1. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    18 Sep '23 10:181 edit
    Have you read/watched about the research into 'Blue Zone's and did it change your life?
    Do we have anyone living in a Blue Zone (high concentration on centenarians)?
    The only USA Blue Zone is Loma Linda where Seventh Day Adventists' lifestyle and community contribute to longevity.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Sep '23 08:43
    @yo-its-me
    Well my family has entries, my great grandpa lived to over 100, 103 or so, my Grandma lived to 104, my mom lived to 100, and I am on my way at 82, working full time 5 and 6 days a week and composing music on Soundcloud, up to 301 tracks there now and I wrote a paper on gravitational lensing which is sited in another paper I hear is soon to come out.
    And a rating here and USCF of 1700+.
    Other than that, I am just another dodo🙂
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Sep '23 13:40
    @sonhouse said
    @yo-its-me
    Well my family has entries, my great grandpa lived to over 100, 103 or so, my Grandma lived to 104, my mom lived to 100, and I am on my way at 82, working full time 5 and 6 days a week and composing music on Soundcloud, up to 301 tracks there now and I wrote a paper on gravitational lensing which is sited in another paper I hear is soon to come out.
    Nice. So what is your diet like. Im 67, and about 10 yrs now I have avoided, carbonated beverages [except beer of course], processed meat, white flour, fast food and most factory made foods.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    20 Sep '23 15:42
    @rajk999 said
    Nice. So what is your diet like. Im 67, and about 10 yrs now I have avoided, carbonated beverages [except beer of course], processed meat, white flour, fast food and most factory made foods.
    I hope chocolate contributes to longevity. Tell me chocolate contributes to longevity. I like 72%+ cocoa, less sugar.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Sep '23 20:35
    @moonbus said
    I hope chocolate contributes to longevity. Tell me chocolate contributes to longevity. I like 72%+ cocoa, less sugar.
    Apparently it is .. dark chocolate is on the list. One of my favourites too.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    21 Sep '23 09:22
    @sonhouse said
    @yo-its-me
    Wow!!
    Hat's off to you indeed.
    Still working at 82 is amazing let alone the other achievements you have going.
    One of the messages from the research was that in the Blue Zones there is sometimes no word for 'retirement'.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Sep '23 12:26
    @moonbus said
    I have read this and I buy dark chocolate at 85% or above.
    Every week in my Saturday paper there is something about "how to live longer",or "how to improve your memory or some other health advice.
    If I read the articles,I can always say to myself ,yes do that for a lot of the stuff they advise you to do.
    Then they always finish with "avoid alcohol",and "do more exercise"
    Goodbye!
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    21 Sep '23 12:46
    @venda said
    Every week in my Saturday paper there is something about "how to live longer",or "how to improve your memory or some other health advice.
    If I read the articles,I can always say to myself ,yes do that for a lot of the stuff they advise you to do.
    Goodbye!
    You might like to watch the Blue Zones because they look at both alcohol and exercise and centenarians do drink (but it's wine they made themselves without extras) and don't exercise per se (but they also don't stop moving).
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Sep '23 14:08
    @venda said
    Goodbye!
    Same with me. I ignore the health advice to avoid alcohol. Alcohol has its place in a good health regimen. Doctors and medical practicioners can be very biased in favour on certain habits and practices.

I try to take health advice which conforms to the bible .. eg
    - the bible says to eat meat, so I will oppose the drive by vegans and Peta to get the world to stop killing animals.
    - the bible says to fast, so doctors that say to eat 3 square meals a day is not giving good advice. It is only recently doctors started recommending intermittent fasting.
    - the bible recommends milk, honey, fresh natural foods, so lots of processing and factory foods are not good. Eg there was a drive several decades ago to discourage butter and encourage margerine and other trans fats. This proved to be a disaster.
    - the bible recommends alcohol for stress relief.
    - natural sugars instead of high fructose corn syrup is another example.

In the end we will still die, so remember to live well, be happy, be generous, keep busy. Its all about how one balances everything that needs to be done, without being extreme.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Sep '23 10:16
    @rajk999 said
    Same with me. I ignore the health advice to avoid alcohol. Alcohol has its place in a good health regimen. Doctors and medical practicioners can be very biased in favour on certain habits and practices.

I try to take health advice which conforms to the bible .. eg
    - the bible says to eat meat, so I will oppose the drive by vegans and Peta to get the world to stop kil ...[text shortened]... , keep busy. Its all about how one balances everything that needs to be done, without being extreme.
    Personally, I think medical advice is often contradictory, and sometimes based on non-representative samples. Some studies have shown that moderate alcohol use contributes to longer lifespans than either immoderate use or complete abstention. This leads me to believe that there may not be a simple causal-physiological connection between alcohol and longevity. I would prefer to believe that happy, relaxed people live longer, because their bodies are subjected to less continuous stress. Quality of life counts for something, in my opinion, and moderate consumption of alcohol and chocolate are part of my quality of life. Of course, this is partly due to social conditioning -- for example, Muslims, who typically abstain from alcohol, would not experience even moderate consumption of alcohol as a socially relaxing element in their lives.
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Sep '23 09:07
    @moonbus said
    Personally, I think medical advice is often contradictory, and sometimes based on non-representative samples. Some studies have shown that moderate alcohol use contributes to longer lifespans than either immoderate use or complete abstention. This leads me to believe that there may not be a simple causal-physiological connection between alcohol and longevity. I would prefer ...[text shortened]... d not experience even moderate consumption of alcohol as a socially relaxing element in their lives.
    I agree.
    One week some product or other is bad for you,the next time you read an article it's good.
    I think the answer is contained in one well known statement:-
    "Moderation in all things"
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Sep '23 20:36
    @venda said
    I agree.
    One week some product or other is bad for you,the next time you read an article it's good.
    I think the answer is contained in one well known statement:-
    "Moderation in all things"
    I am excessively moderate. In most things.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Sep '23 11:541 edit
    Recent conclusions from medical science .. meat eating leads to longer life than vegans or reduced meat consumption.

Google - "The #1 Food Linked to Life Expectancy (Sorry Blue Zones)"
  14. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '23 22:02
    @yo-its-me said
    Have you read/watched about the research into 'Blue Zone's and did it change your life?
    Do we have anyone living in a Blue Zone (high concentration on centenarians)?
    The only USA Blue Zone is Loma Linda where Seventh Day Adventists' lifestyle and community contribute to longevity.
    Several of these areas - iwo jima and Sardinia - are inbred and genetically homogeneous compared to mainland populations. Is this addressed on the show?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Oct '23 18:39
    @Rajk999
    Funny thing about me, I try to eat well, I love spinach and such but I work second shift and find myself eating a lot of Arby's chicken sandwiches for lunch🙂 My biggest exercise for the week is mowing the lawn with my lawn tractor🙂 But I do compose a lot of music, up to 311 tracks on soundcloud now that folk music is pretty much dead as a paying proposition, I have played in 4 bands but no gigs around for folkies like me unless you count the hundred bucks you MIGHT get playing at old folks homes singing Danny Boy *shudder*🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree