1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 01:35
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Time-out should be automatic (not with sculls as in Phantom movie).
    I played OTB last Saturday for the first time in 20 years. It was 30 min
    rapid play. Against the 3rd seed it was a time scramble; eventually my
    opponent announced both of us had run out of time.

He told me his time had gone 3 minutes before mine!!!
    The game was a draw.
  2. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 01:48
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I played OTB last Saturday for the first time in 20 years. It was 30 min
    rapid play. Against the 3rd seed it was a time scramble; eventually my
    opponent announced both of us had run out of time.

He told me his time had gone 3 minutes before mine!!!
    The game was a draw.
    I look at the clock every single time press the button. But playing on the computer you miss a lot of moves playing on the board Chess.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 02:36
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I look at the clock every single time press the button. But playing on the computer you miss a lot of moves playing on the board Chess.
    Believe it or not it was the first time I had played with a digital clock
    (I used to play with the analogue ones where a flag (literally) fell).
    It wasn't until after the game someone told me what the little red light
    on his clock meant!!!!!!!
  4. Joined
    17 Dec '13
    Moves
    06 Mar '14 20:45
    Etiquette in itself has to be defined. And everyone here can agree that all people don't agree.

So the truth is there is really cannot be a complete norm, in my humble opinion.

As long as the guy across from you doesn't through his pieces or cusses you out. Doesn't turn into chess boxing. I say let it ride.
  5. Donationmarsdog
    DOG OF WAR
    Cydonia
    Moves
    08 Mar '14 23:58
    In chess at any level, except blitz, it definitely bad etiquette to drag out a lost game. It's a show of disrespect that your opponent doesn't know how, for example, to mate with queen or rook+king. I can understand if you're losing to an under rated opponent and a blunder is likely, but if the game is truly lost to a good opponent, go on to another game.
  6. Joined
    05 Mar '14
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 12:08
    I would say deleting any game from your inbox is not a right etiquette. People should adjust their settings to what kind of players (challenges) they will accept. If you are open for a challenge (when the players tab is clicked) and some one challenges you basis that, you should not delete, that is the worst disrespect you can show towards an opponent.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 15:15
    Originally posted by Geminiash
    I would say deleting any game from your inbox is not a right etiquette. People should adjust their settings to what kind of players (challenges) they will accept. If you are open for a challenge (when the players tab is clicked) and some one challenges you basis that, you should not delete, that is the worst disrespect you can show towards an opponent.
    Rec'd
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 15:193 edits
    Originally posted by marsdog
    In chess at any level, except blitz, it definitely bad etiquette to drag out a lost game. It's a show of disrespect that your opponent doesn't know how, for example, to mate with queen or rook+king. I can understand if you're losing to an under rated opponent and a blunder is likely, but if the game is truly lost to a good opponent, go on to another game.
    Well don't play me on R+Q+K vs K, R+K vs K or even Q+K vs K. I have read books on how to win like that. I even told my Instuctor not to show me, but he did show me a faster way to win with R+K vs K then what I learned from the book. My longest match at RHP and maybe ever? R+K vs B+K Game 220613 Start at 57, so technically speaking this game would be a draw.
  9. Joined
    12 Oct '09
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 19:28
    Well don't play me on R+Q+K vs K, R+K vs K or even Q+K vs K. I have read books on how to win like that. I even told my Instuctor not to show me, but he did show me a faster way to win with R+K vs K then what I learned from the book. My longest match at RHP and maybe ever? R+K vs B+K Game 220613 Start at 57, so technically speaking this game would be a draw.
    Piece capture at 104, so no draw
  10. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 02:33
    You missed a mate in 2 on move 110. Your opponent was in zugzwang all you had to do was move the rook up the b-file and your opponent would have no choice but to play Kd1.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 02:42
    Originally posted by KnightStalker47
    You missed a mate in 2 on move 110. Your opponent was in zugzwang all you had to do was move the rook up the b-file and your opponent would have no choice but to play Kd1.
    Cool
  12. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 02:42
    Originally posted by deenny
    Piece capture at 104, so no draw
    🙂
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 11:28
    You could have saved yourself a lot of grief on move 52 with 52. Rxe7 Kxe7 53. c5 for an easily won king and pawn ending (e.g. 53. ... Ke6 54. c6 and the pawn can't be stopped).
  14. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 13:37
    Originally posted by Geminiash
    I would say the opposite. There's no obligation to accept every offered game even if it fits the parameters within which you've agreed that other people should be able to offer you games.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Mar '14 16:38
    Originally posted by Vartiovuori
    I would say the opposite. There's no obligation to accept every offered game even if it fits the parameters within which you've agreed that other people should be able to offer you games.
    That's why I have max games at 0. It seemed strange when I got here that any chucklehead could just dump a game in my inbox and I actively had to cancel it to get rid of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree