1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 23:50
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    How about 17. Q h6 followed by mate on g7. Am I missing something?
    As Tom said, 17...Qg4 and now black is threatening mate. Black had an unusual amount of counter play in this situation and it tempered me as white.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 23:53
    Originally posted by SmittyTime
    And that folks is why my rating has been in a nose dive of late.
    In your defense, black did have an unusual amount of counter play, as I said.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 23:556 edits
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 23:59
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    17.Rd1 dxe5 {? probably not best but maybe black will play this} 18.exd5

And with the d file In whites grasp I don't see how black copes with the threat of a rook lift by white as running his king to f8 gets mated by Qxh7-h8/g8
    Good points. I definitely thougth about 17.Rd1 and following with the awesome rook lift. Plus, 17.Rd1 prevents his BxP which he did. But like I indicated in the notes I thought a long time on my move 17, and just decided to be more conservative with developing the N and connecting the rooks. I did see after a rook lift, my N and other rook being undeveloped, and also somewhat suceptible to a back row mate. I also saw him possibly going Qd5 before the rook lift.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 00:05
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Good points. I definitely thougth about 17.Rd1 and following with the awesome rook lift. Plus, 17.Rd1 prevents his BxP which he did. But like I indicated in the notes I thought a long time on my move 17, and just decided to be more conservative with developing the N and connecting the rooks. I did see after a rook lift, my N and other rook being undevel ...[text shortened]... somewhat suceptible to a back row mate. I also saw him possibly going Qd5 before the rook lift.
    ...Qd5 I think allows Qg4+ and Nc3 with a nice position. You probably saw all of this though and with the difference in our ratings I'm probably missing something.
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 00:07
    [pgn][FEN "r1r3k1/1bp2p1p/pb1pqB2/1p2P2Q/3P4/1P6/1PP2PPP/RN3RK1 w - - 0 1"]1.Rd1 {a wee trap with a threat. 2.d5 Bxd5 3.Rxd5 Qxd5? 4.Nc3 Qe6 5.Nd5... might not be sound and CC worthy but I would go in for this OTB} dxe5 {?} 2.dxe5 {I don't see any defense against the threats 3.Rd3 and 3.Qg5+ this resource might cause black to play 1...d5 instead which gets rid of his counterplay along the a8-h1 diagonal}[/pgn]
    That does look awesome for white. And 17.Rd1 was my second choice, and I kept looking at the rook lift wanting to get the mate immediately. Yet, I remember thinking he would leave the center pawn alone and instead relocate his K. And though I could grab his h-pawn with my Q, I was more distracted by setting up a pin along the e-file (which involved connecting rooks and getting my N into defensive play). Though, good points you make and I was thinking such during the game. I likely also missed other opportunities. I do tend to be conservative and go for a small material advantage and then diffuse, leaving a possible mate on the table.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 00:177 edits
    That does look awesome for white. And 17.Rd1 was my second choice, and I kept looking at the rook lift wanting to get the mate immediately. Yet, I remember thinking he would leave the center pawn alone and instead relocate his K. And though I could grab his h-pawn with my Q, I was more distracted by setting up a pin along the e-file (which involved conne ...[text shortened]... ve and go for a small material advantage and then diffuse, leaving a possible mate on the table.
    Yeah, I'm quite the opposite. I'll sac sac.... sac and then either me or my opponent gets mated.

Hmm that is interesting (the immediate king relocation)

maybe

I don't know. I like Ne2 as well because it will make black think since there isn't anything really forcing going on anymore.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 00:182 edits
    ...Qd5 I think allows Qg4+ and Nc3 with a nice position. You probably saw all of this though and with the difference in our ratings I'm probably missing something.
    No you make good observations, and my RHP rating is actually little inflated by spending so much time on moves and hardcore use of a games database, and also opponents seem so willing to agree to a draw after I got to 2000+. And further just got a couple of wins against a 1980 guy in and out of the hospital (which I didn't know until afterward when I questioned him about his inconsistent play).

I have only a couple of wins against players 2000+. I think my RHP rating during normal play and where I move within reasonable time is about 1950-2000. Outside of the championship torunament and the one clan league I played, my strategy has been to keep opponent rating up and go far draws when I don't fairly quickly see an advantage. Once I got above 2000, I have noticed stability in my rating. Opponents 1700-1900 (and higher) seem much more willing to draw now, and I don't lose that many points when I do draw.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 00:28
    Yeah, I'm quite the opposite. I'll sac sac.... sac and then either me or my opponent gets mated.

Hmm that is interesting (the immediate king relocation)

maybe
    [pgn][FEN "r1r3k1/1bp2p1p/pb1pqB2/1p2P2Q/3P4/1P6/1PP2PPP/RN3RK1 w - - 0 1"]1.Rd1 Kf8 2.Nc3 {now you're on d5. My intentions with the square d5 are to close down the diagonal and get rid of c ...[text shortened]... ause it will make black think since there isn't anything really forcing going on anymore.
    Yummy, that does look good in the sense of owning the d5 square and keeping the intitiative going, and blocking that annoying bishop of his bearing down on g2. I think 17.Rd1 and the scenarios you present were definitely viable for me. Fortunately, I think the game was won for me generally with some risk. The 17.Nd2 move I did make kind of punted the initiative, but I was just timing to move his K to e8 at the right moment and get a pin for material. In general, I was concerned what to do about him getting his rooks over to the g-file, and even maybe to the h-file if I did Qxh7. Thanks for the comments.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 00:35
    Yummy, that does look good in the sense of owning the d5 square and keeping the intitiative going, and blocking that annoying bishop of his bearing down on g2. I think 17.Rd1 and the scenarios you present were definitely viable for me. Fortunately, I think the game was won for me generally with some risk. The 17.Nd2 move I did make kind of punted the ini ...[text shortened]... rooks over to the g-file, and even maybe to the h-file if I did Qxh7. Thanks for the comments.
    You're welcome. I can never resist commenting on a game, especially when I see a potential, usound yet dashing, attack.
  11. e4
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 14:001 edit
    Hi Moon.

Good game (just noticed your opponent's name is Ruylopez!).
    The notes were a tad long. (my pet hate at the moment, I despise those scroll bar things).

Also perhaps you and Tom Tom could have used more diagrams when showing
    the variations, it helps other readers.

(Sometmes I feel like a big moaning troll patrolling the chess forum - sorry.)

Nice patterns hiding in there.

However he does have that annoying 1...Qe4 after 1.exf6.

So how about Nc3.

It prevents the Qe4 defence, it develops a piece and the f6 Knight is still lost.

Now for telling off No.2

Moon 1969 - LusoCanuck RHP Ch 2012

How could you resist not playing 8.Bf4 here.

It's not the best move, who cares, it's only a game. But look.

Your minor pieces now form a crescent MOON in the middle of the board.
    Win, lose or draw, you should let such opportunities pass. 🙂
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 21:51
    No you make good observations, and my RHP rating is actually little inflated by spending so much time on moves and hardcore use of a games database, and also opponents seem so willing to agree to a draw after I got to 2000+. And further just got a couple of wins against a 1980 guy in and out of the hospital (which I didn't know until afterward when I quest ...[text shortened]... higher) seem much more willing to draw now, and I don't lose that many points when I do draw.
    The same could be said about me. The link between OTB and CC ratings is tenuous, and I have hovered some 150-200 points over my OTB rating for some time now on the site.

I've also noticed that opponents react very differently once your rating here gets a 2 in front.

There are so many variables involved when a player has a large number of games going on simultaneously over an extended period of time, that it becomes even more important to judge the board and not the rating.

There's no telling what is going on with a person's life over an extended period of time, and there are so many outside tools we can use in CC (which are more valuable in some games, and less in others, further complicating things), that what is on the board is the only information about the game you can truly trust.
  13. Standard memberchessicle
    The Chessicle
    Scotland?
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 22:061 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

[fen]r4rk1/1bp2ppp/pb1p1P2/1p4B1/3Pq1N1/1P6/1PP2PPP/RN1Q1RK1 w - - 0 2[/fen]

So how about Nc3.

[fen]r4rk1/1bp1qppp/pb1p1n2/1p2P1B1/3P2N1/1PN5/1PP2PPP/R2Q1RK1 b - - 0 1[/fen]

It prevents the Qe4 defence, it [b]develops a piece
    and the f6 Knight is still lost.

[pgn]
    [FEN "r4rk1/1bp1qppp/pb1p1n2/1p2P1B1/3P2N1/1P6/1PP2PPP/RN1Q1RK1 w - - 0 t to be. I would have just taken the Knight on f6 and play the game a piece up. }[/pgn]

[/b]
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 02:023 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Moon.

Good game (just noticed your opponent's name is Ruylopez!).
    The notes were a tad long. (my pet hate at the moment, I despise those scroll bar things).

Also perhaps you and Tom Tom could have used more diagrams when showing
    the variations, it helps other readers.

(Sometmes I feel like a big moaning troll patrolling the chess forum - s the middle of the board.
    Win, lose or draw, you should let such opportunities pass. 🙂
    GP, thanks for the excellent comments. I agree with your analysis. As you readily recognize, in ways black had an unusal amount of counterplay, and in particular my f-pawn was fixed at f2.

In the position below, I had planned to take pxN all along and changed mind at last minute doing NxN thinking to prevent his Qe4 and also seems like I remember thinking I saw a potential mate on him (which there wasn't). Anyway, it was uncharacteristic for me to turn down material.

I have been moving blitz-like in the first round of the championship tournament. Won't have that luxury next round (if I make it to the next round).

The most striking scenario you pointed is if I pxN and he took back with his g-pawn gxf6 which was likely (if he didn't immediately go Qe4), then I take with my Bxf6 and set up for the mate. I didn't see that at all. That would have ended the game quick.

And the moon vision on the board was funny. I liked my opponent and he seemed like a nice guy who is an agressive chess player, but that was a lazy game for me and the moon structure on the board would have fit my strategy perfectly.

15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 02:252 edits
    Originally posted by chessicle
    [pgn]
    [FEN "r4rk1/1bp1qppp/pb1p1n2/1p2P1B1/3P2N1/1P6/1PP2PPP/RN1Q1RK1 w - - 0 1"]
    1. Nd2 {Covers e4, and allows the knight to come to f3 to defend the long diagonal} dxe5 2. dxe5 Qe6 3. exf6 Qc6 4. Nf3 {Looks good for White to me! Of course there's also 4. Qf3 Qxf3 5. Bxf3 gf3 if you really want the tripled pawns....} Rad8 5. Qc1[/pgn]
    I like it. Looks good to me (the position below of your analysis).

White is up a piece and a pawn, and with attacking possibilities on black's king side, and with apparent defense for white's king. What I like is that the quick Nd2 move prevents black Qe4, and the pin on the N at f6 remains intact, so that white then next move exf6 taking the N. As GP alluded, the thing to do is to take the material (N) now, and your first Nd2 prevents the black Qe4 but the capability to exf6 (N) remains.

As white in this position (below), if I didn't see a mate on black right waya, I would just try to trade material and diffuse the position, and win because of being a piece and pawn up.

I did wonder and have not examined it, what if black Bxd4 instead of dxe5. Either way, I get his N with exf6.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree