1. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    09 Dec '23 08:59
    Openings are commonly known common endgames are less known I would like to discuss common endgame positions to improve my play and the play of others
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    09 Dec '23 10:17
    @bobdaniel09 said
    Openings are commonly known common endgames are less known I would like to discuss common endgame positions to improve my play and the play of others
    I don't know much about theory.I just wing it most of the time!.
    Have you tried using the analyze feature on your games?
    You can try out your move, what you think your opponent might do in response and go back and forth as often as you like before committing.
    This is obviously no good for otb play but it's useful here and does help to avoid silly blunders.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 Dec '23 17:35
    Two basic ones to know for King and pawn endings.

1) King on 5th rank, in front of pawn

Drawn if white to move
    White wins if black to move

With black to move, white has the "opposition". Black has to give ground.

Here's how it goes with white to move:

2) King on 6th rank, in front of pawn

This one, white wins regardless of who is to move.

4. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    10 Dec '23 09:52
    @venda
    I have tried it and it recently helped me win an endgame
  5. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    10 Dec '23 09:561 edit
    @BigDogg
    How do you make boards like that I tried but I couldn't make one
  6. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Dec '23 17:033 edits
    @bobdaniel09 said
    All I can suggest is to get familiar with the basic mates using King & Queen vs King, King & Rook vs King, King & 2 minor pieces vs King and the King vs pawn situations that BigDogg posted. Once done, you can then seek to trade down into these positions in your games and use your acquired theory to win.

Mastering "common" endgame situations such as Rook and Pawn, same-colored bishops, Queen vs 2 minor pieces, Rook vs 2 minor pieces Queen vs Rook + pawn(s) etc. are going to require many hours of study. It depends how deeply you want to go in your endgames.
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Dec '23 17:43
    @bobdaniel09 said
    @BigDogg
    How do you make boards like that I tried but I couldn't make one
    See FAQ on FEN and PGN:

FAQ
  8. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    10 Dec '23 20:14
    @mchill said
    All I can suggest is to get familiar with the basic mates using King & Queen vs King, King & Rook vs King, King & 2 minor pieces vs King and the King vs pawn situations that BigDogg posted. Once done, you can then seek to trade down into these positions in your games and use your acquired theory to win.

Mastering "common" endgame situations such as Rook and Pawn, same-colo ...[text shortened]... tc. are going to require many hours of study. It depends how deeply you want to go in your endgames.
    I know the basic endgames but i am looking to learn some more advanced endgames
  9. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Dec '23 23:131 edit
    @bobdaniel09 said
    Fundamental Chess Endings by Karsten Muller and Frank Lamprecht.

Don't let the title fool you. It's 350+ pages of in-depth, workman like endgame study. It includes many exercises, and an answer key. This will keep you occupied for a long time.
  10. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    11 Dec '23 14:47
    @bobdaniel09 said
    Could you give us some examples of advanced endgames that have or could have arisen in your games.
  11. Standard memberBOBDANIEL09
    Future GM
    Moves
    12 Dec '23 07:48
    @FMDavidHLevin
    None that I can think of but I have probably missed many like triangulation and the philador defense
  12. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    12 Dec '23 16:15
    The US periodical Chess Life & Review used to carry a column called "The Practical Endgame" by Grandmaster Edmar Mednis. I don't recall the range of issues where it appeared, but it was definitely in the April 1972 issue. PDFs of back issues of that and some other publications can be downloaded for free at https://new.uschess.org/chess-life-digital-archives .
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Dec '23 01:411 edit
    @bobdaniel09 said
    @FMDavidHLevin
    None that I can think of but I have probably missed many like triangulation and the philador defense
    Philidor technique is simple. In a position like this one:

Black keeps the Rook on the 6th rank, preventing white's King from moving up.

Then, once white moves the pawn up instead, Black moves the Rook down to the 1st rank to endlessly check the King. It can't step in front of the pawn for shelter anymore.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Dec '23 01:52
    Lucena position

White's K is in front of pawn
    Black's K has been pushed to the side

15. Joined
    15 Dec '20
    Moves
    13 Dec '23 04:07
    In BigDogg's post about the Lucena position, the following position was reached after 5.Kc6:

Imagine that instead of 5...Rc1+, Black plays 5...Rb2, reaching the following position:

How should White proceed? (The first hidden content is a hint; the second is the answer.)

Reveal Hidden Content
    Hint: build a different bridge.

Reveal Hidden Content
    Answer: 6.Rd5, intending to shortly play Rb5...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree