1. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 19:43
    'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. ' According to a large number of inspirational mugs and posters, this famous quote comes from none other than Albert Einstein.

I have been looking for a way to learn/relearn chess openings and this may be a good way to also teach some beginners I've been trying to get to improve.

Its also free as in free beer rather the free speech.

Anyone used this any thoughts?

https://omgchess.blogspot.com/2015/08/learning-openings-thoroughly-with-lucas.html
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Jan '24 07:116 edits
    @congruent said
    'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. ' According to a large number of inspirational mugs and posters, this famous quote comes from none other than Albert Einstein.

I have been looking for a way to learn/relearn chess openings and this may be a good way to also teach some beginners I've been trying to get to improve.

It ...[text shortened]... any thoughts?

https://omgchess.blogspot.com/2015/08/learning-openings-thoroughly-with-lucas.html
    I have been looking for a way to learn/relearn chess openings-

IMHO Forget about software and computer screens. There is no substitute for a good, all-around openings book such as Modern Chess Openings by GM Nick de Firmian and standard tournament chess set. Call it old school, but you and your students will remember what you've studied longer if you physically play through the openings and variations rather than clicking through them on a computer screen. You're a pretty strong player so an hour or so a day for a few months should get your opening knowledge where you want it to be.
  3. Joined
    13 Jan '24
    Moves
    31 Jan '24 01:39
    If people play online then 2 dimensional studying is best. If people pay ridiculous tournament fees, motel fees, food fees, travel fees, etc fees, then 3 dimensional studying is best.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    31 Jan '24 14:00
    Opening study is fine, until your opponent makes a move that doesn't follow your studies.This means to be thorough, you have to memorise all the variations which is very challenging!
    I recognise some openings merely through having played a lot on here,but than to think "Carlsen played such a move in this position" is beyond my memory capacity,so I just play instinctively following basic strategies-develop pieces etc.
    BTW I'm not vert good!
  5. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    10 Feb '24 11:07
    Just read that Jeremy Silman passed away last October. His books are really good.

Jeremy Silman, Author of Best-Selling Chess Books, Dies at 69
    Writing in a conversational and colloquial style, he offered practical advice on how to cut down on mistakes, the most difficult part of the game to master.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree