1. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 14:20
    Game 15501540
    I offered a draw and my opponent accepted.
    I couldn't find a win for white.
    I suspect there isn't one
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 15:51
    @venda said
    Game 15501540
    I offered a draw and my opponent accepted.
    I couldn't find a win for white.
    I suspect there isn't one
    Seemed to me there should be and comp agrees.

One idea is to try to block a check with Q on 7th, counter checking black's King.
  3. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 18:58
    @bigdogg said
    Seemed to me there should be and comp agrees.

One idea is to try to block a check with Q on 7th, counter checking black's King.
    That sounds like a good idea, and it's similar to the advice in Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual that the side with the pawn(s) should try to put the king on the same rank or file as that of the opposing king, or on an adjacent rank or file. Another tip in the book is to centralize one's queen. The book acknowledges the complexity of queen and pawn endings and focuses on principles such as the above. Even if a position in such an ending is winning, it might take 50 moves to prove it!

If venda's game had continued after 59.Qb6, here are a few continuations that illustrate how White might have temporarily escaped from checks. Each chess movie has 59.Qb6 as the first move.

These few possibilities show how centralizing White's queen facilitates shielding White's king from checks.

Dvoretsky also advises the defending side's king to try to reach the "opposite" (relative to the center of the board) of the pawn's promotion square, so as to avoid checks that force an exchange of queens. If venda had only a b-pawn, this would imply that Black's king should try to reach the g1 square. But White's having multiple passed pawns makes it less clear where Black's king belongs and gives White greater winning chances.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    07 Feb '24 21:32
    @fmdavidhlevin said
    That sounds like a good idea, and it's similar to the advice in Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual that the side with the pawn(s) should try to put the king on the same rank or file as that of the opposing king, or on an adjacent rank or file. Another tip in the book is to centralize one's queen. The book acknowledges the complexity of queen and pawn endings and focuses ...[text shortened]... passed pawns makes it less clear where Black's king belongs and gives White greater winning chances.
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    After enduring multiple checks,I didn't see the continuations shown and I suppose I just lost patience.
    Just shows that working on endgames is probably as, if not more important than studying openings
  5. e4
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 00:232 edits
    Black was possibly more disappointed with the draw.
    He was winning for a large part of the game.
    Black took their foot off the gas after winning the piece.
    White fought their way back into the game.

A difficult ending, of the 8,400 RHP games with this ending 41% were drawn
    My main OTB database has 7,700 with 41% drawn (!)

Sometimes the player with the extra pawn or pawns walks into a mate.
    These are RHP examples but it has happened OTB as well.

scottmd64 - Churchley RHP 2013

82...Ke3 83.Qe2 mate.

spats - barbarroja RHP 2010

85...Qc3 86.Qa8+ mate next move.

Chordless - Paul A Roberts RHP 2021

Black played 70...Kf2 (71.Qg3+ and Qg1 mate followed.)
    I have about 20 of these selfmates on RHP.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    08 Feb '24 11:02
    Thanks Geoff.
    Gratifying to know a win for white wasn't easy!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree