1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Oct '23 18:18
    @Metal-Brain
    Space AND time both get stretched around like taffy in the presence of mass as we speak, that is what we feel as gravity, which is just a 4 D falling down a hill which is only an apparent force, sure we are held to the ground by the trillions of tons of Earth under our feet but on the moon, a 600 pound dude would weigh in at 100 pounds because the moon stretches time and space a lot lower than Earth and Earth a lot lower than Sol.
    It is said if we can come up with a massive amount of negative mass that can bend space and maybe go faster than c, but any kind of rocket will have extreme difficulty getting even to HALF c much less full 1 c which is impossible, maybe some rocket tech can get to 99.99999% of c but that is still not 100% c and never will be.
    At least if we CAN go that velocity, the CREW will think they are going faster than c because their time flow speeds up from their perspective, even though their clocks and every molecule in their bodies are in a way different time flow so they go say 1000 light years and maybe to them it only took a year but going back to Earth they find they are 2000 years into Earth's future so everything they knew would be gone, the US, Russia, China, Iran and all the rest totally different and probably would not be there at all assuming people were still around in that era.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '23 23:48
    @kellyjay said
    We live in an unquantifiable sliver of time we call now, its leading edge and trailing edge occupy the same place. No matter where we go there we are, the most important thing is not our location or when, it is who we are and why. 😀
    You are stumbling into fatalism vs. free will.

If there is free will the future is not predetermined. That makes time travel impossible because the future is not set in stone.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Oct '23 11:10
    @metal-brain said
    You are stumbling into fatalism vs. free will.

If there is free will the future is not predetermined. That makes time travel impossible because the future is not set in stone.
    I disagree, having free will means we make the choices we make, they are not written in advance so we could do no other. Knowing the choices we make freely due to someone who transcends time doesn't alter who makes the choices. If our choices are nothing but what has been written for us in advance, we would be no different than characters in a book, walking out our lives with the lines written for us, nothing more. So is free will possible if we are nothing but the end product of material forces alone acting on material forces? Wouldn't that make us products of natural determination alone, we act no different than dominos knocking over each other as they were lined to do so. If one looks at all of this from a transcendent perspective it is both in flux as we make our own choices, and the end is known due to being outside of time itself as well, there would be no contradiction between fatalism and free will.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Oct '23 17:35
    @KellyJay
    It is then your God's free will that has put life in general on Earth in immediate peril? This is how your god runs Earth? Or is it all the fault of mankind while your god watches and maybe hoping humankind will cause their own extinction therefore freeing Earth for some REAL contenders of guardians of Earth, you have to admit we are doing a piss poor job of that now. Human caused climate change will be melting all the glaciers in Greenland, which is in progress as we speak, when that happens the ocean level goes up by about ten feet and goodbye Manhattan, Florida, and my former home, Venice Beach and places I worked, like Andros Island in the Bahamas and all those low lying islands, I guess your god must be pleased at that since it has not done a thing to change any of that, so it must be happening with the approval of your god.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Oct '23 19:15
    @sonhouse said
    @KellyJay
    It is then your God's free will that has put life in general on Earth in immediate peril? This is how your god runs Earth? Or is it all the fault of mankind while your god watches and maybe hoping humankind will cause their own extinction therefore freeing Earth for some REAL contenders of guardians of Earth, you have to admit we are doing a piss poor job of that ...[text shortened]... t has not done a thing to change any of that, so it must be happening with the approval of your god.
    If we loved and cared for one another it would be a different place. What we were placed in charge of was cursed instead of blessed, it will be what it was meant to be.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '23 05:24
    @kellyjay said
    I disagree, having free will means we make the choices we make, they are not written in advance so we could do no other. Knowing the choices we make freely due to someone who transcends time doesn't alter who makes the choices. If our choices are nothing but what has been written for us in advance, we would be no different than characters in a book, walking out our lives w ...[text shortened]... eing outside of time itself as well, there would be no contradiction between fatalism and free will.
    I disagree.
    In order for the future to be set in stone your choices are not really choices because they are predetermined. You may think you had a choice to eat healthier, but for time travel to be possible you would have had no choice but to eat healthier. Then you have what is referred to as the butterfly effect. Every little seemingly insignificant choice could change everything. Choice would have to be an illusion. We only think we had a choice to post these comments on here. It would have to be fate we are doing this instead of something else.

Fatalism is the only way time travel could be possible. Everything would have to be predetermined with only the illusion of choice/ free will. Otherwise you would have to apply the many worlds theory and traveling into the future would have multiple realities and you would have no idea which reality you would find. Then there is the time travel paradox which should not be able to happen.

Time travel is too messy to happen. Altering the past would alter your future and so on. Even the slightest disturbance of the timeline would change everything.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    11 Oct '23 08:21
    @metal-brain said
    I disagree.
    In order for the future to be set in stone your choices are not really choices because they are predetermined. You may think you had a choice to eat healthier, but for time travel to be possible you would have had no choice but to eat healthier. Then you have what is referred to as the butterfly effect. Every little seemingly insignificant choice could change ...[text shortened]... alter your future and so on. Even the slightest disturbance of the timeline would change everything.
    How do you explain the numerous "alleged" alien sightings over the years?
    Are they all just fiction?
    With all the diverse life forms on this tiny insignificant planet isn't it strange that supposed aliens from other worlds have bodies similar in many ways to ours?
    I can't explain the time travel paradox-the go back in time and kill your own grandmother thing,but isn't it possible that we have had visits from human beings from the future?
    It would certainly add another dimension to the title of this thread i.e how long have humans got?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '23 19:30
    @metal-brain said
    I disagree.
    In order for the future to be set in stone your choices are not really choices because they are predetermined. You may think you had a choice to eat healthier, but for time travel to be possible you would have had no choice but to eat healthier. Then you have what is referred to as the butterfly effect. Every little seemingly insignificant choice could change ...[text shortened]... alter your future and so on. Even the slightest disturbance of the timeline would change everything.
    We can’t even agree there is a common now in this universe.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '23 19:31
    @metal-brain said
    I disagree.
    Personally I think the only time travel we do is pass through now.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    11 Oct '23 23:33
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Oct '23 12:08
    @kellyjay said
    I imagine I've already lived longer than 3/4 of my life. Beyond the grave how long this world lasts will not matter to me.
    In contrast, I want the human species to thrive long after I am dead.

That atheism for you, I guess.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '23 17:181 edit
    @venda
    There have also been thousands of 'sightings' of bigfoot and such over the centuries but not a shred of physical proof, not even a hair that could be genetically analyzed, the ones that were suspected turned out to be ordinary bears.

The one piece of evidence that is more credible is audio of alleged Bigfoot captured by tape recorders in the field around the year 1971.
    Very compelling but not one photo and the photo's we have are all blurry which means it could be a joker in a bigfoot costume and there was one very recently with the same problem, cell phone video this time I think in Scotland and saw the being crouch down in a field but again, so far away it would have taken a good telephoto lens on a real camera, Canon, Nikon or the like.
    Expanding that video to max just revealed yet another blurry image. Just like all the photo's of UFO's where there was radar tracking and so forth but the video shows only a few pixels, so till we get physical evidence like an actual alien ship crash with obvious aliens inside we are in the dark.

Which is not to say I would deny the possibility of aliens, of course there are aliens, even in our own galaxy there are billions of stars and billions or more planets and there are billions of galaxies so it would be the height of arrogance to suggest we are the only life forms in the galaxy, our region of space is just like another at our distance from the center of the galaxy so any star in our vicinity could have life bearing planets and we know there are dozens of planets in the 'goldilocks' zone where liquid water could at least theoretically exist which would say there could also be life and now the James Webb scope has picked up Dimethyl Sulphide which on Earth only comes from life on Earth which doesn't prove it couldn't come from natural processes but it is still the only show in town right now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree