1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 17:551 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    the delusion rate of most gasses into liquids generally but not necessarily increases with increasing temperature. This is due to the molecules moving around faster as the temperature increases. However, the solubility of CO2 in water actually decreases with increase temperature of the water. I am not sure how that might effect the delusion rate of CO2 i ...[text shortened]... l about one-quarter down:
    http://www.rmprocesscontrol.co.uk/Technical.htm
    and see the graph.
    Thankyou, it seems that in the case of a brew (I am sure there is a scientific word for this, like saturated solution but cannot be sure) that a lower temperature would facilitate a better delusion (is that the correct word?) of CO2 into beer if I understand you correctly.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 18:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Thankyou, it seems that in the case of a brew (I am sure there is a scientific word for this, like saturated solution but cannot be sure) that a lower temperature would facilitate a better delusion (is that the correct word?) of CO2 into beer if I understand you correctly.
    Diffusion probably, I don't know the technical term, but delusion is an idea held that is false.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 19:251 edit
    a lower temperature would facilitate a better delusion
    I didn't know that! I learn something new every day.
    Actually, I was saying I am unsure (about the diffusion, not about the delusion).
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Feb '15 20:28
    Originally posted by humy
    I didn't know that! I learn something new every day.
    Actually, I was saying I am unsure (about the diffusion, not about the delusion).
    Having thought about it we are describing dissolving carbon dioxide in impure water. Heating water certainly causes dissolved gasses to come out of it, so the colder it is the more gas can be dissolved. The way to make a noun out of a verb in English is to add -ing so a better dissolving - doesn't sound right. A stronger solution maybe?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '15 12:44
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Diffusion probably, I don't know the technical term, but delusion is an idea held that is false.
    sure alas we are mere mortals and prone to aberration!
  6. In your face
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 12:351 edit
    Maybe the process of dissolving CO2 would be made faster if all the currently dissolved none CO2 gas was driven off by heating and then letting the liquid cool down in a sealed vessel with the CO2 present? Who knows? Why would you want to promote CO2 absorption in the first place though? Once any yeast culture is giving it welly, the must will become saturated with CO2 quite naturally.

As for bleach, a friend of mine had a brewery and he used hyperchlorite solution to sterilise, which in layman's terms is bleach. Domestos adverts claims it kills 99.9 % of germs dead, so I think we can take it that bleach is a good sanitiser.

I brew wine myself and I have started using bleach rather than campden tablets, as it not only sterlises my glass demijohns, it also removes the skeggy stuff from the previous brew and produces sparkling clean containers.

Campden tablets are the sanitiser advised by all home brew books that I have read. They contain sodium metabisulphate which releases sulphuur dioxide into the water solution on disolving of them. This kills of any unwanted natural yeasts and is not toxic. I wouldn't recommend drinking concentrated solutions of it though. Eggy burps!
  7. In your face
    Moves
    22 Feb '15 12:35
    sure alas we are mere mortals and prone to aberration!
    Not like you to be so forgiving Rab?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 20:33
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Maybe the process of dissolving CO2 would be made faster if all the currently dissolved none CO2 gas was driven off by heating and then letting the liquid cool down in a sealed vessel with the CO2 present? Who knows? Why would you want to promote CO2 absorption in the first place though? Once any yeast culture is giving it welly, the must will becom ...[text shortened]... and is not toxic. I wouldn't recommend drinking concentrated solutions of it though. Eggy burps!
    Normally an initial fermentation takes place and the CO2 is allowed to bleed off through an air lock. There is simply not enough pressure in a large fermentation vessel to infuse the beer with CO2 produced solely by the yeast.

When the yeast has converted the fermentable sugars into alcohol it usually flocculates (coagulates and falls to the bottom of the vessel) leaving a large yeast cake and the beer is transferred to a secondary vessel. Here it is infused with CO2 in canisters or as the homebrewer usually does, its bottled with added dextrose which causes a secondary fermentation in the bottle which infuses the beer with enough CO2 to produce head retention and mouth feel.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 20:34
    Not like you to be so forgiving Rab?
    I have forgiven you despite treating me horribly leading up to the Scottish referendum on independence.
  10. In your face
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 22:14
    I have forgiven you despite treating me horribly leading up to the Scottish referendum on independence.
    I think you have mistaken me with someone else?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Feb '15 23:22
    I think you have mistaken me with someone else?
    yes its entirely possible and I beg forgiveness if I have.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree