19 Oct '23 22:53

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '23 04:24
    @venda said
    True, but it does It does if ice melts from the land, which a considerable amount of it does,especially in the Antarctic
    Land ice isn’t sea ice.

Is your “considerable” amount of melting land ice as much as the trillions of tons of sea ice which the article Sonhouse linked was talking about.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '23 04:41
    @sonhouse said
    @venda
    And now we know, such melting is accelerating in Greenland. If all the ice there melted word on the street has sea levels rising 7 METERS, 23 feet.
    Goodbye Manhattan, most of Florida, my old home, Venice Beach, Santa Monica and the like, and a lot of islands covered, like where I once worked, Andros Island in the Bahama's, there is a British submarine base there ca ...[text shortened]... r canyon over a mile deep, a hundred miles long and about 30 miles wide, that base would be history.
    Actually if all the land ice melted is would be much higher at approximately 70 meters.

Sources (they all have their headlines) say sea levels have risen by 6.5 inches since 1950 with 3 inches of that being in the last twenty years. An intermediate estimate by climate.gov indicates a 2 foot rise in sea level above 1990 levels, by 2080. This doesn’t line up with “3 inches in the last 20 years”. Every article one reads gives different results and different forecasts.

The ice is melting for sure, but I live inland and several hundred feet above sea level. Furthermore I’ll be long dead by 2080 and I don’t have any offspring to worry about, so I’ll be using the wood burner this winter.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Oct '23 23:371 edit
    @divegeester
    Good luck with that🙂

https://www.quora.com/Is-having-a-fireplace-or-a-wood-burning-stove-in-your-home-bad-for-your-health

But the gist of the rising sea issue, don't buy land in Florida if you are say 20 and expect to live there your whole life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree