Exoplanet News

Exoplanet News

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Apr 22

@Liljo
Now to finish that wormhole🙂 what is needed is tons of negative energy which I don't have a clue what that really is but apparently some of the stuff has already been made so it is not outside possibility for man made wormholes but the amount needed to hold the throat open would probably be millions of tons. They said gravity would try to force the throat of the thing closed which is why you need this negative energy thing. Anyone have a clue as to just what negative energy is?

Moves
22 Apr 22

@sonhouse said
@Liljo
Now to finish that wormhole🙂 what is needed is tons of negative energy which I don't have a clue what that really is but apparently some of the stuff has already been made so it is not outside possibility for man made wormholes but the amount needed to hold the throat open would probably be millions of tons. They said gravity would try to force the throat of the thi ...[text shortened]... h is why you need this negative energy thing. Anyone have a clue as to just what negative energy is?
Negative Energy:
Energy that doesn't have anything positive to say!

LOL!
I have no idea, 'House man. Let me smoke on it!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Apr 22

@Liljo
Beat u 2 it🙂

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
02 May 22

https://phys.org/news/2022-04-rocky-exoplanets-nearby-star.html

two more exoplanets in the relative vicinity reported.

Moves
06 May 22

Total up 7 more. New known total: 5021

https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/

Moves
13 May 22

9 more found. Total confirmed: 5030

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 May 22

@Liljo
The ones I want to know more about are the closest ones, around one of the triple Alpha Centuari system. If there is a viable planet there, first, if we can get there, it is three stars in one so that is a huge bonus and it would be the first place to go if we ever get propulsion capable of say .5 c. That would be a trip time of about 8 years, a lot better than some kind of generation ship that you live in for two thousand years before you get to your destination.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 May 22
1 edit

@liljo said

I enjoy country living under dark skies.
You're very blessed to be away from the light pollution of urban centers.

I can barely see anything at night from my own backyard because of the unshielded glow which is the city of Phoenix. I mean, I can see big stuff, like eclipses, but stuff like the moons of Jupiter is almost impossible to see unless I drag my telescope out. The only way I get to do any good stargazing is to get the heck outta town.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
14 May 22

@sonhouse said
@Liljo
The ones I want to know more about are the closest ones, around one of the triple Alpha Centuari system. If there is a viable planet there, first, if we can get there, it is three stars in one so that is a huge bonus and it would be the first place to go if we ever get propulsion capable of say .5 c. That would be a trip time of about 8 years, a lot better than some kind of generation ship that you live in for two thousand years before you get to your destination.
It's mindblowing to know that Alpha Centauri might actually have an habitable planet.

Perhaps that 'Lost in Space' 1960's show wasn't so implausible after all.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
14 May 22

@suzianne said
You're very blessed to be away from the light pollution of urban centers.

I can barely see anything at night from my own backyard because of the unshielded glow which is the city of Phoenix. I mean, I can see big stuff, like eclipses, but stuff like the moons of Jupiter is almost impossible to see unless I drag my telescope out. The only way I get to do any good stargazing is to get the heck outta town.
If you drive over to Big Bend National Park you get to see the Milky Way so bright and starry it's frightening.

Moves
16 May 22

@bunnyknight said
If you drive over to Big Bend National Park you get to see the Milky Way so bright and starry it's frightening.
I have actually done that--on a motorcycle. It really is spectacular.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
23 May 22

@Suzianne
Yes, we lived in Scottdale for several years and that was a bit further out and we did get occasional dark skies, but now here in the Pocono "Mountains'', hills really, but there is almost always cloudy skies and I even have a ten inch Dobsinian but can't use it much unless I can convert it to a telephoto lens for photography.

Moves
26 May 22

Five more verified to bring total up to 5035.

Many believe there are far more planets than stars.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 May 22

@Liljo
It will be great if we can figure out what the percentage of dud planets like that close one with a surface temperature of 1700 degrees C compared to Earth-like planets, one in a thousand? Even if the odds were like that there should be a half dozen Earth-like planets we already have noted. Maybe Webb scope can figure out the percentage of nice livable planets Vs ones like Jupiter or Venus.

Moves
31 May 22

@sonhouse said
@Liljo
It will be great if we can figure out what the percentage of dud planets like that close one with a surface temperature of 1700 degrees C compared to Earth-like planets, one in a thousand? Even if the odds were like that there should be a half dozen Earth-like planets we already have noted. Maybe Webb scope can figure out the percentage of nice livable planets Vs ones like Jupiter or Venus.
Officially, the count goes like this:

Neptune-like 1766
Super Earth 1570
Gas Giant (mostly hot Jupiters) 1507
Terrestrial 187
Unknown 5