Fusion

Fusion

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Über-Nerd

Moves
30 May 22

It’s only 30 years away now (again):

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2022/05/world/iter-nuclear-fusion-climate-intl-cnnphotos/

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
30 May 22

@moonbus said

https://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2022/05/world/iter-nuclear-fusion-climate-intl-cnnphotos/
I attended a lecture while studying chemistry (early 90's). It was called "The history of nuclear technology"

Prof. Gleitsmann supported the thesis that commercial fusion reactors always were and for the foresseable future will be away 30 years. He was right.

Oh and the 30 years represent one generation of reserachers, so young ones believe they will reach the goal, elders want at least to witness it.

Of course we learned a lot about a lot of topics on thew ay to the point we are standing on now.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
30 May 22

@Ponderable
New work is proceeding both on engineering and fundamental findings. The latest is the result of tests showing plasma turbulence goes about ten times faster than heat traveling through the same plasma, which means new means of detecting turbulence
leading to loss of heat can now be predicted in enough time to modulate the magnetic fields used to confine the plasma.

Über-Nerd

Moves
03 Jun 22
1 edit

@sonhouse

As I understand it, one of the main technical issues to be resolved is maintaining a stable magnetic containment 'bottle' under extreme heat.

Planet Rain

Moves
03 Jun 22

@moonbus said

There's a French Asian fusion restaurant less than 30 years from my house. Does that count?

Über-Nerd

Moves
03 Jun 22

@soothfast said
There's a French Asian fusion restaurant less than 30 years from my house. Does that count?
Only if Jeff Beck is playing jazz fusion there, too.

Planet Rain

Moves
03 Jun 22

@moonbus said
Only if Jeff Beck is playing jazz fusion there, too.
Okay. As long as it's clear where the line is drawn.

I remember the big cold fusion kerfuffle of 1989. I wonder what became of those researchers.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Jun 22

@Soothfast
I think they are selling hotdogs on the corner of 5th and Vine.

Moves
04 Jun 22

@sonhouse said
@Soothfast
I think they are selling hotdogs on the corner of 5th and Vine.
One of them is long dead.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Jun 22
1 edit

@Shallow-Blue
There are still fringe groups trying to prove cold fusion works, strangely enough with no success.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-the-current-scien/

w

Moves
06 Jun 22

@moonbus said

the key to science is being wrong. identify the question that is both innovative and solvable with the available tools.

bunny knight

planet Earth

Moves
06 Jun 22

@sonhouse

So once this fusion becomes perfected and cheap, could it be easily weaponized?

Will any angry, frustrated teenager be able to vaporize a city with it?

Planet Rain

Moves
06 Jun 22

@bunnyknight said
@sonhouse

So once this fusion becomes perfected and cheap, could it be easily weaponized?

Will any angry, frustrated teenager be able to vaporize a city with it?
I doubt it. The technology as it's developing would be nowhere near to being portable.

Actually we already have "fusion bombs," otherwise known as hydrogen bombs or thermonuclear weapons. They work, I think, by using a nuclear fission chain reaction to subject deuterium or tritium (heavy forms of hydrogen) to a temperature and pressure sufficient for nuclear fusion to occur. The whole process probably happens in a fraction of a second, which is all that's needed for a big ka-boom, and we've had the know-how to do this for over half a century.

Fusion power reactors, in contrast, must maintain temperatures and pressures sufficient for fusion to occur in a continuous fashion, day in and day out. That's a real challenge.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Jun 22

@bunnyknight
What do you mean? The fusion thing is ALREADY weaponized, that is how you get megaton bombs.
The only thing we will get from fusion is electricity, not much of a way to weaponize a box that weights 300 tons or more🙂 Aircraft carriers have nuclear fission already, enough juice to run for months without stopping, don't think going to fusion would give them much more energy but if they can the end result will be much less dangerous ways to use in terms of nuclear waste.

K
within reason

Moves
06 Jun 22
1 edit

@sonhouse said
@bunnyknight
What do you mean? The fusion thing is ALREADY weaponized, that is how you get megaton bombs.
The only thing we will get from fusion is electricity, not much of a way to weaponize a box that weights 300 tons or more🙂 Aircraft carriers have nuclear fission already, enough juice to run for months without stopping, don't think going to fusion would give them much ...[text shortened]... gy but if they can the end result will be much less dangerous ways to use in terms of nuclear waste.
It's good to avoid making nuclear waste, but how would you get electricity from nuclear fusion? Nuclear reactors (fission) heat water that turns to steam that drive turbans that produce electricity. Does it work the same way with fusion? Would the energy created by fusion be used to heat water for driving turbans? If so how would you get the energy produced by fusion to the water?
Sounds like a daunting (perhaps dangerous?) task to control a fusion reactor.
Sure, no annoying radioactive waste material to deal with, but I wouldn't want to go anywhere near an operating fusion reactor... at least not until (and without a doubt) it is proven to be safe.