15 Mar '24 08:16

Removed by poster

2. Standard memberCarnivorum
    Grandpatzer
    Earth
    Moves
    18 Mar '24 07:00
    @martins said
    Why don't people reply to a courtesy hello and good luck greeting.

I am amazed at the number of people here who don't bother to reply to a friendly greeting.

Sure, I don't like chit chat in a game as it can be distracting, but surely good manners are part of chess!!

(Yes, I am aware that language issues can be a problem; but most of the time I am talking about people flying English speaking nations flags)
    Good point. Let me do something about that:

Goodmorning you all!
  3. Standard memberCarnivorum
    Grandpatzer
    Earth
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 06:322 edits
    MartinS,, I see what you mean with people refusing the elementary decency of a greeting.

More than a week ago I put here a friendly greeting to everybody, and what happened? Nobody, I mean NOBODY returned the greeting.

Somebody even had the audicity to thumb down my friendly greeting!

What is the world coming too?!

What has caused this terrible degeneration of manners?

Is it a surprise that civilization is going down the drain??

Terrible!

https://tinyurl.com/death-or-life
  4. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    26 Mar '24 06:56
    @martins said
    Why don't people reply to a courtesy hello and good luck greeting.

I am amazed at the number of people here who don't bother to reply to a friendly greeting.

Sure, I don't like chit chat in a game as it can be distracting, but surely good manners are part of chess!!

(Yes, I am aware that language issues can be a problem; but most of the time I am talking about people flying English speaking nations flags)
    Chess is warfare. On the battlefield even the most chivalrous (and British) warrior would not greet his intended victim with a polite “Good morning, old chap” before running him through with his sabre.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 Mar '24 18:59
    @pianoman1 said
    Chess is warfare. On the battlefield even the most chivalrous (and British) warrior would not greet his intended victim with a polite “Good morning, old chap” before running him through with his sabre.
    It is, and it isn't.

In chess you can win with only one pawn left. In war, that's not a victory.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree