façade of you trying to be a 'white knight' fighting the evils of forum abuse, considering the outbursts and flaming you've done to others in the past. Perhaps you should have considered this before storming in on your high-horse, spouting lectures and accusations of animosity and sarcasm.

Perhaps you'd do us the grace and favour of losing the attitude and explaining your moot point a bit further. You use the ideal of the 'context of a phrase' to both accuse Phlab and defend Mothball's respective statements; one can be taken no other way (in your opinion) while the other is taken too literally. As you suggest in your defence of Mothball, the context is down to the interpretation of the reader and shouldn't always be taken at face value which directly contradicts your argument against Phlab's original statement - a rather hypocritical juxtaposition which invalidates itself. It seems to me you're just twisting the ideal of interpretation of context to suit the points in your rather aggressive critique on forum conduct.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 May 07

Yes, there is a reason. The reaction I got from mothball. That is also why I wrote my second post. I was trying to clear it up.

Read my post to you again, there are at least 2 other users in this thread who questioned mothball. I am sure you think they were bullying also.

P-

HoH
Thug

Playing with matches

Moves
15 May 07

Mothball -

You will find there is a group of people who prowl the forums, especially the Help forum looking for opportunities to misdirect their frustrations on whatever is wrong in their life. Innocent questions like yours are pounced on - and those folks must feel big and important by being rude to people like you. Call them chess snobs, but they a ...[text shortened]... t such negativity towards you have very sad lives, or else they wouldnt be reacting to you so.
I agree, Phlabibit is a particularly pustulant proletariat punk prone to pouncing on poor protagonist's like yourself. I'd recommend Sending Feedback to complain about his incessant bullying. The best way to do this is to PM Crowley User 19815. Crowley loathes Phlabibit and would like nothing more than to crack him in the balls with a shovel.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 May 07

Originally posted by Daemon Sin
It just comes naturally to you. First step of becoming a grumpy old git!
The reader will interpret they way they like, and I've got no control over that. I might also now ask why did you wrote your statement in a Donald Duck voice?

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 May 07

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
I agree, Phlabibit is a particularly pustulant proletariat punk prone to pouncing on poor protagonist's like yourself. I'd recommend Sending Feedback to complain about his incessant bullying. The best way to do this is to PM Crowley User 19815. Crowley loathes Phlabibit and would like nothing more than to crack him in the balls with a shovel.
Quit with the Porky Pig text.

P-

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
15 May 07

Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
Crowley loathes Phlabibit and would like nothing more than to crack him in the balls with a shovel.
It's like you can read my mind...

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 May 07

Originally posted by Crowley
It's like you can read my mind...
Well... would nothing please you more? I find it interesting the REAL bullies are now coming into this thread to show their true colors.

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 May 07

Your first post "You might want to take some time and read the FAQ carefully, before you start another thread when one of your pawns vanishes into thin air. Seems there might be some rules you are not aware of" - you are going to try to convince anyone that was anything other than unfriendly ...[text shortened]... - just give an helpful answer. There are books you can read about how to have manners.
Also, there is a sticky thread on this forum asking all users to read the FAQ before posting their questions. Why do you suppose that is there?

I never said "don't ask more questions". I'm not sure why that keeps coming up, it's not anything I said or even inferred.

I never said the word bites was harsh, I just wanted to know why it bites, and were there any other rules that bite.

You are still reading my post with a tone I did not intend. Since when are questions 'rude'? I'm not even sure you read my post from what you've written here.

P-

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
15 May 07

Also, there is a sticky thread on this forum asking all users to read the FAQ before posting their questions. Why do you suppose that is there?

I never said "don't ask more questions". I'm not sure why that keeps coming up, it's not anything I said or even inferred.

I never said the word bites was harsh, I just wanted to know why it bites, and were ...[text shortened]... stions 'rude'? I'm not even sure you read my post from what you've written here.

P-
That's a Mickey Mouse post!

STS

Moves
18 May 07

Originally posted by MothBall
What does it mean when a square turns pink? I'm trying to castle on the queen side and it won't let me submit. What up?
I think it means you are ghey