1. northern utah
    Moves
    09 Jan '24 20:191 edit
    good and poor ideas.

if it is a really poor idea then why in chess history did it come about ?

if it has value then when is it to be used ( as an act of no other choice or is there a chess opening that gives it some neutral or later advantage ?
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Jan '24 21:091 edit
    @the-grifter said
    good and poor ideas.

if it is a really poor idea then why in chess history did it come about ?

if it has value then when is it to be used ( as an act of no other choice or is there a chess opening that gives it some neutral or later advantage ?
    I suppose it came about for the sake of consistency.

It cannot be said without further qualification that it is a poor idea. It depends on the position and one's style of play. One can only say, very generally, that a castled K on the Q-side usually (not always) is more difficult to defend due to the greater number of possible attack-squares which have to be monitored and controlled. But, then again, if your opponent is so tied down defending against your attack, you don't need to worry about it.

Also, very generally (not always), if players castle on opposite wings, it bodes an exciting game with both players attacking the opponent's K-position. This suits some players' temperaments.
  3. northern utah
    Moves
    09 Jan '24 21:301 edit
    @moonbus

thank you for a nice reply.

but is there a chess opening which helps if you wish to qeenside castle ?

i am a very poor but a ever continuing player and would like an insight to a new opening that is unconvential so that i may disturb another player at a low level.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    09 Jan '24 21:54
    Queen-side casting can be useful for aggressive players.

Offense-minded players can more quickly attack the middle with Queen-side castling rather than King. It can cause problems for your opponent's Queen if you clear the D file.
  5. northern utah
    Moves
    09 Jan '24 22:00
    @vivify

i always play defensively and use only bishops to cancel another bishop or to save my knights ( comes from my childhood ) so i dislike bishops ( catholic history ) and play the southeast asian game with knights ( elephants ) so i guess i lose too much.

seeking a "hypermodern advantage" or "grob opening" to unsettle a very average player to play an interesting game.

looking for an opening most favorable to a queen side castle sometime within maybe the first ten moves or less.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Jan '24 22:48
    @the-grifter said
    @vivify

i always play defensively and use only bishops to cancel another bishop or to save my knights ( comes from my childhood ) so i dislike bishops ( catholic history ) and play the southeast asian game with knights ( elephants ) so i guess i lose too much.

seeking a "hypermodern advantage" or "grob opening" to unsettle a very average player to play an interest ...[text shortened]... an opening most favorable to a queen side castle sometime within maybe the first ten moves or less.
    Bear in mind that planning to castle queenside requires an extra move, namely, getting the queen out-of-the-way, in order to clear the first rank. I do not myself play any opening which envisions queenside castling as essential to the opening’s strategy, but if I think of one, I will respond.
  7. northern utah
    Moves
    09 Jan '24 22:58
    @moonbus

if you can aid me i might break the 1200 barrier some day,
  8. Subscriberhappy chappy
    I think not alot
    On my arse
    Moves
    09 Jan '24 23:26
    I've had several games over the years where castling that way was immediate checkmate. You need an idea or a plan in chess and q side castling can be your plan from move 1.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 Jan '24 00:531 edit
    In the Sicilian Dragon opening, it is quite common for white to castle Queenside.

The idea is that white is going to pawn storm on the Kingside with g4, h4 and h5. The King is safer on the other side which still has a pawn shield.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jan '24 09:50
    @the-grifter said
    @moonbus

if you can aid me i might break the 1200 barrier some day,
    Your goal in chess is to get beaten by stronger and stronger players. That's the best way to improve.
  11. e4
    Moves
    10 Jan '24 11:182 edits
    Hi Grifter,

Castling came about as the rules progressed into the game we know today.
    At one time there was a move a called 'the King's Leap' meaning once and
    once only a King could move like a Knight.

You cannot really decide you are going to 0-0-0 before a game begins you have
    to wait to see how the game goes and castle appropriately. Sometimes you do
    not need to castle, especially if the Queens are off the board, then the King can
    stay in the centre.

The Bishops are called Elephants in Asia and Persia the Knights in many languages
    are called Cavaliers.

You said; "...and would like an insight to a new opening that is unconventional
    so that i may disturb another player at a low level."

At the low level standard opening moves usually suffice, leave the unconventional
    stuff to your opponent and calmly take advantage of it. (there is a reason
    why some opening moves are called unconventional - they are quite often bad.)
    These games are decided by errors, leaving a piece hanging, or basic low-level tactics.

I looked at few of you games. You play OK and you are in good company with a
    preference for Knights over Bishops though try not to be so single minded. In some
    positions Bishops can be very strong.

I cannot understand why you resigned in Game 15538156 you are winning.
    Your opponent gave you a Rook for nothing.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    10 Jan '24 13:26
    I use the London system opening a lot with white.
    If my opponent has castled King side I will sometimes castle Queen side and then mount an attack on his King after mine is in relative safety.
    As others have said, it depends on the game position.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jan '24 16:01
    @greenpawn34 said
    Hi Grifter,

Castling came about as the rules progressed into the game we know today.
    At one time there was a move a called 'the King's Leap' meaning once and
    once only a King could move like a Knight.

You cannot really decide you are going to 0-0-0 before a game begins you have
    to wait to see how the game goes and castle appropriately. Sometimes you do
    not nee ...[text shortened]... why you resigned in Game 15538156 you are winning.
    Your opponent gave you a Rook for nothing.
    Wasn't it Tartakower who said that if an opening is unsound, then it is playable?

😆
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Jan '24 16:07
    @the-grifter said
    @moonbus

thank you for a nice reply.

but is there a chess opening which helps if you wish to qeenside castle ?

i am a very poor but a ever continuing player and would like an insight to a new opening that is unconvential so that i may disturb another player at a low level.
    I would send you a challenge, but your game settings accept challenges only from players rated over 2999.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Jan '24 01:21
    This game should have ended with queen-side castling. Lasker-Thomas, 1912.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree