The King's the Thing !

The King's the Thing !

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
19 Mar 15
1 edit

Vasily Borisovich Malinin v V Andreev, 1989 Just watch and enjoy

K

Moves
19 Mar 15

St40,
Thanks. White was patient, but how did he or she keep the nerve to go through that with Black on his or her case?

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
19 Mar 15
2 edits

muy impressive!

L

Moves
19 Mar 15

Maverick and classy. Unbelievable!

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
19 Mar 15

Great game, but white was never that far down on material. Black had to keep giving back material. Keeping track of the sacrifices: on move 11 there's the initial exchange sacrifice, then on move 16 black gave back a piece to facilitate an attack (so it's two pieces for a rook at that stage), this is black's only voluntary sacrifice. Then on move 19 there's the queen sacrifice. On move 20 black's unconditionally forced to give up a bishop and to avoid checkmate has to give up a rook on move 23. That leaves rook and 4 minor pieces again Q+R+B, which is dead level, in fact white was briefly a pawn up. Then on move 28 white gives up a bishop and then a rook for the final checkmating attack. I wonder if black could take the knight on move 27 or just try for a repetition with Qxe2 then. It's nice to see the Benko torn to pieces.

s

Moves
21 Mar 15

Originally posted by KingOnPoint
St40,
Thanks. White was patient, but how did he or she keep the nerve to go through that with Black on his or her case?
White certainly had big balls, I get the rook sac but don't think I would ever have seen the queen sac

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Mar 15

Originally posted by st40
White certainly had big balls, I get the rook sac but don't think I would ever have seen the queen sac
You might, white's in some trouble without it. Black also has an attack and necessity is the mother of invention.