1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Sep '23 08:31
    @Ponderable
    It's funny that now it was INDIA who actually landed a rover on the south pole of the moon. The Russian craft crashed, I think two of them failed.
    Another point about India, that whole program cost less than 100 million.
    We would have paid that much for the frigging LAUNCHER🙂
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Oct '23 07:08
    @sonhouse said
    @Ponderable
    It's funny that now it was INDIA who actually landed a rover on the south pole of the moon. The Russian craft crashed, I think two of them failed.
    Another point about India, that whole program cost less than 100 million.
    We would have paid that much for the frigging LAUNCHER🙂
    In fact yes, India is on its way and we will see some more succes in future I think.

If Russia can hold its status is less clear. I think the last mission was more a political signal than a cientific endeavour. But failures don't sell well, even in Russia.

Back to the OP: China was unveiling more of thier plans. They plan to have a moon base, and with the chineses system I believe they will succeed. If on the timeline given is the only question.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Oct '23 10:33
    @wildgrass
    China is very advanced technologically speaking, they landed the first rover on the backside of the moon, something no other country succeeded in doing. Think of what that means, just the tech involved. I means they had to have a probe in orbit around the moon to relay data from the rover to the probe and then back to Earth from a distance of a quarter million miles because the only way a transmitter on the backside could send signals is away from Earth as opposed to the 'front' side where Earth is plainly visible from the moon.
    That is high tech in itself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree