King of the Hill chess

King of the Hill chess

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
27 Jun 15

Anyone here ever played this?
I've just discovered it, looks pretty interesting and fun 🙂

You can still win by checkmate but you can also win by getting your King on to one of the 4 centre squares,
which apparently is worth double points in tournament play.

Here's a vid of Jerry from chessnetwork playing it:

Get those Kings in the centre!

Moves
30 Jun 15

Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
Anyone here ever played this?
I've just discovered it, looks pretty interesting and fun 🙂

You can still win by checkmate but you can also win by getting your King on to one of the 4 centre squares,
which apparently is worth double points in tournament play.

Here's a vid of Jerry from chessnetwork playing it:

[youtube King of the Hill speed chess]n4lKqcFMuCw[/youtube]

Get those Kings in the centre!
Watched the whole video. Never heard of it. Looks like it would be a blast to play though!

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
30 Jun 15
1 edit

Originally posted by King Tiger
Watched the whole video. Never heard of it. Looks like it would be a blast to play though!
I made an account on lichess.org just to try out their multiple different variants (there are videos of Jerry playing these also fyi):

Horde - An army of (36!) pawns vs. a standard chess army... who is better theoretically?

Three-check - As the name suggests, the first player to give 3 checks in a game wins (any legal check, does not have to be consecutive)

You can play in time controls such as these, but there are even quicker ones such as 2 minutes with no increment.
I'm really having some fun playing these 🙂 ... best part is, lichess is free!

EDIT: Oh, and for King-of-the-hill, you don't get double points for getting your king to the centre.
I had wrongly assumed this, your points per win only double once you are on a streak (at least 3 wins in a row)
Biggest streak I've had so far is 5 🙂

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
06 Jul 15

Played some more KOTH today, starting to get the hang of it,
in fact today was the first time I managed to finish in the top 3 in a tournament 🙂

I'll show 2 games, the first being a quick mate

I played Black

The next one was more of a battle.
I have tried to include some quick analysis, although note that we was on 5min + 0sec time controls,
which is especially hard for me as I'm on a laptop, and those touchpad mice are not ideal!

I played Black again

A lot of fun 🙂 I highly recommend giving it a go... maybe we can have multiple RHP lads in the same tourney!