1. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 19:01
    Originally posted by I Falco I
    I will look in to the Sicilian, but it requires a lot of studying and it has a lot of theory.
    All that theory? I think people in the class level can play The Sicilian Dragon or Najdorf easily, even if it does have all that theory. I've won a lot of games with the Najdorf and some with the Dragon. Theory doesn't all that much matter at the class player level anyway.
  2. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 19:04
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense...
    I'll use shorter words next time.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 04:52
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    I'll use shorter words next time.
    That's not why it makes no sense.
  4. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 05:01
    I primarily play the Sicilian Dragon and Accelerated Dragon (primarily the Anti-Yugoslav variation to avoid the Yugoslav attack when I know that my opponent has studied the system) vs 1. e4. I do know a decent amount of the Najdorf but prefer the white pieces of the Najdorf. I used to play Alekhine's Defense but gave it up as I felt that the Sicilian Dragon gave black better chances. I do occasionally play 1. ...e5 (my favorite open game being the Two Knights Defense) but I hate playing the black pieces in the Ruy Lopez, which is primarily why I avoid 1. ...e5.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 05:16
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    I primarily play the Sicilian Dragon and Accelerated Dragon (primarily the Anti-Yugoslav variation to avoid the Yugoslav attack when I know that my opponent has studied the system) vs 1. e4. I do know a decent amount of the Najdorf but prefer the white pieces of the Najdorf. I used to play Alekhine's Defense but gave it up as I felt that the Sicilian Drag ...[text shortened]... but I hate playing the black pieces in the Ruy Lopez, which is primarily why I avoid 1. ...e5.
    Right now I'm using the Sicilian Najdorf against 1.e4 and the Pirc against 1.d4, however if I know that my opponent is well versed in the Sicilian I can play the Pirc and transpose into positions that I'm more familiar with.
  6. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 05:221 edit
    I have tried the French Defense, and I can't say that I like it too much. The Caro-Kann is a bit too slow and positional for my taste. So hooray for sharp sicilians.

I almost always meet 1. d4 with the King's Indian Defense. Against opponents who are well prepared for it though, I sometimes try the line
    1. d4 Nf6
    2. c4 e6
    3. Nf3/Nc3 d5

transposing a queen's gambit declined. I don't like the QGD much, but I CAN play it.
  7. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 05:361 edit
    That's not why it makes no sense.
    Okay, try using the other brain cell.
  8. washington
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 16:12
    the sicicilian is a very fun opening where both sides can attack the crap out of each other in a bloody battle. the other people suggesting the pirc are crazy i tried that opening a while back and the game is so boring its closed forever and when things are traded off usually the queens are gone and its a boring game all around. if your looking for a sound defense against a good player it may be better but if you play the sicicilian you'll have a hell of a lot more fun.
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 16:28
    Originally posted by kmac27
    the sicicilian is a very fun opening where both sides can attack the crap out of each other in a bloody battle. the other people suggesting the pirc are crazy i tried that opening a while back and the game is so boring its closed forever and when things are traded off usually the queens are gone and its a boring game all around. if your looking for a sound de ...[text shortened]... od player it may be better but if you play the sicicilian you'll have a hell of a lot more fun.
    Yes, the pirc is automatically boring because Kmac says it is. Kmac, should we also stop ignoring all of the positive comments grandmasters that use it have given?
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 07:44
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    Okay, try using the other brain cell.
    It's exactly that kind of comment that makes no sense.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 08:05
    kings indian attack and kings indian defence
  12. Standard memberbosintang
    perpetualEditMonkey
    Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 15:211 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I would recomend the sicilian defence Najdorf variation.
    I don't mean to be a pedant, but advice like this isn't really helpful, because it presumes that white will choose to play an open sicilian. A more appropriate answer -- if a question like this deserves an answer at all -- would be to say to play 1...c5.

That being said, I don't know your true rating OP, but I'll assume you are a beginner, and I wouldn't get too concerned with opening theory and lines. I suggest mirroring white's move 1.e4 with 1..e5 and sticking to the main opening principles (fight for the centre, develop your pieces, don't make unnecessary pawn movements, don't unecessarily move a piece more than once, castle early, castle often).

If you insist on studying openings in more depth, then I will mention that the three most popular defences to 1.e4 are 1...c5 (Sicilian defence), 1...e5 (Double Kings pawn), and 1...e6 (French defence).
    Of those three, the Sicilian is probably the sharpest and most complex. You could experiment with these openings and find one that is comfortable for you.
  13. Standard memberAmaurote
    No Name Maddox
    County Doledrum
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 15:27
    It's exactly that kind of comment that makes no sense.
    Until you actually start making sense yourself, you're going to have difficulties.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree