Scid

Scid

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
26 Jul 07

Originally posted by synesis
Actually, the newer version of SCID on the prolinux site does support UCI engines. See the following part of the new feature list: http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/scid_newfeatures.html#seriousgame

Before upgrading to the new SCID, I could only use Fruit (a UCI engine) with polyglot. But now with the new SCID, I use Fruit directly and it works great.
Here's a more detailed description of the full UCI engine support in the newer version of SCID:

http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/scid_newfeatures.html#ucienginesupport

t

Moves
26 Jul 07

Does anybody use either of these databases (of any other) to store their opening repertoire? I am interested in doing so and was wondering what other people's experiences were like. I don't think I can justify costs of ChessBase at my level just and I wondered what alternatives others have tried? Thanks in advance.

s

Moves
26 Jul 07
2 edits

Originally posted by tapestry
Does anybody use either of these databases (of any other) to store their opening repertoire? I am interested in doing so and was wondering what other people's experiences were like. I don't think I can justify costs of ChessBase at my level just and I wondered what alternatives others have tried? Thanks in advance.
I'd be interested to hear about that too. I've been using SCID to store my games and every other game I can find a PGN of, for analyzing and annotating my games and those in books I read, and for tactical training (the new version of SCID comes with a bunch of tactical problems you can practice against)... but I haven't yet created an opening repertoire in SCID.

I know it has the ability to do so, either through its Repertoire Editor ( http://scid.sourceforge.net/help/Repertoire.html ) or through the new Opening Trainer ( http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/scid_newfeatures.html#opTrainer ) but I haven't tried either yet.

So if anyone has any experience with those, I'd also be interested to hear.

M

Moves
26 Aug 07

This is all pretty confusing stuff but it seems like the majority of you like SCID. I guess I'll download it and try it out. I might as well just buy ChessBase 🙁

s

Moves
26 Aug 07
1 edit

Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
This is all pretty confusing stuff but it seems like the majority of you like SCID. I guess I'll download it and try it out. I might as well just buy ChessBase 🙁
I don't understand the reasoning in what you said...

1) Most of us like SCID.

Yes.

2) You're going to download it and try it out.

Makes sense, considering how popular SCID is. And it's free.

3) You might as well just buy ChessBase.

Wait. What? Where did that come from? This conclusion does not follow from 1 and 2. 🙂

Of course, you could buy ChessBase. But why? If you find out that SCID meets your needs, why not just use SCID ?

M

Moves
29 Aug 07

Yeah that was a confusing statement.

I just downloaded SCID and it's working great, but I can't figure out how to edit the PGN Window immedietely. When I try to change the PGN heading, like the tournament, round, time control of the game, etc., it doesn't let me. Anyone know how?

i

Moves
29 Aug 07

Yeah that was a confusing statement.

I just downloaded SCID and it's working great, but I can't figure out how to edit the PGN Window immedietely. When I try to change the PGN heading, like the tournament, round, time control of the game, etc., it doesn't let me. Anyone know how?
Yes, press either Ctrl+S (to save as a new game) or Ctrl+R (to replace the current game), and it lets you change the headers at that time.

M

Moves
29 Aug 07

Ok
I've already annotated a game on Scid it's terrific

s

Moves
30 Aug 07
1 edit

Ok
I've already annotated a game on Scid it's terrific