1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 09:59
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Perhaps isopropanol is not volatile enough to be measurable in this set up.
    Here's some data from Wikipedia: at 25 Celcius water has a viscosity of 0.8937 mPa·s, ethanol 1.074 mPa s at 25 °C, and isopropanol 1.96 mPa s. Wikipedia doesn't give the viscosity of liquid butane, but both my intuition and experience of shaking the lighter gas tin causes me to think it's lower than water. I think you're right about the reason for the lack of effect with isopropanol being viscosity related.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Nov '15 11:29
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Here's some data from Wikipedia: at 25 Celcius water has a viscosity of 0.8937 mPa·s, ethanol 1.074 mPa s at 25 °C, and isopropanol 1.96 mPa s. Wikipedia doesn't give the viscosity of liquid butane, but both my intuition and experience of shaking the lighter gas tin causes me to think it's lower than water. I think you're right about the reason for the lack of effect with isopropanol being viscosity related.
    That is new for me, learn something new everyday, I say.

Didn't know volatility and viscosity were related. Makes sense when you think about it though. I would imagine honey as not being terribly volatile🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree