1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 17:51
    http://www.zmescience.com/science/psychology-science/women-feminine-traits-science/

sexism raises its ugly head. Again.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 20:15
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.zmescience.com/science/psychology-science/women-feminine-traits-science/

I don't see how this is real evidence for sexism since it merely shows women scientists with feminine traits in their appearance are less likely to be judged as scientists but that judgment may not be due to sexism but rather merely a subconscious psychological effect that even many none sexist and generally fair minded people may have.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 23:011 edit
    Originally posted by humy
    I don't see how this is real evidence for sexism since it merely shows women scientists with feminine traits in their appearance are less likely to be judged as scientists but that judgment may not be due to sexism but rather merely a subconscious psychological effect that even many none sexist and generally fair minded people may have.
    I agree. People assume the same thing of bodybuilders; that they're probably not intelligent enough to be scientists. I doubt most people would consider that sexism.

Scientists have a stereotype of being comprised of physically unimpressive (geeky) people. A "feminine" woman may be considered too attractive to be a scientist, just like someone who looks like Brad Pitt would be regarded the same way.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 23:10
    Originally posted by vivify
    I agree. People assume the same thing of bodybuilders; that they're probably not intelligent enough to be scientists. I doubt most people would consider that sexism.

Scientists have a stereotype of being comprised of physically unimpressive (geeky) people. A "feminine" woman may be considered too attractive to be a scientist, just like someone who looks like Brad Pitt would be regarded the same way.
    I was wondering about the possibility that what the participants were responding to was an apparent absence of geekiness rather than "masculinity/femininity" (I assume they mean sexual attractiveness by this). However, in that case it points to a difference in perception of what it means to be geeky as a man and as a woman. If a man who is geeky can be perceived as masculine, but a woman who is geeky cannot be perceived as feminine then it implies an imbalance in perceptions of men and women that some may regard as sexist. I think most female scientists are more concerned about equal opportunity, unoppressive working conditions, absence of glass ceilings and so forth.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Jun '16 23:202 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I was wondering about the possibility that what the participants were responding to was an apparent absence of geekiness rather than "masculinity/femininity" (I assume they mean sexual attractiveness by this). However, in that case it points to a difference in perception of what it means to be geeky as a man and as a woman. If a man who is geeky can be ...[text shortened]... bout equal opportunity, unoppressive working conditions, absence of glass ceilings and so forth.
    Geeks are not considered masculine. Every media portrayal of a geeky man involves someone weak-looking who is unattractive to most women.

A geeky woman can be considered feminine, but (like you) I'm assuming the article means "feminine" in an attractive sense.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 19:534 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jun '16 23:51

8. Germany
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 07:16
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I have noticed that some women in science prefer to list only their initials when they are publishing papers (when the option is available), even though these days it is more common to list a full name.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 18:072 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Your thread title isn't accurate. I don't think anyone would say that a feminine woman can never be a scientist. But many people would guess that a feminine woman is unlikely to be a scientist. (not the same thing at all) Judgements like these are not necessarily sexist or racist. They become a problem when people use such judgements to negatively affect someone. So if a feminine looking woman is denied entry to a science conference because of her looks, then that would be sexism.

On a side note, my sister is feminine and a scientist.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 18:182 edits

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 18:29

12. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 20:081 edit

13. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 20:32
    And other women choose to reinforce the stereotype with the dumb blonde syndrome ie either deliberately acting dumb to get attention, or using the 'I'm a pretty girl so don't expect too much of me' excuse for dumb behaviour.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 21:02
    So gender stereotyping would be a girl using two typewriters at once, something a man could never do🙂
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jun '16 21:032 edits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree