18 Mar '16 12:58
    Sounds like Nakamura's winnings will be 10% lighter
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 13:05
    Wow, round 6 was rather eventful!

Apparently, Naka blundered into a loss by touching his King, thus forcing him to move it, when he had a better move with the rook.

Today is a rest day I believe, so now tomorrow's game Karjakin vs Aronian will have even greater importance 😀

I really want to see Carlsen vs Aronian... Karjakin will have his time though, for sure.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 14:53
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Wow, round 6 was rather eventful!

Apparently, Naka blundered into a loss by touching his King, thus forcing him to move it, when he had a better move with the rook.

Today is a rest day I believe, so now tomorrow's game Karjakin vs Aronian will have even greater importance 😀

I really want to see Carlsen vs Aronian... Karjakin will have his time though, for sure.
    I can't disagree, Arionian v Carlsen would be a great match. They played a match in the candidates a few years ago (i think Carlsen was a wild card at the time). I highly recommend this series of games, both players traded wins. It's a great watch. 🙂
  4. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    18 Mar '16 19:21
    Nakamura had the "hand in the cookie jar" look on his face... 🙁

The more I look at the games I see Caruana has played very well. He has worked a lead in most games but his opponent has held. I like the old format with 1v1 mini-matches where a player has to lose to go home.

IIRC the Maurice Ashley interviews from the tour last year pinpointed Giri and Caruana as the players with the best preparation. Fast forward to this event and everyone seems to be playing for a draw against those two.
  5. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    19 Mar '16 22:45
    Rd. 7 Naka beat Topalov and Aronian-Karjakin was a draw.
  6. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 17:10
    Well, looks like it's over for Naka, played an awful blunder and got creamed by Caruana in just 33 moves. Aronian drew, and Karjakin looks to be dead lost against Svidler.
  7. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 18:00
    Actually, the Svidler-Karjakin game was very topsy turvy indeed, both sides having seemingly favourable positions at different stages,
    only for the game to be agreed a draw, after Svidler apparently "forgot that g6 existed" lol 😀

Also, is anyone here looking forward to the next breakthrough chess book: "How To Draw by Anish Giri"? 😠
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 19:02
    Caruana played the same line that Wei Yi played against Navara, queenside castling with kingside pawn storm both kings on opposite wings, Naka seemed prepared and played the testing 10.b5 but was outplayed. variation is great no more Berlins , weeeee 😀
  9. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    20 Mar '16 20:25
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Actually, the Svidler-Karjakin game was very topsy turvy indeed, both sides having seemingly favourable positions at different stages,
    only for the game to be agreed a draw, after Svidler apparently "forgot that g6 existed" lol 😀

Also, is anyone here looking forward to the next breakthrough chess book: "How To Draw by Anish Giri"? 😠
    Can't believe Svidler let Karkajin off in that position.
  10. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 05:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Caruana played the same line that Wei Yi played against Navara, queenside castling with kingside pawn storm both kings on opposite wings, Naka seemed prepared and played the testing 10.b5 but was outplayed. variation is great no more Berlins , weeeee 😀
    I am wondering why Nakamura played the Berlin in the first place. With 7 or 8 rounds left he is -2 chasing guys that are +2. Naka is a Najdorf expert but instead plays a drawing opening which he can't even get a draw out of.
  11. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 09:04
    USA is now rooting for Fabiano
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 09:54
    Originally posted by SPswindler
    I am wondering why Nakamura played the Berlin in the first place. With 7 or 8 rounds left he is -2 chasing guys that are +2. Naka is a Najdorf expert but instead plays a drawing opening which he can't even get a draw out of.
    Giri plays that, i thought it was a draw? 😕
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 17:01
    Originally posted by SPswindler
    it seems that top players don't rate it as a draw or that they think it gives them the best chances with either side. Caruana for many years has avoided the Berlin with d3, he was one of the first I saw playing the set up and its now being honed into a formidable weapon.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 19:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    it seems that top players don't rate it as a draw or that they think it gives them the best chances with either side. Caruana for many years has avoided the Berlin with d3, he was one of the first I saw playing the set up and its now being honed into a formidable weapon.
    I think the main reason is that the Berlin end game is a position that engines struggle to evaluate. Therefore it is a test of technique right from the opening. I don't mind seeing it personally. Yes it gets a bit repetitive (especially as you often see the same lines repeated) but there are some games of Carlsen and Caruana (against each other and independently) that are really interesting.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    21 Mar '16 21:28
    So what about Anand? I find it hard to bet against him now that he has beaten one of the leaders. I wouldn't put it past him to beat Karjakin as well. Third time lucky maybe 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree