Accepting an open invite

Accepting an open invite

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
186d

Only started playing here on Monday after 17 year break.

If I accept an open invite and I am within the rating range specified; what is the etiquette if the person who had the invite doesn't want to play. Twice now I have simply received an email saying the person had deleted the game. Surely there must be a reason given/explanation/or at least a polite no thank you. Or am I being to sensitive?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
186d

@martins said
Only started playing here on Monday after 17 year break.

If I accept an open invite and I am within the rating range specified; what is the etiquette if the person who had the invite doesn't want to play. Twice now I have simply received an email saying the person had deleted the game. Surely there must be a reason given/explanation/or at least a polite no thank you. Or am I being to sensitive?
People can delete a game before two full moves have been made.

It would be polite to tell people why one would delete a game.

So I think you are not overly sensitive, and it would help if you could just shake it off.

Moves
186d

@Ponderable

I appreciate your reply.

I half expected that would be the response.

As a PS - how do you know when someone replies to a post as you have just done.

The only way seems to be to keep looking at your original message to see if anyone has replied.

I would have thought there would be a notification.

mlb62

Moves
186d

As a PS - how do you know when someone replies to a post as you have just done.

The only way seems to be to keep looking at your original message to see if anyone has replied.

I would have thought there would be a notification.
go to your messages sent box. There will be a small envelope there. If the envelope is open, then it has been read.

mlb62

Moves
186d

@martins said

If I accept an open invite and I am within the rating range specified; what is the etiquette if the person who had the invite doesn't want to play. Twice now I have simply received an email saying the person had deleted the game. Surely there must be a reason given/explanation/or at least a polite no thank you.
it's possible the invitation asked you to play a certain move #1. Like e4, d4, c4, Nf3, etc.
If you don't play the requested first move, the opponent will probably delete the game.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
186d

If you are talking about a 'private message' sent to an individual, then what mlb62 posted above is correct.

If you are talking about a 'forum post', then you will need to check back in the forum to see if there are replies to your post.

I hope this answer was helpful.

Moves
185d

@mlb62

Thank you for your reply

Where is my message sent box please?

Sorry to be so basic, but only been back a week after 17 years away and am trying to get around the new (to me) website

Cheers

Moves
185d

@mwmiller

Thank you

I suspected as much having had a look around

How come no-one has sent Russ a suggestion that there is a notification that someone has replied to you forum post

mlb62

Moves
185d

hi MartinS... click on your own avatar picture. them click on "My Messages....then click on "Sent messages". it shows a list of messages you have sent. each one will have a small envelope... if it is open then it has been read...

Moves
185d

@mlb62

I must be blind; where is that envelope please?

Moves
185d

@MartinS

Ok

found the envelope

That only seems to be regarding message sent during a game

How do I know when someone has replied to a [post I have made in a forum please

eg - how will I know if you reply?

mlb62

Moves
185d

@martins said
@MartinS

How do I know when someone has replied to a [post I have made in a forum please
so I believe you want to be alerted by the website, if/when you have a reply to your post in a forum. Not sure if that's possible. Sounds like you might have to be a subscriber...

Moves
185d

@mlb62 said
so I believe you want to be alerted by the website, if/when you have a reply to your post in a forum. Not sure if that's possible. Sounds like you might have to be a subscriber...
Spot on

Firstly, I am a subscriber

It is not that hard for you to get a notification that someone has replied to a post

For example; I am a member of a share trading website and post many times on different forums for different stocks.

EVERY time someone replies to a message of mine, I get an alert saying who responded AND to which particular post I had made.

It is not that hard

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
185d

@martins said
Spot on

It is not that hard for you to get a notification that someone has replied to a post

For example; I am a member of a share trading website and post many times on different forums for different stocks.

EVERY time someone replies to a message of mine, I get an alert saying who responded AND to which particular post I had made.

It is not that hard
The option you describe isn't available on here.
I look at the last post on the forum.
If it's not my name on the latest date I know someone has posted since I did.
I then have to check if the latest post(s) are in answer to mine.

F

Moves
185d

@martins said
Spot on

It is not that hard
In my experience, a feature that can be described succinctly can nonetheless be difficult or time-consuming to implement in software.

If that's the case with automated notifications for when someone has replied to a post, I would imagine that a website pertaining to the financial industry would tend to have more resources for website development than would a site devoted to chess.