Chess Program Abuse Syndrome

Chess Program Abuse Syndrome

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Moves
05 Dec 13

Does anyone else suffer from this new malady? Chess Program Abuse Syndrome (CPAS). Here are the symptoms: Late at night at the computer screen with a glass of Scotch (or other favorite intoxicant), set the program (in my case Shredder Classic 4) to a very low rating and then beat it over and over at roughly blitz speed. This is highly addictive (at least to relatively weak players like me) and only for a short time satisfies a sick urge for revenge.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
05 Dec 13

Originally posted by Votbinnick
Does anyone else suffer from this new malady? Chess Program Abuse Syndrome (CPAS). Here are the symptoms: Late at night at the computer screen with a glass of Scotch (or other favorite intoxicant), set the program (in my case Shredder Classic 4) to a very low rating and then beat it over and over at roughly blitz speed. This is highly addictive (at le ...[text shortened]... to relatively weak players like me) and only for a short time satisfies a sick urge for revenge.
?

Über-Nerd

Moves
05 Dec 13

Beating humans is much more satisfying. Getting beat by humans much more enlightening.

The King of Board

Solar System

Moves
05 Dec 13

Try to increase a little bit the program ELO....go to the next level!!
Or change the drink try beer next time

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
05 Dec 13

Does anyone else suffer from this new malady? Chess Program Abuse Syndrome (CPAS). Here are the symptoms: Late at night at the computer screen with a glass of Scotch (or other favorite intoxicant), set the program (in my case Shredder Classic 4) to a very low rating and then beat it over and over at roughly blitz speed. This is highly addictive (at le ...[text shortened]... to relatively weak players like me) and only for a short time satisfies a sick urge for revenge.
Who is abusing whom here?

V

Moves
05 Dec 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Who is abusing whom here?
The human is "abusing" the chess program.

Moves
05 Dec 13

Equally satisfying is to threaten to pick up the machine and throw it out of the window. You can see it quivering in its little silicon boots. Most enjoyable.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
06 Dec 13

The human is "abusing" the chess program.
That's what I thought at first; but then, I read the word "revenge".

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
06 Dec 13
1 edit

From somebody who's been here for over 2 years and never made a single move, I find the question somewhat obtuse.

-m.

h
peacedog's keeper

Moves
06 Dec 13
1 edit

I like Snake's way of dealing with a cocky computer:

On second thoughts I would have just drunk the whisky 😡

V

Moves
06 Dec 13

Sorry, but it's actually been a lot longer than two years. I haven't played a game online in at least 20 years--back when there were only one or two chess servers. I am trying to cope with a serious and debilitating chess addiction. I am a recovering chessaholic who has just fallen off the wagon due to the world chess championship that I foolishly watched with excitement.

Mister Why

San Carlos, CA

Moves
06 Dec 13

Originally posted by hedonist
I like Snake's way of dealing with a cocky computer: http://youtu.be/d2R-K0vl94s

On second thoughts I would have just drunk the whisky 😡
What the heck? That's not checkmate!

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
07 Dec 13
1 edit

Sorry, but it's actually been a lot longer than two years. I haven't played a game online in at least 20 years--back when there were only one or two chess servers. I am trying to cope with a serious and debilitating chess addiction. I am a recovering chessaholic who has just fallen off the wagon due to the world chess championship that I foolishly watched with excitement.
Then for your own good, "You're not welcome!" πŸ˜€

-m. πŸ˜‰

Edit: actually, seeing as you admitted you have falled off the wagon, how about back to step 2? :

2. Came to believe that Magnus Carlsen could restore us to sanity.

K

Moves
07 Dec 13

You joined this site Oct 2011 and have not played a single game I think you are some sort of douche.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
07 Dec 13

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
You joined this site Oct 2011 and have not played a single game I think you are some sort of douche.
I'd much rather have a 'douche' that hasn't said anything stupid than someone who makes lots of moves and pollutes the forums with drivel.