Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 20:36
    watch it on youtube
  2. Joined
    09 Sep '10
    Moves
    04 Apr '24 23:551 edit
    Support the Lichess stream. πŸ’ͺ Although I watch just about everything about chess on YouTube and I follow all of the drama ...so I encourage everyone to explore all of the fun chess stuff going on. Even this website that we play on!

The Candidates Tournament is a big deal even when we have quitters who are scared to lose the title eventually which always happened to the greats of the past who went down in battle like they should but what can you do 🀷 I guess Magnus doesn't respect the game or its past and his ability to realize you had it but all the greats go down.

I absolutely hate him.
  3. Joined
    09 Sep '10
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 00:08
    Nepo going to win πŸ’ͺ

Most mortals would have quit after making it to the WC twice and losing both times but Nepo is a fighter.
    Is he a quitter? No no no!!!

Kortchnoi found a way to rise from the grave and watch a player, much like himself, try one last time.
    Kortchnoi is watching Nepo this time.
  4. Joined
    09 Sep '10
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 01:111 edit
    So an edit.

I grew up with books and it was written Kortchnoi.

Now the internet has it as Korchnoi.

I dunno 🀷
  5. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 05:415 edits
    @fartacus said
    Support the Lichess stream. πŸ’ͺ Although I watch just about everything about chess on YouTube and I follow all of the drama ...so I encourage everyone to explore all of the fun chess stuff going on. Even this website that we play on!

The Candidates Tournament is a big deal even when we have quitters who are scared to lose the title eventually which always happened to the gr ...[text shortened]... its past and his ability to realize you had it but all the greats go down.

I absolutely hate him.
    I absolutely hate him.

Why? He won the world title, defended his title a few times, and is now living the life he wants. This man has nothing left to prove and has more than "enough respect for the game" to conduct himself in a friendly, but professional way in the competitive format of his choosing. Many chess players would happily trade places with him. So, what's the problem?

P.S. I read your profile and played thru a couple of your games, and DO NOT think you'd be terrible even if you took more time to think. πŸ™‚
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 10:25
    @ketchuplover

For those who want to follow the event, here is a link:

https://candidates2024.fide.com/

Personally, I'm routing for Caruana. A fine field of candidates, including Nakamura. But where is Wesley So?
  7. Joined
    09 Sep '10
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 21:11
    @mchill

Let me know when you're going to enter a tournament on this site. We are the same rating and I'll crush you. (Try to anyways)
  8. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 21:141 edit
    @fartacus said
    So an edit.

I grew up with books and it was written Kortchnoi.

Now the internet has it as Korchnoi.

I dunno 🀷
    Just seen an interesting take, in Russian sounds something like Korchni the "o" normally silent. Depending on whether you are German, French, Swiss etc the name can be spelt differently.

How do you spell 'Korchnoi'? The questions rears its ugly head from time to time on chess forums and blogs. At first, it seems a very straightforward matter: you just transcribe the letters from the cyrillic alphabet into Latin letters and there you are. But of course the problems only start there, because the Russian sounds are written down differently in different languages. For instance, the 'ch' in Korchnoi is written 'tsch' in German and 'tch' in French. In English, it's either 'tch' or 'ch' (depending on, if nothing else, taste) and in Dutch, it's 'tsj'. And this is just the 'ch' sound: similar discussions can be held about the final 'i'.

On top of that, Korchnoi hasn't been a Russian citizen for quite some time now, so there's actually no need to spell his name with cyrillic letters at all anymore. Perhaps we should always spell it the 'Swiss' way? But Switzerland itself has many official languages, so which one should we choose? Or should we write it the way Korchnoi himself prefers to do it? These are all tricky questions, but with the rise of internet, the English version seems to have gained preference in most cases where the cyrillic alphabet is involved.

Even so, problems remain. Even if we could agree on how to spell foreign names, we're often unsure how to pronounce them. Korchnoi, again, is an interesting case in point. A Russian would probably pronounce his name as sounding, to us, something like 'Kahrchnoi', with the emphasis on the last syllabe and the kah in the first pronounced a bit like the English word 'car'. The 'o' in Korchnoi's name, not being pronounced with emphasis in Russian, sounds much more like what Western-Europeans would call 'a'. (This in turn raises the question why we don't write 'Karchnoi', too. The answer is, I'm afraid, quite unfair: convention.). Thus, a true formalist should probably insist on pronouncing 'Kahrchnoi'. The reason, I suppose, for why almost nobody does this (except, of course, Russians) is that it sounds so obviously pedantic. And, of course, even if people could approximate the Russian sounds with any certainty, the fact would still remain that most Russians would immediately hear, from their intonation and other clues, that the speaker is in fact not Russian at all.
  9. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 21:211 edit
    @fartacus said
    @mchill

Let me know when you're going to enter a tournament on this site. We are the same rating and I'll crush you. (Try to anyways)
    fartacus - I'm doing OTB tournaments right now. Perhaps another time.
  10. Joined
    09 Sep '10
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 21:24
    @congruent

Thanks for that 😊
  11. Joined
    09 Sep '10
    Moves
    05 Apr '24 21:25
    @mchill said
    fartacus - I'm doing OTB tournaments right now. Perhaps another time.
    Rich guy eh? OTB is so expensive. Club play was fun and cheap but weekend tournaments were expensive for me so I had to quit.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    06 Apr '24 06:11
    @congruent said
    Just seen an interesting take, in Russian sounds something like Korchni the "o" normally silent. Depending on whether you are German, French, Swiss etc the name can be spelt differently.

How do you spell 'Korchnoi'? The questions rears its ugly head from time to time on chess forums and blogs. At first, it seems a very straightforward matter: you just transcribe the lett ...[text shortened]... diately hear, from their intonation and other clues, that the speaker is in fact not Russian at all.
    On top of that, Korchnoi hasn't been a Russian citizen for quite some time now,

Just to be pedantic, he hasn't been a Swiss citizen for quite some time as well.
  13. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    06 Apr '24 09:06
    Nakamura Vs Vidit, 11.. Bxh3 and Nakamura lost with Ra1 and Nb1 not having moved.

Nakamura who Carlsen felt was favourite to win the candidates, fell for some home prep in this game.
  14. Joined
    09 Sep '10
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 13:34
    I'm thinking Nepo and Fabi will be the two at the top.
  15. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    07 Apr '24 19:00
    Commentary by Vishy Anand and GM Irina Krush interesting on the FIDE video stream

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree