1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:01
    Originally posted by Golub
    I always thought of the KID as kind of weak..
    If this opening was so unsound I dont think that Radjabov would play it. And don`t forget that KID was used by Kasparov with good results.
  2. back in business
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 19:57
    Originally posted by Korch
    Even such moves like 1...h5 or 1...a5? 😀
    1.d4 h5 gives black beautiful counter-attacking chances. there might follow 2.d5 Rh6 and black already has his rook ready for battle 🙂
  3. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:01
    If this opening was so unsound I dont think that Radjabov would play it. And don`t forget that KID was used by Kasparov with good results.
    And then again there are GM's who think differently..
  4. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:03
    And then again there are GM's who think differently..
    Can these GM`s refute this opening? While they cant do it, then I`ll think that this opening is playable.
  5. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:102 edits
    Can these GM`s refute this opening? While they cant do it, then I`ll think that this opening is playable.
    No, last time I checked noone had refuted the KID, I'd be surprised if someone did. That does not disable anyone from pointing out its weaknesses or skepsis - even at the highest level. It is their judgement, and I agree with it.
  6. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:11
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    1.d4 h5 gives black beautiful counter-attacking chances. there might follow 2.d5 Rh6 and black already has his rook ready for battle 🙂
    I think you are refering to the four rooks opening which continues 3.Nf3 a5 4.Nc3 Ra6 😉
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:13
    Originally posted by sleightjacke
    I think you are refering to the four rooks opening which continues 3.Nf3 a5 4.Nc3 Ra6 😉
    That's the 2 rooks.
  8. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:22
    No, last time I checked noone had refuted the KID, I'd be surprised if someone did. That does not disable anyone from pointing out its weaknesses or skepsis - even at the highest level. It is their judgement, and I agree with it.
    Skepticism of the KID based on what analysis? 😕

The French is absolutely fine, of course, but the Poison Pawn Vars. of the Winawer is getting a very good test in the in-progress Akizy-Weyerstrass game.
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:241 edit
    I dont take serious only scepticism whitout something more concrete.
  10. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:48
    I don't have access to any GM analysis - and I honestly don't see why I should.
  11. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:52
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    That's the 2 rooks.
    obviously you don't know of this opening, you see white playes a4 Ra3 and h4 Rh3 and there you have it - the four rooks opening
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:54
    Originally posted by Yuga
    Skepticism of the KID based on what analysis? 😕

The French is absolutely fine, of course, but the Poison Pawn Vars. of the Winawer is getting a very good test in the in-progress Akizy-Weyerstrass game.
    They avoided that didn't they?
  13. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:57
    Yes.

Weyer played 7...0-0 instead of 7...Qc7 to enter the poisoned pawn variation.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:58
    Originally posted by Tengu
    Yes.

Weyer played 7...0-0 instead of 7...Qc7 to enter the poisoned pawn variation.
    Yeah, that's what I had thought.
  15. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 22:00
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    But, the French is played by people that don't have time to study books and databases. It is not theory laden, like the Sicilian and Spanish (where one must know lines 20 moves deep). It is simple and straightforward. Yet, white players fear it. It's as if black is saying, "I'm okay with a draw." And white, in fear, offer equality. I think that's why they lo ...[text shortened]... is okay. Concede equality on move three, and black has already won the psychological game.
    Thats a bit too much of a generalisation especially when you consider that the main reasons John Watson dropped the poisoned pawn winawer and 3... Nf6 Tarrasch from the latest edition of "Play the French" was because they had been almost analysed to death.

Although I do agree that generally the spanish, sicilian and KID have been analysed almost to extinction!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree